Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:05 PM   #1

I'm looking at cameras at the moment, I don't need professional grade camera but I still want something nicer than our 5 year old Sony Cybershot. I was looking at the Canon IS S3 because of it's image stabilization, 12x zoom, and TV mode(ability to control shutter speed is nice) But is there a better camera for the money out there? I am probably going to be using auto mode most of the time. High zoom(10-12x) and Image Stabilization are my main needs, shutter speed control is a plus.

Honestly the only thing I dislike about the Canon is the small screen.
Ballz2TheWallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:31 PM   #2

Ballz-

The major ultra zooms are about equal. The Canon S3 wins in the video clip category, but looses in the no flash, low light level shooting environment. The Sony H-2 and H-5 have 2" and 3" LCD screens respectively and they do well in no flash, low light level shooting.

MTY/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:59 PM   #3

The H5 is a good one to look at if you want a lager screen. But keep in mind the S3 screen is a flip out screen, which competing models don't have.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:33 PM   #4

My only problem with Sony is they try to bank on releasing their own proprietary media(Memory Stick) I could probably get a 2GB SD card for the price of a 1GB Duo. Is Sony the only one offering a competitive/better camera in this price range?

Also the battery life looks like crap compared to other cameras....which is basically how I could describe our current Sony camera.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:27 PM   #5

after i tried Olympus SP510 and canon S3 both for a few days and I returned them both due the band photos in the low light and i got the H5 and so far im very happy with it, better photos in the low light ,great 3"LCD and the battery life isn't that bad i could around 200 photos before i had to change the battery, but i have to agree about the memory stick, but what i did i bought a second hand memory stick from the internet for a good price, for me video clips are not an issue since i don't intend to use the camera for filming
mimoawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:50 PM   #6

I took mtclimber's word for it and bout the H5, and not even having it in my hands I am immediately disappointed. Whats with all the purple fringing? Its horrible.....and it sticks out like a sore thumb. I noticed it on some S3 shots but nothing as extreme as the H5, why doesn't the Panasonic FZ-7 suffer from ANY?(well, I still see it but I have to look for it)

Worst part is I ordered off of a site that is non-refundable :P main reason it bothers me is because I have trained myself to look for these very things when calibrating CRT rear projection TV's convergence
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:12 PM   #7

"...and not even having it in my hands I am immediately disappointed."

If you think the purple fringing is bad now...just wait til you take it out of the box!

Let's see...what was it that Sarah said? "The Sony H-2 and H-5 have 2" and 3" LCD screens respectively and they do well in no flash, low light level shooting."

Very convincing sales pitch wasn't it?

Should we take her out and shoot her?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:31 PM   #8

Well no one else came in to comment:O
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:54 PM   #9

Quote:
I took mtclimber's word for it and bout the H5, and not even having it in my hands I am immediately disappointed. Whats with all the purple fringing? Its horrible.....and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
How do you know the purple fringing is bad when you haven't even tried the camera yet? Did you check out any professional reviews before ordering?

To imply mtclimber is to blame for your choice of the H5 because she said, "The Sony H-2 and H-5 have 2" and 3" LCD screens respectively and they do well in no flash, low light level shooting." is very childish.

If you really haven't opened up the H5, you could probably Ebay it for nearly as much as you bought it for, and look for another camera. Probably the only ultrazooms that have minimal purple fringing are select Panasonic models, and they suffer from other maladies, such as intrusive noise at ISO 200 and higher. There are always trade-offs.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:16 PM   #10

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I took mtclimber's word for it and bout the H5, and not even having it in my hands I am immediately disappointed. Whats with all the purple fringing? Its horrible.....and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
How do you know the purple fringing is bad when you haven't even tried the camera yet? Did you check out any professional reviews before ordering?

To imply mtclimber is to blame for your choice of the H5 because she said, "The Sony H-2 and H-5 have 2" and 3" LCD screens respectively and they do well in no flash, low light level shooting." is very childish.

If you really haven't opened up the H5, you could probably Ebay it for nearly as much as you bought it for, and look for another camera. Probably the only ultrazooms that have minimal purple fringing are select Panasonic models, and they suffer from other maladies, such as intrusive noise at ISO 200 and higher. There are always trade-offs.
In fact, I have looked at ALL of the professional reviews(including all of the photos taken with the Sony)....I noticed the issue on the Canon, when i googled the two cameras the H5 seemed to be recommended over the Canon and some said it had "minor" fringing issues, I considered the Canon's fringing issues minor.