Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2007, 4:49 PM   #1

I am looking for an ultra-zoom camera with close to dSLR performance, and this sounds fantastic on paper! Steve's review for SP-510 wasn't the most stellar one I thought though so I am worried that it may not have enough changed apart from the extra zoom and anti-shake technology?

Would appreciate to hear from anyone who may have already used it in person!
nastiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:04 PM   #2

nastiki wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for an ultra-zoom camera with close to dSLR performance, and this sounds fantastic on paper! Steve's review for SP-510 wasn't the most stellar one I thought though so I am worried that it may not have enough changed apart from the extra zoom and anti-shake technology?

Would appreciate to hear from anyone who may have already used it in person!
The SP-510 was an entirely different camera from this- not even on the same plane,but no one yet, not even reviewers, have a final version of this camera. It was just announced! You're gonna need to wait a little while before seeing any images, as people who've had pre-production examples have been asked by Olympus to not post any images yet, so you'll get ....zero....responses for nowfrom anyone with any experience. There are none. The most I've seen about it has been a previewat dcresource.com. They've posted a look at it based on their pre-production model, which means some of the details you see theremay wind up changing on the final version, but you'll see no actual images taken with it. Look here:

http://dcresource.com/reviews/olympu...ew/index.shtml
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 5:07 PM   #3

Greg is very correct-

It does not seem that the Olympus SP-550 is not on the market yet.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:23 PM   #4

I thought it was supposed to be released last year:?I've seen it in magazines:|
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:35 PM   #5

close to a dSLR performance?

AdSLR starts instantly this cameras startup takes more than 3 seconds.

echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:54 PM   #6

echinacea wrote:
Quote:
close to a dSLR performance?

AdSLR starts instantly this cameras startup takes more than 3 seconds.

I don't think anyone remotely familiar with the industry or any user with a lick of sense and knowledge of the two types of cameraswouldcompare any digicam seriously with a digital SLR taking all things into consideration, from ultimate lens quality to speed of use, systemexpandability, ability to use seperate TTL flash units for so much better lighting it isn't even funny, and on and on and on. My three DSLR lenses and tele converter covers a widerfocal length range, from 14mm to 560mm (in 35mm terms), and the resulting images off the bigger sensor will be way superior to anything this camera would produce from at leastISO 200 upwards and prints bigger than 4x6.

That said, not everyone is enamored with the idea ofhauling my DSLR outfit around town either, much less around Paris or another country for two weeks or more on vacation, and evenmany DSLR users want a sophisticated, smaller camera to take with them when they don't want to haul their DSLR outfit around. Those are the people Olympus will be aiming to sell this cameratoo. The same people looking to buya Canon S3IS or Panasonic FZ50 or Sony H5 to either be their main camera or maybe a smaller alternative, and that is no small crowd.

Take these typecameras for what they are, not what they are not. If you want a DSLR, buy a DSLR. This camera will not replace one, but for many peoplethese type cameras areall they will everneed or want and it's likely to be as good if not better than most of its type. Ultimate image quality isn't everyone's goal...go look at some of the stuff on PBase made with some of those above modelsif you ever question that.The specs for this modelare there. Olympus just needs to deliver in terms of image quality and performance and I hope they do...we'll find out soon enough. I just wish they gave the user the ability to use SD cards.

What interests me more is some of this new (for Olympus) technology, namely in-cameraimage stabilization, is supposedly about to make it's appearance in a new series of DSLR's that they are about to introduce. THAT's what I want to see.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:30 AM   #7

Thanks for the input! In particular for Greg's post.. The size of the "outfit" (and, secondly but still importantly, the price tag for all the extra lenses)is indeed why I am consideringthis instead of dSLR. I travel a lot, and that's primarily when the new camera will be used..
nastiki is offline   Reply With Quote