Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:25 AM   #1

my husband bought me a new camera for valentine's day. he bought be the kodak v603. all the reviews i have seen look good but here is my concern. the camera i am replacing is the kodak 7440. it seems like lately when you use the zoom indoors the picture get all blurry and DARK. my sister said she had the same probelm with her kodak. i am wondering if kodak has improved their cameras or will this happen again.

anyways i have been tryin to do some research on what kind of camera to get. i want to take indoor and outdoor pictures of my son, bowling, riding bike, skateboard, etc. i need help desperately on what camera to get. they are all starting to look the same..... i would like to spend $250 or less. thank you so much for all your help!
mnm021497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:37 AM   #2

I have not actuallyhandled the Kodak V-603. I do have a Kodak V-550 and have been very pleased with it. Keep in mind that the flash range on these samller cameras, such as the V-603 and the V-550 is limited to around 10 feet.

That means that the subject should not be further than 10 feet from the camera to obtain the proper exposure. I have attached a recent sample taken with my V-550.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:43 AM   #3

I've owned a Kodak DC5000 for 5+ years (and work for an organization that has about 30 in use) and a recently purchased Z612. In none of my experience or reading has a consistent pattern of a problem like you've described appeared nor has it occurred on my cameras. While I can't dismiss your problem as not being a hardware problem but I don't think it's a Kodak trait.

I'd suggest holding the camera as you would grab it for a quick shot and then someone look at where your fingers are placed on the front of the camera. You might be covering up the flash or one of the forward facing sensors.

I bought my son a c533 for Christmas and when we were at an auto show last week he couldn't take flash pictures, they were very dark as if the camera was set for the flash to illuminate the subject but the light didn't reach the subject. I could verify that the flash was firing. I didn't think it through at the time, I just had him shut off the flash as the convention center had enough illumination to do without. In retrospect I think he had inadvertently put a finger in front of the flash. Next time we're together I tell him to take a flash picture of me so I can see how he holds the camera.

Covering up something needed on the front of a small form factor P&S camera seems extremely easy to do and I'm pretty sure I've done it a couple of times.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:07 AM   #4

Go for a Canon A 630-a great point & shoot camera!

Stay away from Kodak,they are nowhere in the race of digital cameras.

Regards, Kamal Hans
Kamal Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:23 PM   #5

Actually Kodak cameras have measurably increased in quality in the last two years, gaining some excellent reviews.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:08 PM   #6

Kamal Hans wrote:
Quote:
Go for a Canon A 630-a great point & shoot camera!

Stay away from Kodak,they are nowhere in the race of digital cameras.

Regards, Kamal Hans
I disagree about Kodak. They have nice cameras for all price ranges. The Canon cameras are nice as well. I think the Kodaks are just about the easiest cameras to use of all though.

As for your problem, it sounds like your friend is trying to zoom across the room and take shots with indoor lighting. Any point & shoot camera will produce blurry, dark shots simply because there's not enough light. As Sarah says, you'll need to be within about 10 feet to get a good flash shot. I don't think there's a problem with the camera, just the expectations. Unfortunately, all the ads make it seem like you can take snapshots from across the museum and freeze the action. No point and shoot camera can reliably do that.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:29 PM   #7

Kamal Hans, that is really an unjustifiable and ignorant statement to make. Perhaps you should research Kodak's current model lineup before speaking...

mnm021497, your description of blurry images while using the zoom indoors pretty much fits all digital cameras that do not have image stabilization, regardless of brand, and is not Kodak-specific at all. Zoom not only magnifies the image, but also magnifies any slight movement of the camera. This is often not a hindrance outdoors in bright daylight, but once indoors in dimmer light (even if it seems bright to you) the "blur monster" rears its ugly head.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote