Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1

I am looking to buy a good quality compact camera. I have a Canon G5 but it is too big for traveling so i am looking for a compact model that will give me the same image quality. I bought the Panasonic DMC-FX07R over the weekend at Best Buy but this camera produce horrible picture quality. I took a few pictures at highest quality (Auto mode) but it have way too much noise when view. I use Windows XP's Windows Image and Fax Viewer to view the pictures, in the "best fit" view, it look good, but when in "actual size" it produces way too much noise. I use my G5 to take picture of the same object and it looks good in the "actual size" view, not a lot of noise until i zoom in. So now i am looking to find a compact camera that will have image quality of my G5 or better. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

sumasage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:02 PM   #2

sumasage-

You might want to take a look at the Canon A-710 IS. It has received great professional reviews and many happy user comments. If the A-710 IS is too large for you, size-wise, then you might want to look at the Fuji F-20 or F-20.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:26 PM   #3

Reduce the Panasonic image to 5Mp before comparing them at 100% for noise. I have no doubt the Panasonic is noisier, but you are effectively blowing the image up more and the comparison might not be quite as bad as you think.

Also set the ISO on 100 rather than leave it in auto. And compare the images at ISO 100 on the Canon.

The G5 at ISO50 and f2 is a tough act to follow, especially for noise. And if you are using raw it is going to be a really though act to follow in a pocket camera. Add to that it is getting hard to find a pocket camera anymore with a 1/1.8 sensor. The Casio Z850 has one, but they foolishly IMO went to 8Mp. The Sony 1/1.8 at 7Mp they had in the Z750 was a better sensor than the 5Mp in the G5. But the 8Mp sensor isn't as good.

If noise is your main concern you might look at the Fuji F30. There are a lot of things I don't like about it, but it has really great noise characteristics.

If you want wide angle and optical stabilization look at the Canon SD800. It has lower noise than the FX07.

Another approach is to consider useable output. If most of your prints are 4 X 6 and you don't normally scroll around at 100% looking for noise the Panasonic might take acceptable photos. For the occasional image you want to crop extensively or make a large print from there is noise software that works very well. Neat Image has a free demo that doesn't expire and does a decent job.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 4:55 PM   #4

Thank you for your feed back. The Canon A-710 IS looks great but too big for what i am looking for. I also did a comparison of the cameras at 5MP but noise is still bad. My concern is not focusing on noise alone but the image quality over all. In this case the noise was very noticeable so i focus more on it. I dont develope most of my pictures so i view them from my computer (making them wallpaper, screensaver, etc.) so it is important to get good quality at full screen. I went to Wolf Camera and got a Cyber-Shot DSC-W70. The guy there recommended it plus the price drop on it too. Hopefully this will be what i am looking for.
sumasage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:17 PM   #5

sumasage-

Congratulations on your new camera. I hope that it is exactly what you desire. Post some photos when you have the opportunity. Good Shooting!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote