Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:24 AM   #1

I am looking for a camera to take photos of my busy toddler and baby on the way. I find that I often miss a great shot with my point and shoot because it is so slow (Canon Powershot a520). I also end up too close and my subject looks washed out.

My husband has an old Nikon with with an AFNikkor35-80mm lens and a Tamron AF 28-200mm lens. Are these lenses really worth considering in making my choice? I know they can't be used with the d40.

Here are the cameras with prices I have found:

D40 w/18-55mm lens kit for $345

d50 w/28-80mm Nikkor lensfor $459

d50 w/18-55mm Nikkor lens for $439

d70s w/28-80mm AF lens and 70-300mm AF lens for $539

d70s w/18-55mm Nikon Af lens for $438

Which of these cameras with lens do you think would best meet my needs or which is the best value? I consider myself a beginner with one college photography class. Thanks so much for any help you can give me! Erin
potter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2

Before anyone gives you recommendations on which camera to buy (in my mind, any of them are ok), please tell us where you are planning to buy these cameras. The prices are very, very low. I wonder if you aren't looking at a scam dealer who will charge you incredible amounts for batteries, filters, memory cards, and shipping. Make sure your dealer is reputable before you order any of those cameras.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:02 AM   #3

I agree with robbo-

Those prices are way too low. Please watch out.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:08 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the warning. I thought they seemed low too... almost too good to be true. These are the websites ccicameracity.com, century21electronics.com and usaphotonation.com. I am looking now to see if I can find out if this is a scam. If you have heard anything about them, please let me know. Thanks, Erin
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the warnings everyone. All 3 sites have many consumer complaints and appear to be scams. I feel like an idiot! Thank you so much for stopping me before I gave these people my credit card info! Maybe I should be asking about a reputable site instead...
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:16 AM   #6

Go to www.resellerratings.com for reviews of various etailers.

usaphotonation has a rating of 0.15 out of 10 for the last 6 months. I would avoid them like the plague.

Go to www.pricegrabber.com

Check out prices of cameras there or even on this site. If a site advertises prices much, much lower than places like www.buydig.com or www.bhphotovideo.com, I would be skeptical and would check out their reseller ratings.

As for the cameras, I would probably go for the D50. Sarah will give you a more informed opinion, though, if you tell her your budget and intended use.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:31 AM   #7

Thanks again. I would say my budget would be in the 500-600 range and I would be using the cameraprimarily for family photos. The lighting in my house is not that great and I take a lot of indoor shots of my toddler. I'd like it to be fast so I don't miss good shots and I'd like to be able to take shots at close range without my subject looking washed out. I would consider cameras other than the Nikons I mentioned.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:36 AM   #8

Also consider the Pentax K100D. It has image stabilization and a decent kit lens. You can get it for less than $550 online.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:50 PM   #9

In my price range it looks like I should be considering d40, d50 or Pentax100d. There are a lot of things I like about the Pentax but my concern is that I read a review that says autofocus is very slow in low light. Will that have an impact when taking indoor photos in incandescent lighting? Would the Nikons perform better in this situation?

Also, Can anyone comment on whether our old lenses (mentioned in first post) are worth taking intoconsideration?

Thanks again. Erin
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:15 PM   #10

Erin-

In as much as I got the impression from your first post that you are looking for a virtually instant on and take the photo quick scenario, your old lenses can be used but they will be manual focus on the Nikon D-40, and might work on the D-50, but it is impossible to be absolutely sure without first mounting them on the camera and trying them. How far do they date back? Of course, they will not work on the Pentax K100D DSLR camera.

As the light level falls, all of your proposed cameras will be a bit slower to focus, it is not exclusivel a Pentax pitfall.All three of the DSLR cameras have focus assist lamps, so focusing speed will be slower that outside in sunlight, but still reasonably fast.

I own all three of the DSLR cameras on your list, as I teach digital cameras. I have not had any complaints about really slow focusing. All three cameras will give you the speed,that you want. They do vary somewhat in size, with the D-40 being the smallest, if size is a factor. However none of them will slip into a small handbag.

Erin, please keep in mind that none of the so called kit lenses provided with these three DSLR cameras are fast (wide aperture) lenses. They will not be able to take photos inside without using the camera's built-in flash unit. if your plan is to take photos of your children using just the existing room lighting, you are going to have to purchase an extra fast (wide aperture) lens. The lenses that you will need and that are the least expensive lenses are 50mm lenses. F 1.8 lenses for Pentax or the Nikon D-50 run about $110 to$125. There are no really fast lenses available for the D-40, because it is resticted to using the AF-S and AF-I type lenses.

I am not attempting to rain on your parade but I think that I should tell you some of the things I tell all my students who are looking at DSLR cameras.

(1) The images from the D-40 will have more in-camera processing, than the other two cameras, thus making their imagessort of look somewhat like the photos coming from most point and shoot cameras. But the degree of the post processing will still be less that the post processing found on point and shoot cameras. However, the general situation is that DSLR images will require some post processing to look their best. So you will have to ask yourself, Erin, if you like to do, or want to learn post processing/editing.

(2) The advantage of a DSLR camera is that you can exchange lenses. If you are planning for less than three lenses that you will eventually acquire for your DSLR camera, you might want to consider a fast point p;oint and shoot camera, as it will cost less and provide nearly the same photos.

(3) If you are planning to delve more deeply into photography, the DSLR will be an excellent camera to do it with in the long term.

(4) if you plan to shoot your photos, with your DSLR camera,using the "AUTO" mode, you are paying for a lot of features that you will never use.

I hope this helps a bit, Erin. Because I own and shoot with all three cameras, I will be happy to answer any and all questions you might have.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote