Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:25 PM   #1

I can't help but to think that while the Sony R1 is practically a fixed-lens DSLR, perhaps the difference between a 6mp and a 10 mp is not so much? I think for the sake of faster RAW write times, and better lens options, I might be better off going with a DSLR. The sony seems like a solid camera, but I can find much better write speeds in RAW (almost 20 seconds with a full buffer with the Sony R1) so for taking panaramics with motion (so I can keep things in shot one, as opposed to shot two and three, etc..), or action shots for print, I just can't imagine waiting 20 seconds between shots in RAW mode, or 9 with an empty buffer =(

I am an entry-level photographer, however I am a fast learner, and am interested in being able to produce professional-quality shots as my experience grows.

Just curious if the write speeds are going to make the big of a difference in average shooting, or if I'm talking about things that are a litte over my head =)
Ecaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:03 PM   #2

The Sony R1 costs over $850 online. You can get even the Canon XTi for less than that. The R1 does have a very good lens. The kits lens of a lot of the entry level DSLR's goes from about 27mm to 82mm. The R1 starts at 24mm (better for wide angle shots). What kind of digicam do you have now? Have you considered the Kodak P880? It's much slower than the DSLR's or the R1, but it is much cheaper and, like the R1, starts at 24mm and goes to 140mm. It's 8 megapixels. One of the gripes against this camera was its relatively slow shot to shot time. Of course, either a DSLR or the R1 would be much better in low light. Anyway, give it a thought.

If it were me, I would probably go for a DSLR.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:15 PM   #3

Well, as far as price, zoommania has the R1 in stock for $610. I currently do not own a digital camera! I guess if I was going to get one of the smaller ones, I'd pick up the Canon Powershot G7, but again, I'm looking for something serious (Prosumer). I love the lense on the Sony R1, but I'm afraid that down the road I'm going to want to take faster shot to shot shots, and I might want to get into more telephoto or macro shots, and I just see the advantage of removable lenses in that reguard. I guess a better question might be, because of my [lack of] experience, would I be better off buying a Sony R1, and using it until I actually know how to use a bigger DSLR, or should I just get a DSLR now, and learn to use it?

I'm very interested in panoramic shots as well as action shots, however I'm not sure how often motion would be a part of that. I don't intent to shoot much sports, exept strictly for practice learning to use the camera, so maybe my concerns on Shot to Shot speeds are overestimated? I guess I just like options, and clearly DSLRs offer more of them, however I mean no disrespect to the Sony R1, as it is a fine camera indeed!
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:20 PM   #4

I should also note that low lighting results are very important to me, so I'm looking for a camera that can handle higher ISOs in low-light conditions
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:41 PM   #5

Purely from an equipment point of view, you would probably be more pleased with your results in the long term with a DSLR camera, based on the specific requirements that you have posted.

The other part of the equation: Your ability adapt and learn the proficient operation of a consumer level DSLR camera, I really cannot address. That is something only you can personally evaluate in depth.

www.zoomania.com has lower than normal prices on their cameras, I really believe that it would be very prudent to check their reseller ratings in depth before placing an order. That is true for anyone you order from on the internet.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:09 PM   #6

Go here: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Zoommania

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:20 PM   #7

The R-1 is a nice camera, but has limited focal lengths. If you think you'd be interested in longer telephoto lenses, you would be better off buying a dSLR. The entry dSLRs all have auto modes where you can take excellent shots while you learn how to get more from the camera.

I would buy the R-1 if you know you won't want a longer focal length. Otherwise, get a dSLR and slowly add lenses as your interests change and you get more involved with photography.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote