Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:26 PM   #1

Can anyone help me? Now that I have my wonderful k10d, I am wanting to get a purse cam that can go everywhere with me for those moments that just come up and I don't have the big one with me.

I am very frustrated looking at the choices. 3x zoom just doesn't seem like enough, but you can't fit an S3IS in a purse (at least not mine!). There don't seem to be many choices in the mid-zoom range, Canon A710IS, Fuji F650, Kodak c875, Panasonic LZ5.

What do all of you do for a pocket cam? It seems like you can get either IS or good (ok decent) higher ISO capabilities, but not both. Should I really be worried about wanting more than 3x zoom? In the 3x models, I am looking at Pentax A20, Fuji f40fd, Canon SD 630. And what would be better, IS or high ISO?

Then of course I go back and forth on money, go cheap and save $ for lenses for k10d, or spend more and get best possible camera. Then I think, how much will I really use it. One could end up collecting P&S cameras just like lenses with the way my brain is running. I know I am WAY overanalyzing this.
Help please!!! Thanks
Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:46 PM   #2

Peggy-

I am looking forward to the soon to be introduced Panasonic TZ-3. It willbe/or is supposed to me an ideal travel camera, and I would imagine also purse size as well. The TZ-3 would give you 10X optical zoom (in 35mm terms:28mm to 280mm) as well as IS. However, the ISO capability will continue along what we see on the FZ-7. That means that if you keep the ISO setting at ISO 200 and below, noise is much less a problem.

So there is a "possible" camera for you.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:06 PM   #3

Sarah

Thanks, I will definitely look at the TZ-3. If only they didn't stick the cameras on those electonic watchdog gizmos, I could go and see how well they fit in my purse. I am vacillating between cheap (Pana LZ5/Kodak c-875, Kodak v803) because how often will I use it, and nice (and smaller) because I really like nice image quality (Fuji f31fd or f40 fd, Canon SD700IS, Pentax Opti0 A20). And I keep eliminating and coming back to Panasonics, high noise but great value/cost ratio.

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:24 PM   #4

Hi Peggy-

Here is an example of a photo from my Panasonic FZ-7. I held the ISO setting to ISO 200 and accepted the slower shutter speeds. This was taken handheld and I had to wait for the moment when movement had just about stopped. It is hard to beat the Leica lens that Panasonic grinds under license.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 5:12 PM   #5

I'm using the C875 and like it. The x5 zoom is an advantage
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote