Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:14 PM   #11
rey

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Rey-

What software are you using to develop your raw images?

MT/Sarah
I'm using Photoshop Elements 4.0's ACR. It's not as good as ACR that comes with PSCS2 or even the other 3rd party stuff. But my problem with those is they need a newer CPU (instruction set) that my 5yr old AMD Athlon do not have.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:20 PM   #12

Thanks a lot Rey-

Like it or not I am going to have to go 100% raw.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:24 PM   #13
rey

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
My lenses are : Nikkor 18-200mm VR
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro
Tokina 12-24mm f/4
I agree with the other post that these are decent lenses, I have all except the tokina macro.

Are you satisfied with what you get with the 50mm F/1.8? It's probably the sharpest of the bunch.

I love my Nikon 18-200VR, but I have read people say that it doesn't match up with the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 and Nikon 70-200 VR f/2.8. They're probably right (at least I hope so, with the price difference). Depending on what you shoot the most, maybe you should rent one of those lenses and try them out.

The extra megapixel of the D80 and others *may* come into play when shooting foliage, because of edge boundaries of the leaves. But I'd try using better lenses first, before getting a newer body.

Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:27 PM   #14
rey

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Thanks a lot Rey-

Like it or not I am going to have to go 100% raw.

MT/Sarah
I didn't start using RAW until a two or three months after I got my D50, and I really wish I'd started sooner. I just get much better results with them.

Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:22 AM   #15

Yes you guys are right ,raw is the way to go.

I`m going to look into it ,i`m sure i`ll get rid of those soft results,anyway i`ll probably upgrade to the D80 anyway , it has quite a lot of new features i`m looking for.

- better sharper crisper pics out of cam
-possibility of taking pics in B&W personal settings with filters straight out of the camera
-Depth of Field preview
-Super bigger brighter viewfinder
-Very impressive battery life allthough the D50 was allready pretty good in that field.
-The D200 captor module "Multi-CAM 1000"
-Bigger LCD (2.5`)
-Better ISO at 1600

And allthough i`m really not in the megapixels race,the 10m/pixels resolution
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:11 PM   #16

As a loyal Pentax user I say keep the D50! You have a good selection of lenses, well matched to the D50. The 6MP sensor does have better high ISO performance than the 10MP units. Having the 18-200mm VR lens means you have image stabilization through a huge range of focal lengths anyway.

All DSLRs are good, the D50 is one of the best at the bargain end. The "bargain end"does not mean the image quality is in anyway compromised, instead it just means a few high end features may be missing (but not really missed).

Have fun, learn more and practice, practice, practice. It will be a lond time before I grow out of my Pentax *istDL and DS cameras. I will look at the latest and greatest, but to be honest with myself, I must admit that I still have a lot to learn and have not even approached the limits of my current cameras.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote