Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:16 PM   #1

Well after reading and reading some more. I decided on purchasing a Sony H2. I got it from Dell for 279. with free shipping. My question is this. It was delivered today when I was at work. I dont know how long it sat in the freezing cold here in MI. Will it be alright or should I call them and send it back. I just cant beleive ups or dhl (who ever delivered it here ) would leave something like that out on my porch. UPS always leaves stuff by my back door. I wish the stores would start asking for a signature. Thanks in advance for any info.

Blake
Blake3298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:39 PM   #2

Blake-

There should be no problem. Just let the camera sit in room tempature for at least 24 hours, then give it a try. It should work just fine. At least mine did, under similar circumstances.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:46 PM   #3

Hi Blake,

Back when I used to have a part-time computer consulting business, I would receive quite a few packages that would sit all day in sub-freezing temperatures. Cold temperatures are not detrimental to electronics. Let the camera sit at room temperature for 60 minutes or so, and all will be well.

Chris
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:38 AM   #4

I agree - there should be no problem. The time to wait depends on how it is packed. If it is in nothing more than a plastic bag, an hour should be fine. If it is in thick insulation, something more like a day might be needed.

Condensation is the problem you are avoiding by waiting.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:47 PM   #5

Blake-

Please give us an update on the "thawing out" process for your camera. I hope that it is positive news.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:09 AM   #6

If I were you I buy my camera from a camera shop. Also I try to buy it from a reputed photography store in my area. If there is not any near to my town, then I take a day off from my job and travel to the right photography store nearby. Also would be much betterto check your future camera and hold it in your hands before pay your last $ saving to the salesperson.

I DO few bad experiences about these PP companies. I prefer to hold my future camera, examine itbefore pay my saving.

I
kombizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:43 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info. I havent had a chance to use it yet. i work way to much. Its just starting to get around 20 degrees outside. Were having a heat wave!! I hope to get out a little bit this weekend but its not looking to good. Imay just have to shoot a few pics around the house just to make sure everything is working.

Blake
Blake3298 is offline   Reply With Quote