Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:11 AM   #1

Hi, I'm a novice looking to buy aversitile compact digicam for a safari holiday, but will also want to use itfor indoor shots when i get back.

Idon't want to spendmore thanĀ£150(around $300). I have looked around and like the sound of the fuji f650 and kodak c875, but am open to any other suggestions. I am keen to have good picturequality and avoid blury shots as i've found a lot of digicams are unreliable in this area.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Could anyone advise me which one is best? Battery power and storage capability will be very important as i won't have access to electricity or computersfor long periods in Africa.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks in advance for any advice!
Eilise B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:08 AM   #2

Eilise-

I think that I understand your question and situation. However, most animal safari type photos, such asthe example attached, are going to require more telephoto lens power than either the Fuji F-650 or the Kodak C-875 can provide to you. IMHO you ought to be looking at ultra zoom cameras such as the Kodak P-850, or P-712, the Sony H-1, H-2 or H-5, the Canon S-2 or S-3.

Those cameras would allow you to be twice as far away from the game while still getting the same photo as you might with the Kodak C-875 or the Fuj0-650. The Kodak P-850, the Canon S-2, and the Sony H-1 are available as used cameras on e-bay for very reasonable prices that will still be within your budget.

I recently picked up a Kodak P-50 on e-bay for $(US) 138.00 delivered, and it works perfectly. Also purchaseyour camera well in advance of your trip so that you can be thoroughly used to working with the camera. Game shots are often split second type photos.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply, i really appreciate the advice!

I have looked at the models you suggested but i was really looking for something smaller. Would there be any more compact models (like the f650/c875) that have better zoom features?

Eilise
Old Feb 2, 2007, 1:12 PM   #4

Eilise-

The smallest camerasnearing the longer zoom that you need for your African Safari would probably be:

Panasonic TZ-1

Nikon S-4

Casio EX-V7

Kodak V-610

Kodak Z-612

KodakZ-710

Kodak Z-650

Kodak Z-7590

Kodak DX-6490

Among this list the Panasonic TZ-1 is probably the top choice. It is just 1.6 inches thick, and it has received excellent reviews. I hope this helps.

Have a great weekend.

MT/Sarah

Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:50 PM   #5

I would agree with Sarah's view that you will want more tele to get the best out of your hols.

I have the C875 - nice general all round camera that will capture many nice scenes for you. It's x5 optics and slower Auto Focus may mean that you lose some opportunities for capturing wildlife.

The Panasonic TZ-1 is a nice travellers camera (my wife has one). It has a very effective image stabiliser in it. It has a x10 zoom but image quality drops after about x7 / x8

The Panasonic FZ-7 would be superb. Image stablised, x12 optics and a Leica lens. This is compact for it's capability and would give you more keepers.

Something like the Kodak Z710 offers a good value zoom as does the Olympus 510uz with it's punchy colours, however both cameras lack stabilisation and this will be noticed at the longer telephoto.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:34 PM   #6

Thank you so very much, Norm!

That is exactly the message that I was attempting to convey to Eilise. This is a once in a lifetime (an African Game Safari)experience. Don't you want the very best camera in your hands to record the event. I hope that you do, Eilise.

Mt/Sarah
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:37 PM   #7

Eilise-

When you are confronted with a scene like this: which camera will you be using???

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:45 AM   #8

Thanks so much for all your advice, I've bought the Panasonic TZ1, just waiting for it to be delivered! Hopefully it will be just what i'm looking for!

Thanks again!

Eilise.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:38 AM   #9

Congratulations, Eilise!

You have made a good choice and I honestly think that the Panasonic is much more adapted to your upcoming African Safari. Please really get to know the TZ-1 thoroughly before your trip and work on your photo skills. That will go a goodway toward better photos in Africa.

If we can help in the meantime, please make a post.When you return from Africaplease post some of your photos. Thanks!

MT/Sarah