Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:42 AM   #1

In the process of doing research on the Canon S3 IS to replace my EOS, I realized that I will no longer be able to hold the camera with my right hand on the battery grip and my left on the lens because with P&S cameras u can only hold them with both hand on the body.

Personally I think holding the lens is makes it much easier and more comfertable to take pictures.. am i the only one who feels that way? And is there something i can add to the S3 IS's lens so that i can hold the camera by it? Im guessing not because the lens would not extend until i use the optical zoom..

Cheers, Chris.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:27 AM   #2

I hold my left hand on the lens barrel of my Fuji S6000fd. The S3 is a physically small ultrazoom, whereas Fuji and Panasonic make ultrazooms that are nearly DSLR-sized.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:59 PM   #3

track-

Some might see you topic and scratch their head. However, you are really on to something that deserves some serious consideration. The grip on even the DSLR camera does vary a great deal. IMHO the Canon XT and XTi share the smallest and the slipperyest grip. Move to Nikon or Pentax and you will find an entirely different feel to the grip.

That is the reason why and and the regular posters on this forum ALWAYS encourage folks to visit a shop and to ACTUALLY FEEL how the camera they are considering, really feels in their hands. No one of us has exactly the same grip, feel, nor do we hold the camera exactly the same way. That is why it is so very imporant to actually handle any camera you might be considering.

No, track, I honestly don't believe that DSLR cameras have a BETTER grip. However, I do know that each camera grip is indeed a bit differentfrom the camera next to it. So, there you have it. Physically handle any camera you are considering. It will make a world of difference.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:08 PM   #4

It depends on the size and weight of the camera and lens and the size of your hands and stamina. I find that small P&S are easier to hold for long period of time compared to SLR/dSLRs with heavier lenses.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:30 PM   #5

Dr. Spock-

Tell us about your favorite Pont & Shoot camera and how it has superior handling characterisitics? It might indeed be just me, butI feel that with a properDSLR camera and lens combination, due to its size and weight, that I actually have a bit more control than I do with the average P & S camera.

However, I have an open mind and I am willing to look at your suggestions. Thanks for helping me on this critical topic.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:13 AM   #6

How a camera feels in your hands depends on a number of factors - your personal hand size, how strong you are, etc. and also the focal length/light conditions that you are shooting in.

Once I improved my shooting stance, I had no trouble getting good pictures from a Sony F717 (I think it had a focal length equivalent to 180mm or around there, a larger p&s) even though it didn't have IS. I replaced it with a Panasonic FZ30, slightly heavier but much longer lens (over 400mm equivalent, ultrazoom p&s, can be held much like an SLR) and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't keep it steady (and it has IS).

I replaced it with a heavier dSLR, PentaxK100and have little problem with a heavy 300mm actual (so 450mm equivalent) lens. I upgraded to a K10 in December and find that its extra weight makes it harder for me to handle that same lens.

That led me to the conclusion that while a light-weight camera is hard for meto control at longer focal lengths, there's a limit to how much weightI can handle. That window of what a person can manage varies - I know that there are many out there who can easily manage something much heavier than the K10, or couldn't understand how I could have so much trouble with the FZ30.

There is no objective answer to your question - all of us will have a different answer. Only experience will answer the question for you.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote