Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:29 PM   #1

I'm ready to take the plunge! I've been looking at the Nikon D50, then I read the review of the D40 and was almost convinced to buy it. I understand you need to use the newer Nikon lenses with the D40, so that's one drawback, but I don't have a stock of Nikon lenses to use anyway, so will that be a problem for me? I also will probably use manual focus for the most part - especially when I'm taking artistic photos; but will use auto focus to quickly capture my kids.

I've also seen the Canon Rebel XT and liked it too.

I guess I can't really go wrong with either camera. I'm someone who takes lots of family photos and lots of scenic/artisic photos at the same locations, so aside from the stock 18-55mm lens, I'll be looking for a 200x or 300x, and possibly a macro lens.

Who knows what I might want in the future, but for now these cameras are in my budget.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:42 PM   #2

Well, I guess I'll be the first to recommend Pentax. The K100D with kit lens is a great value. Plus, since you plan to use manual focus, Pentax will use any Pentax-mount lens ever made, meaning you can get some great old lenses for not a lot of money. However, you'll have trouble find fast telephoto lenses (meaning something faster than F4.0). Nikon and Canon have lots of (expensive) choices in those areas, Pentax not that many. You can find long lenses for Pentax, just not the high performance ones that the sports shoots want.

With the general kind of photography you're planning to do, any of the dSLRs should suit you fine.

Good luck on your journey, and remember, most of the advice you'll get online is worth what it cost you. :lol: Ultimately, it's your decision.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3

I looked into the K100D a little bit, but didn't get in depth. How does it compare to the Nikon and Canon in general?

One thing I liked about the K100D was that it took AA batteries too - I love that about my Fuji 5100- if you run out of batteries, you can buy some to get that last shot.

Thanks
lapstrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:55 PM   #4

All three make very capable cameras - there are differences in ergonomics (some people will like one over the other) and that is extemely important - the first thing to check out. The best camera in the world won't takegood pictures if it is in your closet becauseyou don't like carrying and using it.

If image stabilization is important to you, then the Pentax could work out cheaper. The Shake Reduction is built into the camera bodyrather than the lens. With Canon and Nikon you have to buy more expensive lenses to get IS. I sure appreciate the fact that my older A*300 f4(excellent lens that I bought used) is stabilized and cost less than $1,000 several months ago.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:05 AM   #5

I own the K100d and was considering the Canon XT as well. The Nikons never appealed to me though.

If you plan on shooting mostly action, then I'd probably go with the XT. It's a better performer in general, can shoot continuously for a much longer time, and has better in-camera processing on JPGs. However, many do not care for the ergonomics.

If you consider yourself more the artsy type, if you're on a budget, or if you just like playing around in Photoshop, I feel the K100d has more advantages. When shooting RAW it's image quality is comparable to the Canon. Built in stabilization is a boon for shooting in low light or at long telephoto. If you don't mind manually focusing (and perhaps doing a few other things manually), you can get an entire collection of quality used lenses for the price of a single Canon lens. It's weakness is in it's small buffer (can only shoot 7 JPGs or 3 RAWs in a burst, I believe), and it's poor white balance indoors (irrelevent if shooting RAW). Also, I don't think it's noise removal is as good as the XT, so in general it's JPGs aren't as good.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:54 PM   #6

I own a Sony Alpha 100 but I bought this as I am an old Minolta user and had several lenses, so my choice was really a no brainer - why discard perfectly good lenses. Anyway I love the camera as the images are really sharp and that is what I want in a camera..

I would advise you to handle all the cameras that you have shortlisted and go with the one you are most comfortable with. I handles the Canon 400D and although I know it's a good camera, the grip was far too small for my large hands. The final choice is up to you - you will have to live with the camera.
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:53 PM   #7

Hey everyone, my dad owns a d200 and we recently went on a trip out in Austin. He tought me alot and I got real into photography. I am really thinking about a D40 but have a quick question, does it have any type of isolated, or selective focus?

Thanks,
Matt

Heres a cool little shot I took using my dad's d200 and isolated focus, just messing around.

DJ Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:00 PM   #8

lapstrake wrote:
Quote:
One thing I liked about the K100D was that it took AA batteries too - I love that about my Fuji 5100- if you run out of batteries, you can buy some to get that last shot.
I was actually the opposite, the use of AA's si what steered me AWAY from the pentax to a D50. The rechargable LiON battery has many advantages:

-Less effected by cold. When the temps drop the life of a NiMH drops quickly.

-The battery life in the D50 is excellent. I've gotten over 800 shots with the stock LiON battery on a single charge in my D50 with a mixture of flash and no flash shots, and I still had lots of battery life left. I've not read anecdotal evidence like this about the K series cameras while I've read it often about the D50.

JinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:22 PM   #9

I can't really give too much help on the battery question as I have yet to drain my AA Eneloops. I know that I can get several hundred shots on 4 batteries, but I've never seen the battery meter go below half charged. Also, I don't use the flash much, and since I'm using mostly manual focus lenses I guess that probably drains the batteries even less.

If this helps, on one day I left the camera on for about 4 hours straight while I took about 270 photos, all with a manual focus lens. They were a mix of RAW and JPG and completely filled a 1 gig card. I probably used the flash about 10 times or so. It was about 10 degrees F where I was shooting, but I don't know if that counts as cold. When we were done, I went through all the photos, zooming in on details and deleting photos I didn't need. I never had to change batteries, and it seemed like there was enough charge left to do it all again.

Anyway, I just like the fact that it was only $25 for 8 batteries and a 4 battery overnight charger, and that if I need more they are so readily available.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:38 PM   #10

JinE wrote:
Quote:
lapstrake wrote:
Quote:
I was actually the opposite, the use of AA's si what steered me AWAY from the pentax to a D50. The rechargable LiON battery has many advantages:

-Less effected by cold. When the temps drop the life of a NiMH drops quickly.

-The battery life in the D50 is excellent. I've gotten over 800 shots with the stock LiON battery on a single charge in my D50 with a mixture of flash and no flash shots, and I still had lots of battery life left. I've not read anecdotal evidence like this about the K series cameras while I've read it often about the D50.

Let's see...I think I've gone over 1200 shots now since I installed two Lithium CRV3's (Walgreen's brand, $10 for the pair) back before my Thanksgiving trip. The battery meter still shows full. I routinely get 500-600 shots on my NiMH's. Battery life on any of the cameras is a non-issue, IMHO. Unless you happen to shoot 500+ shots at one time.

Russ

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote