Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:39 PM   #21

Look at this guy, he flies like an arrow. I was in a relaxed mode checking some ducks in the water, suddenly I heard some flapping wings on my right side, when I looked up he's passing in front of me, I didn't have time to look into the viewfinder to focus, just pointed the XTI at him and snapped, the action took only one second. I'm surprised to see his picture on the LCD. The XTI AF system is real fast inheritted from the 30D.
Attached Images

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:35 AM   #22

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Too much emphasis is someimes given to per pixel ISO noise at high ISO (like ISO 1600). While lower noise is useful in low light, other factors like bright lenses and fast low light focus can also be important. While per pixel noise is slightly higher on recent 10MP dSLR models than on older 6MP and 8MP models, overall image noise isn't any worse, and is maybe even better on some of the newer models. Print images, or view them at full screen instead of 100%, and you will see that image quality has generally improved.
I have to disagree with this point. I believe that getting clean images at high ISO levels is an extremely valuable function.

The 6MP Pentax K100D can take good looking images up to ISO 1600. When comparing the images from the K100D to the 10MP Pentax K10D, even when resized down for the web, the quality of the K100D's images at 1600 was about comparable to images from the K10D at 1200.

This is a half stop loss in brightness. How much would you pay if you could make all your lenses half a stop brighter with no loss of depth of field? And while faster focusing speed is a nice improvement, I think being able to use 1/60 instead of 1/45 is just as nice.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:11 PM   #23

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Too much emphasis is someimes given to per pixel ISO noise at high ISO (like ISO 1600). While lower noise is useful in low light, other factors like bright lenses and fast low light focus can also be important. While per pixel noise is slightly higher on recent 10MP dSLR models than on older 6MP and 8MP models, overall image noise isn't any worse, and is maybe even better on some of the newer models. Print images, or view them at full screen instead of 100%, and you will see that image quality has generally improved.
I have to disagree with this point. I believe that getting clean images at high ISO levels is an extremely valuable function.

The 6MP Pentax K100D can take good looking images up to ISO 1600. When comparing the images from the K100D to the 10MP Pentax K10D, even when resized down for the web, the quality of the K100D's images at 1600 was about comparable to images from the K10D at 1200.

This is a half stop loss in brightness. How much would you pay if you could make all your lenses half a stop brighter with no loss of depth of field? And while faster focusing speed is a nice improvement, I think being able to use 1/60 instead of 1/45 is just as nice.
If you don't mind, can you explain what you mean by this? I definitely want to make sure that their is no more noise than neccesary at the higher ISO.

As far as the extra money for the XTi, either way I will most likely be getting just the body and a 50mm f/1.8. If I go with the XT I would have some more money for a second lens while if I go with the XTi I would probably just stick with the one lens for now.

Is the f/1.8 good for all around general shooting? Or should I still plan on getting a second zoom lens or someting in the near future for day-to-day pictures.
fLthMsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:55 PM   #24

You'll need to do your own research to see what difference there is in noise levels between the XT and the XTI. Generally, when more megapixels are put onto the same size sensor you get higher noise levels. Some try to compensate by increasing the amount of noise reduction done in the camera when processing JPGs. I'm more interested in how the RAW images look, which should be unaffected by processing (though I've read the Canon RAWs are more processed and less detailed than Nikon's).

If most of your shooting would be for high resolution print, or if you'll usually shoot in very bright light, then the extra megapixels would prove valuable. If you tend to shoot in low light conditions or shoot a lot of action, you may find that you lose a bit of the brightness you need to use acceptable shutter speeds.

A 50mm 1.8 is a nice bright lens, especially for indoor portraits. However, I'm sure you'll find it quite lacking in other circumstances, like landscapes, birding, and sports. I have a 50mm 1.7 as well as an 18-55 kit lens (and a few other lenses), but if I had to choose one to take with me, it would depend on the conditions. For vacation or nature type photos, I'd take the kit lens. For shooting around the house, or outside in dim light, I'd take the 50mm. One of my favorite combos is to go with a 50mm 1.7, 28mm 2.8, and a 135mm 2.5 as all are quite bright and that covers a good range.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:30 PM   #25

It is amazing how much attention is made on the high noise at high ISOs. the Higher the MP like 10mp the greater the odds of this noise. Practically, 4x6 prints will hardly make the noise evident. For me, 99.9% of my prints are 4x6 so I'd be relatively happy even with a 1.2MP camera...as long as it is an SLR
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:48 PM   #26

As ISO levels are increased, noise doesn't just become more prolific, the noise artifacts themselves become larger. I've seen sample photos reduced to thumbnail size that were still far too noisy, let alone trying to print them at 4x6.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:16 PM   #27

is there a workaround to this? like, can you take a 6mp picture with a 10mp camera?
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote