Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:42 PM   #1

Ok, so I'm going to be buying a new camera for an upcoming trip to ireland. I've been using an old hand me down Kodak Easyshare and it's starting to wear out on me. I'm not a professional photographer, not even qualified as amature - just want pictures to remember the trip by. I don't really care about being able to take movies with my camera, I do want a viewfinder, and I want the camera to take good indoor and outdoor pictures. Small and compact is also a plus, as well as durable.

Cameras I really like so far:

Sony Cybershot W100 - My favorite so far - it's on sale at Staples right now so I'll be able to get it at 230.00 plus a 30.00 off coupon so 200.00 total.

Sony Cybershot W70 - priced at 250.00

Canon Powershot A540

Canon Powershot SD600

Any advice on my selections, price findings? Other possible options anyone can think of?
KLyn316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:23 PM   #2

KLyn-

Your price from Staples is right on target for the Sony W-100. IMHO it is thes best of the cameras you have listed, and I would proceed to get the camera. The use of the coupon makes the Sony W-100 an even better deal.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:49 AM   #3

The W100 would be tough to beat for the price. There used to be complaints that the memory cards cost a bit more, but I think you can get a high speed 1G MS Duo card for under $30 now.

It looks like that will be especially good for a compact indoors. It looks to me like Sony is doing better than Canon on higher ISO performance on the compacts recently. The test shots from some of these models, like the W100 and also the N2 Steve reviewed last week, look pretty comparable to me at ISO 400-800 to the Fuji F10 which was the revolutionary model in that departtment just 2 years ago.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:59 AM   #4

I'm sure you will be happy with the W100, it has the the1/1.8" sensor which is bigger than the 1/2.5" on the W70 plus has manual and 30sec for long exposures.

W100 ISO 800 handheldimage:
Attached Images

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:20 AM   #5

Well Klyn-

There you have it. This does not happen too often, but everyone of us is in this thread are in agreement that: (1)your proposed deal at Staples is an excellent price (2) the Sony W-100 due to it larger sensor is an excellent camera for low light level shooting environments (3) The camera is pleasantly small and compact (4) and best of you really like the camera!

It sounds like a deal to me!

Mt/Sarah
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:02 AM   #6

Do I have to use the sony memory sticks with this camera (W100) or can I use any brand memory sticks?
KLyn316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:32 AM   #7

KLyn-

Sony and SanDisk both produce the needed flash memory (Memory Sick Duo)for the Sony W-100.

MT/Sarah