Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:45 PM   #61

Hi Ken, That really is a great deal. Are you looking at the k100 with the 18-55 and the 50-200 bundled with the flash and then taking off $200?I was a little confused about the rebate.The $200 rebate doesn't come up in your shopping cart like the other ones but it looks like this would work. Unfortunately I live in NJ and have to pay the sales tax at beach camera but such a good deal nonetheless. Thanks, Erin
potter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:01 PM   #62

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Erin-

I would definitely recommend the new Scott Kelby book, "Digital Photography." It is really focused on DSLR photography, and it does make the assumption that the reader has a fairly good understanding of basic photography.

MT/Sarah
I got this book for Christmas and it's a great resource. Very user friendly.

Russ
With such recommendations, I have bought the book, and yes, its a good one. Plenty of hints and tips.

So Erin....you seem to be doing more U-turns than a lost driver up a blind alley! For a moment, I thought you were plumping for the D40. I have to say, that as it does not have any stablization or censor cleaning, it might put me off. Or is this not really much to worry about folks?

Still no snow in SW Scotland folks!
dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:02 PM   #63

Erin-

Here is how to see the details of this cummulative rebate. Pull up the K100D camera description and then click on the "rebate info" link. That will take you to the description and the actual rebate form. Please keep in mind that all items must be purchased at the same time and be on the same invoice together to get the full $200 rebate, as I understand it.

What it amounts to is this: if you purchase the K100D and the kit lens (Pentax 18-55mm) AND the Pentax 50-200mm lens AND the AF360 Flash at the same time, on the same invoice, you get a rebate equal to the price of the external flash.

Both the Pentax kit lens and the 50-200mm lens are very good lenses.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:19 PM   #64

Dick-

The sensor cleaning feature is not that big a deal. Because these are DSLR cameras, and you do change lenses, you will get some dust, grit, etc into the internal parts of the camera. Most (about 75%)of that debris can be cleaned by using a hand operated bulb blower. Do not under any circumstance used so called, "canned air." It is possible to damage the internal operating parts of your DSLR camera by using "canned air."

If you cannot blow the offending object out of the way, then you will have to swab it out, which is very easy to do. Both Delkin and Copperhill have cleaning kits available with complete and detailed instructions.

Yes, the Pentax SR, or Shake Reduction system is very useful if you are doing a good deal of low light level shooting at very low shutter speeds. However, I happen to feel that in the final analysis, if the shutter speed gets that low, you are going to get a muchbetter image if you put the camera on a tripod, instead of attempting to handhold the shot, and hoping for the best. The tripod offers me the assurance that I got the shot for sure and that it will look really good. it take the guessing out of the equation.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:15 PM   #65

The Pentax rebate details are available here:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/purchase/rebates_offers/

There are a number of lenses with rebates available as well.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:47 PM   #66

dumfriesdick wrote:
Quote:
So Erin....you seem to be doing more U-turns than a lost driver up a blind alley! For a moment, I thought you were plumping for the D40.
I know :?. Everyone has been so helpful and yet I still can't make up my mind!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:53 PM   #67

Since you can't make up your mind, and all things are working out equal in your mind, put the names of all the cameras you are interested in on a piece of paper and have your best friend (blindfolded) draw one out of the hat. They all take excellent pictures, and if there isn't anything specific to one of them over another that attracts you, then just buy one and have fun with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:05 PM   #68

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Since you can't make up your mind, and all things are working out equal in your mind, put the names of all the cameras you are interested in on a piece of paper and have your best friend (blindfolded) draw one out of the hat. They all take excellent pictures, and if there isn't anything specific to one of them over another that attracts you, then just buy one and have fun with it.
:-)You are right. I am making this harder than it needs to be. The fun part needs to begin!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:05 PM   #69

I've decided on the d40. Thanks for everyone's help. Erin
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:57 PM   #70

Erin-

Congratulations! Now it time time to take some greatphotos of the kids and post them. We will be here to help you, Erin!

MT/Sarah