Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:03 AM   #1

I'm torn between these 2 and am not sure if it's worth waiting 2 months for the TZ3 to come out. They both have excellent features but here are the minuses of each (as I see it):

A710: long flash recycle time, 6x zoom, smaller LCD

TZ3: not a Canon, uses lithium batteries, no optical view finder

The advantages of each:

Canon: good reputation, uses AA batteries

TZ3: 10x zoom

I couldn't find any info on the older TZ1 on this site to see how people like it. I want a camera that will be good for travel and work well both indoors and out. I take a lot of photos when I travel so the camera will probably be in my hand most of the day, snapping photos left and right. A good zoom is a must (as is image stabilization) but I'm not sure if 6x will do or if I should go for the 10x.

Thanks.

jac566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:28 AM   #2

jac-

I found this review on the TZ-1:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...mc_tz1-review/

As I understand it, the TZ-3 will not use the same folded lens technologythat the TZ-1 used, therefore, it will be a bit bigger/thicker in the camera's front to back measurement. The slim, small size of the TZ-1 was part of it appeal as an excellent travel camera.

I own one myself, and like it very much. In fact, I purchasedthe TZ-1specifically as a travel camera. It does very well outdoors, and in typical Panasonic style, hassomewhat reducedperformance in low light environments, due to noise. I have found, in actual usage, that if the ISO setting is set at ISO 200 or below, the camera noise problem begins to disappear. However, at the same time the shutter speed is reduced and any action is very difficult to capture. In short, the TZ-1 acts verys much like its big brother the FZ-7. And I expect the TZ-3 will as well

I have no real hands on experience with the Canon A-710 IS. However, I have seen several postings about the A-710 IS have very slow shot to shot times due to the use of just two AA size batteries.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:16 AM   #3

Thanks, Sarah. I'm wondering if I might need both of them. I like the A710 because it's a good all around camera and will let me play with manual controls but the TZ3 will be good for travel. I saw the dimensions of the TZ3 and even if it is a bit larger than the TZ1, it's still pretty small. Now I just have to decide if I want to take my 35mm camera with me as well as I'm a little concerned about low light situations.

jac566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:14 AM   #4

Jac-

With the mention of low light level shooting, it just might be an option to just make the move to a DSLR camera now. DSLR camerassuch as the Nikon D-40 or D-50, or the Pentax K100 could be a possibility, and save carrying multiple cameras. That would save the camera after camera progression which can get expensive.

Please give it some thought. It just might save money in the long term.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote