Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2007, 3:12 PM   #1

Hello all, I posted here a few years back when I first started to get into photography and after some great advice I settled on the Cannon Powershot A510. I love the fact that I have full manual control on the camera and it's served me well. However, the camera is so incredibly slow in ever single aspect, taking, viewing and storing picture that I simply can not deal with it.

Lately I've been getting into concert photography and decided that it's time for me to upgrade to a dSLR. I have no qualms about switching brands and I've been looking into the Rebel XT and the Nikon D50 though now that the D40 is out I'm sure that will be an option as well. I know that some people here like the Pentax K100D but I'm not so into having to buy used lenses and I like the idea of having auto-focus since I'm still pretty much a beginner. I'm most likely gonna get a nice fast prime lens but I'll deal with that once I pick a camera. Also, the type of concerts I will be photographing will mostly be in small clubs or ampitheaters where I'll be right in front of the stage so I'm not worried about zoom though I'll definetly need something that's nice and fast and will work well in low light with no flash.

Also, what do you guys think of getting a refurbished camera off of eBay?

Once again, thanks for all the help.
fLthMsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:13 PM   #2

Nikon D-40: It you are doing a lot of low light level shooting, the only really fast prime available for the Nikon D-40 currently is the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens. It is a good lens, but when you consider that the D-40 is only available as a kit: D-40 body + Nikkor 18-55mm lens. Purchasing the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 represents and added expense.

Nikon D-50: This DSLR camera can easily use the fast primes, such as the 50mm F 1.8 and the 50mm F 1.4. The rumor on the street is that the D-50 will soon be discontinued due to the introduction of the D-40. The D-50 is a highly reviewed DSLR, with lots of great reviews and many happy users.

Canon 350D/XT: If physical camera size is important to you, the XT is quite small. The XT also has good low light level shooting capabilities. Good reviews and many users.

Personally, I would not want to go with a refurb, with this being your primary camera. It is really important to actually physically handle these cameras, because they do vary and having a comfortable grip that you can really live with long termis very important.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:47 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Nikon D-40: It you are doing a lot of low light level shooting, the only really fast prime available for the Nikon D-40 currently is the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens. It is a good lens, but when you consider that the D-40 is only available as a kit: D-40 body + Nikkor 18-55mm lens. Purchasing the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 represents and added expense.

Nikon D-50: This DSLR camera can easily use the fast primes, such as the 50mm F 1.8 and the 50mm F 1.4. The rumor on the street is that the D-50 will soon be discontinued due to the introduction of the D-40. The D-50 is a highly reviewed DSLR, with lots of great reviews and many happy users.

Canon 350D/XT: If physical camera size is important to you, the XT is quite small. The XT also has good low light level shooting capabilities. Good reviews and many users.

Personally, I would not want to go with a refurb, with this being your primary camera. It is really important to actually physically handle these cameras, because they do vary and having a comfortable grip that you can really live with long termis very important.

MT/Sarah
Thanks for the help. In the end the auctions turned out to be about the same price as amazon.com so no real savings there.

I went to Best Buy the other day to get a feel for the cameras and I definitely liked the feel of the D-40 over the XT however the XT did have a security decive attached to it which could be why the hold was a bit more akward. Though the larger screen size was also nice. I remember going a couple of months ago to try them and I remember thinking the same thing about the D-50 compared to the XT.

How come the D-40 can't use the 50mm F 1.8 and the 50mm F 1.4 that the D-50 can? Price is still a factor for me and the $400 for the 30mm F 1.4 would definetly be a hindrance. Canon has a 50mm F 1.8 for about $75 which is a plus for me.

If the only lens I can use for the D-40 is the 30mm F 1.4 that would probably put the D-40 out of the running leaving me back with the D-50 and the XT.

Also, I know this is a newbie question and I've read up on it on Ken Rockwells site but I figured I may as well put it out here; is their any difference between the 6.1 megapixels in the D-50 and the 8 megapixels in the XT?

Once again, thanks for all the help.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 6:01 PM   #4

In every day reality, there is not very much difference in the D-50's 6mp versus the Xt's 8mp. It is very difficult to see the difference, and then only ocassionally when cropping or doing that extra large print.

The reason that the D-40 cannot use the 50mm F 1.8 or the F 1.4 is that the D-40 does not have a focusing motor built into the DSLR camera body, therefore it is only compatible with the Nikkor AF-S and AF-I lenses or the Sigma HSM models where the focusing motor is in the lens, instead of the camera body.

Those same 50mm lenses will work on the D-50 with ease. That is one of the differences between the D-40 and the D-50.

Check the grip on the XT one more time, please. If it works for you, you will have an inexpensive 50mm Canon lens, you are able to purchase just the body if you want, and you will have an excellent low light level shooting capability.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:31 AM   #5

Some people get the XT and then add a battery grip which improves the grip and extends the battery life, so you might want to consider that. I like the K100d myself, and don't think auto-focus is terribly important at a concert, but if I really wanted auto-focus it seems like the XT is your best bet for what you want to do. Also, being so small it might be easier to carry in a pocket, and also more easily mistaken as a p&s and allowed in more places.

If I were to take my K100d to a concert, I'd probably take my 135 f/2.5 as well as a 50mm, unless I was rather close to the stage. Does Canon have a comparable lens?
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:19 PM   #6

The XT would be able to fit in my pocket?

Also, would I be able to use the Canon 50mm F 1.8 for general photography as well or would it be better for me to just keep the kit lens for taking random pictures around the house and what not?
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:43 AM   #7

When you handle theXT/XTI youonly handle half the camera in the store, when add a battery grip it's a full camera with extra weight on to balance a zoom lens, other cameras in it's class don't have the battery grip option.

The XTI is the best camera for concert, when you pull the camera away from your face in low light you seefull infoon the back LCD in bold bright text: shutter speed, aperture, ISO, battery status, AF selection, number of shots left...

Check the price of both cameras if the different is less than $100, get the XTI.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:03 AM   #8

I think the XT could probably fit in a jacket pocket, depending on how big your pockets are, and assuming you're not using a large telephoto lens. The 50mm would probably be a nice small lens.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:11 PM   #9

George Benson, taken with the Pentax K100D and a manual focus Pentax 135mm f/2.8 lens, available light.

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:52 PM   #10

Very nicely done, Russ-

A great photo.

MT/Sarah