Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:44 AM   #1

Guys, I need some help . . . based on your experience, which of the two cameras performs better (dont consider price issue) . . .

Thanks . . .
emjhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2

My vote goes to the Nikon D-40. The grip on the Canon 350D XT is just to pinched for me. It is a fine camera but I really don't feel I have 100% control of that camera due to its grip. Grip is a very personal thing , I understand.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I've not played with the D40 so can't comment on the grip but would personally not go for it due to the reduced number of lenses that you can use with it. If you can get your hands on the D50 that would be my choice.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4

I'm with Mark on this. One of the biggest benefits to the Canon and Nikon systems is the number of lenses they have available. The D40 is too limiting. I would say the Canon and Nikon cameras stack up EXACTLY according to price point.

Canon 30D

Nikon D80

Canon 400D

Nikon D50

Canon 350D

Nikon D40

IMO, the choice should be Canon or Nikon. If you want the nikon system then buy the D50. But if you're comparing JUST THESE TWO cameras I think the 350 is the better of the two. The d40 just has too much limitations associated with it.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:11 PM   #5

I agree with both Mark and JohnG, but unless I read the OP incorrectly, the D-50 option was not offered. Just the D-40 and the XT were offered in the OP.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:49 PM   #6

thanks guys, i thought the additional features that D40 is claiming would put D50 on its tail . . . but D50 is disconntinued here . . .

i think i'd better go for D80, but this is the first time i'll buy DSLR, i'm using fujifilm S9500 right now, do you think i can handle D80 easily . . .
emjhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:07 PM   #7

emjhay-

Lots of folks have moved from a cross over camera like the Fuji S-9500 to the Nikon D-80 and have really enjoyed the camera and not experienced difficulty with the transition.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:05 PM   #8

I mostly agree with the above. But to me it's also very close and alot of it is a matter of personal taste as well.

On the lens issue with the D40, I don't think it affects any zoom lenses anyone would actually want to buy, but it does affect a few of the more attractive prime lenses. And it doesn't mean you can't use them, but you would have to focus them manually. The tradeoff is a lighter camera. It shouldn't matter if you don't intend to buy any prime lenses.

But there are a couple of other concerns I would have with the D40. One is that I would prefer more controls rather than have to navigate menus for white balance and ISO settings. There are a couple of other absent features I might miss slightly, like exposure and white balance bracketing, and the ability to shoot RAW with high quality jpegs.

Another concern is that the default jpegs seem oversaturated to me, and there doesn't seem to be the usual range of in camera adjustment available. But to some degree this is also a matter of personal preference.

The biggest advantage of the D40 over the D50 to me seems to be the smaller size. But I tend to like smaller cameras. Some prefer the size of the D50, finding it easier to handle. Again this is mostly a matter of indidual preference.

The 350D seems to me to be about the same size camera as the D40, with better controls, and (IMO) a bit better image quality. Plus it's 8MP. And, while I don't think the kit lens is as good as the Nikon, I still prefer the Canon lens lineup for the more intermediate zoom lenses I would eventually be buying anyway.

Before deciding on a camera, you might want to make sure you know what kind of lenses you might need for what you intend to photograph, and compare the options there. The cameras in this range are all actually very close in their capabilities, with the primary differences being in features and controls.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote