Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:20 PM   #11

cheezwhizz-

The Pentax DS and Pentax 18-55mm lens I mentioned are 100% new and come with a full 1 year guarantee. I would avoid a refurb. I have not had much luck with refurbs. The "multiplier" we have mentioned is caused by the size of the imager in the camera. That is why the Olympus DSLR's have a 2.0X, the Canon XT/XTi cameras have have a 1.6X, and the Nikon DSLR's like the D-40 and D-50, have a 1.5X multiplier to lens focal length of the lens being used.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:29 PM   #12

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
cheezwhizz-

The Pentax DS and Pentax 18-55mm lens I mentioned are 100% new and come with a full 1 year guarantee. I would avoid a refurb. I have not had much luck with refurbs. The "multiplier" we have mentioned is caused by the size of the imager in the camera. That is why the Olympus DSLR's have a 2.0X, the Canon XT/XTi cameras have have a 1.6X, and the Nikon DSLR's like the D-40 and D-50, have a 1.5X multiplier to lens focal length of the lens being used.

MT/Sarah
what online store would that be from...
cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:12 PM   #13

cheezewhizz-

Because we like to keep links to retailers out of this Forum, I sent you a PM with the information.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:01 PM   #14

well from both threads i had going i took what everyone said and just got a finpix s6000. but i am really not happy with it. i think maybe i am not ready for something like that yet i have a lot more to learn..i am sending it back and i am just ganna get a sony DSC-H5 can u guys please also just give some other models. i am really thinking that the s6000 was just took much camrea for me at this point have a lot to learn good thing i did not get the dslr...

my chioes are the dsc-h5, the DMC-FZ7S or the DMC-FZ30S ( and ithis one is probley ganna be the same as the s6000)
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:01 PM   #15

cheezewizz-

The Panasonic FZ-30 is equally, or a bit more complex than the Fuji S-6000, so I would reccommend than you not consider the FZ-30.

The Sony H-2 and H-5 are virtually the same camera with a few exceptions. The H-2 has 6.0mp and the H-5 has 7.1mp. The H-2 has a 2" LCD screen, while the H-5 has a 3" LCD screen. When shooting handheld. no flash photos the H-2 and H-5 due to using a different imager than the Panasonic FZ-7 have better noise characteristics (meaning less noise) at high ISO settings. The ISO setting of ISO 400 is very useable on both the H-2 and the H-5, with ISO 800 marginally useable.

In contrast, when shooting handheld with no flash,the Panasonic FZ-7 shows a LOT OF NOISE at ISO settings greater than ISO 200. If you hold the ISO setting to 200 and below you can take some excellent photos. The lenses used on both ehe Sony cameras and the FZ-7 are all top notch.

I will post sample photos from the H-5 and the FZ-7 for you.

MT/ Sarah

Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:33 PM   #16

Thank You to everyone who repled to my thread....i went to bestbuy.com just on a wim and found they had the DSC-H2 on sale for the same price as amazon. So i took a ride to bestbuy when i got there they had an open box ( i have boght open box before and never had a problem with them ) the open box was the same as the sale price but i recvied a 40$ gift card... So for just about 385$ i walked out with the cam a 1gig ms, a table tripod and a nice carry bag... and the real reason i wanna thank everyone here is this cam is more of what i need to learn on...SO i have a year before next tax season to lean then i will make the step to the DLSR world...can anyone recamend any books to help learn what all the differnt things on the cams do...i would really like to step up toa DLSR next year at income tax time....
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:57 AM   #17

Congratulations, cheeze wizz!

The Sony H-2 is a great camera and I think you will really enjoy it a lot. I really respect your determination to hone your photographic knowledge and skills. Check out your Community College. Community Colleges usually have excellent courses ranging from Beginning Photography up into very specialized Photography couses such as Portraiture and Landscapes.

MT/Sarah