Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:36 PM   #1

I'm buying my very first DSLR because I love photography, but those skinny little sony cybershot cameras just weren't working for me. I don't mind kit lenses, unless it's the Rebel XT, heh. I'd go Rebel XT if I could find it for cheap with a nice lense, the D50 if I didn't have to carry a tripod with me anywhere I go, and I guess I'm just sort of pointing towards the K100D at this point, considering it's the cheapest solution at Beach Camera . com. What's your guys' opinions?
johndykstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:44 PM   #2

Have you considered thr D40?
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:45 PM   #3

Johnny-

Yes, you are correct. The Pentax is the cheapest, but that certainly does not mean that it is the BEST. My vote goes for the D-40. The kit lens is pretty darned good, and the in-camera processing, beats everything! Be it the Canon XT, the Canon XTi, and the Pentax K100d and the K110D.

RedSquare, another new D-40 user who has not been able to put his D-40 down will tell you. The D-40 is simply the camera to beat this season. The photos tell the truth! I own both the D-40 and the D-50 and think that the D-40 has it all!

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:45 PM   #4

I have held the D40, and I dislike it. Although it has a bigger screen and a bit faster, it is very uncomfortable in my hands. Too small for me.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:46 PM   #5

haha you beat me to it sarah:-)

All i can say is you will not be disapointed in the D40's capability
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:47 PM   #6

What is it that makes the D40 better than the K100D, be it that the D40 does not have the image stabilization.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:52 PM   #7

johnny-

I will say it once again and rather clearly. The Nikon D-40 has a definite edge due to: (1) the state of the art in camera processing. (2) Due the measurably better kit lens. (3) The better grip. Please be fair and try it again. (4) the really advanced andintelligent flash system.

Johnny, all you have to do is to add it up, IMHO, the D-40 streaks home as the REAL winner in the consumer DSLR camera sweepstakes.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:56 PM   #8

My only concern is blurryness. What if I'm just not in the mood to bring a tripod around with me? Will the D40 make crystal clear and super sharp images? Or am I going to have to rest it on something?
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:01 PM   #9

johnny-

I have never had a single problem with the Nikon D-40. However, you must consider that I am shooting in Program (not AUTO)and watching the proposed shutter speed like a hawk. The D-40 is clearly the winner.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:17 PM   #10

If you aren't comfortable with the D40 grip, don't get it. There is nothing worse than having a camera you aren't comfortable shooting with.

SR might or might not mean anything to you - it depends on how steady a shooter you are and what conditions you are shooting in. If you take lots of landscapes in good light, SR might not offer you anything. I find that it helps me with longer lenses - without SR I'm marginal at 200mm with shutter speeds around 250, but can usually handle a 300mm lens at this shutter speed with SR (I have a K100 and love it). My opinion is that SR can help certain people (me, for instance) in certain situations, but won't help others. And don't feel like you have to drag a tripod around just because your camera doesn't have SR.

I think the differences between the cameras are small and any of them will give you excellent pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote