Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:46 AM   #1

Aren't they supposed to be more advanced than dP&S cameras?
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:25 AM   #2

How come I can't watch TV on a DSLR? How come I can't make a phone call or listen to CDs on it?

DSLRs are more advanced because they stick to the mission of capturing photos. R&D dollars are spent improving still picture quality which is what a DSLR was designed to do.

Look what poor quality the still pictures are that come out of cell phones or camcorders - why? Because those devices are not optimized for the job.

This question is like asking why can't my Porsche tow my motor home. I thought a Porsche was supposed to be a top notch car. It is, and precisely because it was engineered to do a specific thing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:02 PM   #3

Track wrote:
Quote:
Aren't they supposed to be more advanced than dP&S cameras?
A couple of reasons have been discussed. First, the mirror blocks the CCD as it reflects the image coming through the lens up to the viewfinder so you can frame the shot. This same mirror blocks the view from the viewfinder when it flips up to expose the CCD. Therefore, in order to expose the CCD for a video, you wouldn't be able to see through the viewfinder. You may ask why can't the CCD just stream the image electronically to the LCD. That leads to the second issue. The CCD in a dSLR is much larger than the CCD in a point and shoot camera that DOES take video. That means there's much more information to process and stream to the LCD. That means lots more memory,circuitry, cost, complexity, etc.

All this leads back to JohnG's point that SLRs are just not designed to take video. You could modify it to do so, but then it wouldn't really be an SLR.

It could be done, but right now, I don't think the market will bear it.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:10 PM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
This question is like asking why can't my Porsche tow my motor home. I thought a Porsche was supposed to be a top notch car. It is, and precisely because it was engineered to do a specific thing.
That's the funniest thing I have ever read... hats off to JohnG
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:15 PM   #5

unnecessary demeaning banter aside

it is common to hear a dSLR being recommended here, with no reflection as to user conveniences lost in the process

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:47 PM   #6

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
unnecessary demeaning banter aside

it is common to hear a dSLR being recommended here, with no reflection as to user conveniences lost in the process

Riley
Well, I don't think I was demeaning. If so, I apologize. Also, this is a camera forum. When people ask for the camera that will let them take pictures of people in the clubs but without flash, or the camera that will let them take pictures of their kids running around in a dimly lit gym, or any other extreme situation (from a photographic standpoint), the dSLR will usually provide the best chance at capturing those photographs.

I agree that people should be made aware of the conveniences one will be giving up by buying a dSLR. The posters here do a pretty good job of giving the advice needed for the given situation. Some people don't want to lug around the huge camera just to take the occasional snapshot. Rarely is video mentioned, which is probably an oversight. I kept my Canon S1 precisely because it takes good video, and will also capture good photos, so your comment is appropriate. However, the question askers also need to take some responsibility and learn about the product on which they may spend $600-$1000. The fact that dSLRs don't do video is pretty well known with just a smidgen of research.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:27 AM   #7

"unnecessary demeaning banter aside"

I bet you'd be a lot of fun at a party!

" it is common to hear a dSLR being recommended here, with no reflection as to user conveniences lost in the process"

So why don't you answer the OP's question, then?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:39 AM   #8

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
"unnecessary demeaning banter aside"

I bet you'd be a lot of fun at a party!

" it is common to hear a dSLR being recommended here, with no reflection as to user conveniences lost in the process"

So why don't you answer the OP's question, then?

the Hun
Dont bet the house on it

I believe Russ covered the answer without laborious technical elaboration.
So I didnt bother to add to that

ofcourse, neither did you, did you ?

Riley

edit to add: , except to make the point that
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:54 AM   #9

John answered the question.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote