Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:23 PM   #1

Ok i am on a real tight bugit. what does evey one think of these cams, one is a dslr and one is high end point and shot..

http://www.royalcamera.com/canondrxt.html this is the cam....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...L&v=glance there are the lens i can aford to go with it

the point and shot i was thinking about is the finepix s9100..i know no one on this forum really thinks this is a really good cam, but i dont know if i need a dslr and the money u have to spend on lens... I really just want something with a good zoom for wild life and landscapes. not really any portrits..maybe my son running around in the house and outside...would also like son good shots of the moon...the canon from that website with the lens from amazon is around the same as the 9100...but what is the Tamron 75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Lens ganna be as far as a zoom. i dont know how to figure any of that out....
cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:13 PM   #2

Before you make a bad move, read some customer reviews on royal camera

]http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Royal_Camera]

Amazon is ok, as far as I know. Usually, if the price seems too good to be true, it's because it is...

Robert

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:41 PM   #3

The biggest advantage you'll see in a DSLR is it's large sensor which allows you to take clean and sharp looking images at higher ISO settings, which allows for much faster shutter speeds. For example, my Panasonic FZ30, a P&S, takes clean images up to ISO 100. On my new DSLR, the Pentax K100d, ISO 200 is about the same sensitivity with the kit lens, but it takes better images at ISO 800 than the Panasonic at ISO 100. That's 4 times brighter.

You can get even faster lenses for the DSLR, like a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7, if you don't mind working with a narrow depth of field (small area of focus).

The advantage of the P&S though is it's convenience. Getting a lot of zoom on a DSLR requires a much bigger lens, and getting one with as much zoom range as a P&S ultrazoom usually won't yield decent quality throughout the whole range.

When I was in a similar situation as your, I ended up going with the FZ30 because I figured that I didn't know enough about a DSLR to make an educated decision. I went with that camera because it had most of the features you'd typically use on a DSLR. After I learned how to use all those features, had a better understanding of photography and researched DSLRs a bit more, I felt ready to jump into something more advanced. It also helped that I used a DSLR at work that I could learn on.

If you feel pretty sure that you can deal with switching lenses though, a DSLR would be a better investment since you'll likely keep the lenses for a long time as you upgrade you camera over the years. Most DSLRs nowadays (particulary the Canons and Nikons) have all the same automatic features you'd get on a P&S, only they'll usually work better. The only real difference is you'll use a through-the-lens viewfinder (TTL) rather than an LCD screen to compose your shot.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 4:21 PM   #4

thank u all for telling me about camrearoyal...ihad a feeling that it was like that but can u tell me what i should do to get a cam i dont wanna spend more then say 600$ but i woold really like a 300mm lens even it is a cheap one like sigma...just to play with...i think at this point imight just go with the3 finepix s9100 but i dont wanna be disapointed in it....
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:46 PM   #5

cheeze wiz-

IMHO I think that your question: "What to Buy: Point & Shoot or DSLR Camera?" is really a question shared by a lot of folks who post on this Forum. The fact of the matter is this: the upper level point & shot cameras are rapidly approaching the price of the consumer level DSLR cameras! A Pentax DS DSLR Body can be purchased on line for $(US) 356.62 delivered to your home! A pentax 18-55mm kit lens will cost you $(US) 91.92 delivered to your home! Add those two together and you get a total investment of $(US) 448.54! That is less than the Canon G-7 is selling for right now! Wow!

What are we to make of this convergence of camera prices? I think it is simply this: As camera users and consumers, we ought to head immediately toward the very best vale that meets our needs.

How doI know that the Pentax DS DSLR camera is a good to excellent DSLR camera? Well, that is an excellent question. However, I happen to own a Pentax DS, isn't that a good way for me to be in a position to make a valid judgement? I really think it is!

No, the Pentax DS is not the latest model produced by Pentax. It is one generation old. It does not have SR (Shake Reduction), is that bad. Well, I have never found it to be an issue under normal shooting conditions. WhereSR really helps is when you are in a low light level shooting environment. How often will you be in those conditions? For the most art,folks, the answer, is not very often. When you are in those low light level shooting conditions, why not pull out your $(US) 29.95 Walmart tripod. It is a very inexpensive solution.

With the Pentax DS you are getting a really good to excellent DSLR camera. What about other lenses, you might ask? That is a valid question. The Pentax DS will use any lens ever produced for Pentax cameras. That allows you to shop for inexpensive used lenses on e-bay and other auction websites. Even if you decided to purchase off the shelf lenses, a Pentax 28-80mm lens can be had for less than $(US) 110.00. Or how about a Tamron 28-300mm lens? Purchased on the internet that lens cost around $(US) 160.00, give or take $(US) 20.00.

The "botton line" is simply this: You can get a real DSLR camera, which produces optically much better (much higher quality)images, than the average point & shoot camerasfor the same or less than you would pay for a point & shoot camera. Isn't that something to consider?I think it is!

I will closeby attachinga sample Pentax DS photo. Tell me what you think of that photo. It was taken with a Pentax 50-200mm lens costing justabout $(US) 150.00! Think about it, won't you, please. You could get measureably better photos with a real DSLR camera for the very same price as you might be paying for a regular point & shoot camera. Perhaps, we should discuss this more? What do you think?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:50 AM   #6

One word of warning about all those fantastic pentax lenses on ebay - most are manual focus. That's great if you're into manual focusing but not everyone is. When you look at good quality AUTOFOCUS leneses suddenly that wonderful list of available lenses for Pentax shrinks.

So, while I agree with Sarah's excellent point that DSLRs are a great value. You have to remember that the body is only part of the equation. You're buying into a system though. And if you want the benefit of all those inexpensive Pentax lenses you have to be willing to go into manual focus photography. That's not a problem for some people.

I recently tried to help someone find a sports lens for his Pentax camera. We were looking for something like a 70-200 2.8. Guess what? Pentax discontinued their 80-200 2.8. They're supposedly coming out with a 50-150 (or something along those lines) but it doesn't exist yet. Sigma makes one in a Pentax mount but we couldn't find one in stock from a reputable dealer. So, he's out of luck until someone gets Sigma lenses in stock or until Pentax decides to release their new 2.8 lens. He's got a great camera (the pentax cameras are very good) but he can't take the photos he wants because of a lack of lens availability. To me, that's a serious problem with Pentax right now.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:54 AM   #7

JohnG makes a very good point that really has to be considered. I moved into Nikon for that very same reason. That is why, in my post, I suggested fully automatic lenses that are available on the market right now.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:36 PM   #8

On the original posters question, the Tamron 70-300 Di lens is a bit better than the 75-300 for not much more. It mainly has better lens coatings. Review here:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...hp?product=455

As for range, any of the Pentax, Nikon, or Sony DSLRs will have a field of view multiplier of 1.5. So the range is equivalent to 112-450mm on a 35mm camera. Combined one of these with a typical 18-50 kit lens, you would have a 27-450 range covered.

The Fuji superzoom in question covers a 28mm-300mm range, so it offers less zoom on the telephoto lens (but the convenience of not having to change lenses). Other popular superzooms such as the Canon S3 and Sony H5, cover about 36-432mm effective range. So similar on the tele end, but less wide angle.

That's not the caliber of lens John's friend is looking for, though. Pentax does have three new high end zooms coming out this year which should really address the intermediate market (as Pentax curently has no pro model). But given the likely pent up demand with the number of intermediate cameras they've sold, I would expect a situation similar to what happened with the Nikon 18-200 VR; it could be a year before these are readily available at a good price.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:14 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
... When you are in those low light level shooting conditions, why not pull out your $(US) 29.95 Walmart tripod. It is a very inexpensive solution. ...
Well, it is inexpensive untill that bad aproximation of a tripod collapses and drops your camera lens first onto a rock. A dSLR with a long (heavy) lens on a cheap tripod is a good way to test Murhphy's Law.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:55 PM   #10

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
As for range, any of the Pentax, Nikon, or Sony DSLRs will have a field of view multiplier of 1.5. So the range is equivalent to 112-450mm on a 35mm camera. Combined one of these with a typical 18-50 kit lens, you would have a 27-450 range covered.

what about the canon rebal xt..it has a 1.6 i think.or the Olympus Evolt E300 has a 2.0 multiplier. so are those with higher multiplayers more zoom....i did find a canon for 399 refurbed.....