Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:31 PM   #1

Hi, I´m planning a trip to south america and don´t know which camera to buy. Only the mentioned cameras are interesting for me. Most important is overall Image quality (especially in those bright and sunny conditions). Landscapes are also important as well as photography of people an buildings. Comparing the samples on this and other sides I´m really not sure at all. Sometimes it seems that the fuji shows a lack of Image stabilization on the other hand the sony shows a bit more Ca´s and seems to have not such a good edge to edge sharpness and less detail. So what could you guys suggest?
Master14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:35 PM   #2

Master14-

(1) The Fuji S-6000 will give you a wide angle position on its lens (28 to 300mm in 35mm terms) while the Sony H-2 will not. (2) the S-6000 will provide better low light level shooting capabilities than the H-2. (3) The H-2 has IS and the S-6000 does not.

So you have to consider the following:

(A) If you are a little shaky when taking photos: the Sony H-2 is better

(B) If you are going to be shooting in a low light level environments: the Fuji S-6000 is better

(C) If size is a factor: the Sony H-2 is slightly smaller

(D) If 90% or greater of your photos will be outdoor photo: the cameras are equal

(E) If camera resolution is a consideration: both cameras have 6mp and are equal

(F) If you want a manual zoom ring: The Fuji S-6000 has it the H-2 does not

(G) If you are concerned about the professional reviews: both cameras are equal

Either of the two cameras will provide excellent results. The next step would be to go to a store and physically handle both camera. Then you have to decide.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:23 PM   #3

hello i am in the same boat...cant decide on one. i am between the s6000 and the s3 is. what do u do if none and i mean none of the stores near you have a s6000 to play with, i can find the sony and the canon but not the fuji....i like the zoom ring, but i have read a lot of reviews and it seems like the s3is is the best out of them...

mtclimberi know u have the fun of playing with a lot of cams i have read and take what you say kinda to heart you seem to know a lot and yes i know you are an instrotr (cant spell) so iyho what is the best long zoom p&s.. sorry to jump in your thread Master14but i need help to pick one.......
cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:58 PM   #4

cheeze-

Please take this into consideration: IMHO the S-3 was a very small so called upgrade from the S-2. Buying a S-2 will save you about $70.00. The S-2 or even the S-3 has the best video clip camera. It does well outside, but under a low light level shooting environments it does poorly and shows a good deal of noise in the photos. The S-2 or S-3 does not have a wide angle position on its lens.

The average selling price of the Fuji S-6000 is less than the S-3. It has a wide angle position on its lens. It has a manual zoom ring and it does great work in low light level shooting environment. It is a very good camera.

IMHO the Fuji S9100 is totally undercut by the great performance of the newer S-6000.

If size is a factor, the S-2/S-3 is the smallest. However, you must understand the S-6000 and the S-9100 are very close to the size of a Nikon D-50.

For my purposes,I wouldget more mileage, value and use out of the Fuji S-6000 or a Sony H-5. However, what I like to shoot, may not be exactly what you like to shot. I have given my opinion. However, at the end of the day, the decision is yours to make.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:47 PM   #5

i really thank you for taking the time to post a reply...i am set on the s6000 then...i think what i like to shoot it will do great....thank you again... and once again sorry for kinda takeing the thread over...
cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote