Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2007, 6:32 AM   #11

Hayward wrote:
Quote:

Speaking of buying into systems... the K10Dcan use ANY lens ever made for Pentax (though the really old screw mounts require and adaper)
as long as you don't mind manual focus. That's an important thing to remember. If you want auto-focus, the pentax lens offering suffers in comparison to nikon/canon. Also you're talking buying used equipment.

To some autofocus and having new equipment is not important. Others prefer not to venture into the used market and/or want autofocus. Just something to keep in mind as a trade-off for all those wonderful old lenses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:32 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Speaking of buying into systems... the K10Dcan use ANY lens ever made for Pentax (though the really old screw mounts require and adaper) and because it is body IS, make any even the old screw monts image stabelized lenses)
Which is one of the best marketing campaigns I've seen. Bear in mind:

1. Canon has made more EF autofocus lenses since 1987 than Pentax has made lenses in the history of the company. Something like 100million v 80million.
2. Older "consumer grade" film lenses are very often not up to the standards required by modern digital sensors. So yes the old lenses may work, but the quality isn't always very good.
3. There are advantages and disadvantages to having your IS in the body v the lens. It's really not a clear-cut case of one being better than the other. One little teaser...I expect to keep my (digital) body for 3-4 years, but my lenses for 10+ if they're good ones. So where does it make more sense to have the IS system?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:32 PM   #13

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
1. Canon has made more EF autofocus lenses since 1987 than Pentax has made lenses in the history of the company. Something like 100million v 80million.
2. Older "consumer grade" film lenses are very often not up to the standards required by modern digital sensors. So yes the old lenses may work, but the quality isn't always very good.
3. There are advantages and disadvantages to having your IS in the body v the lens. It's really not a clear-cut case of one being better than the other. One little teaser...I expect to keep my (digital) body for 3-4 years, but my lenses for 10+ if they're good ones. So where does it make more sense to have the IS system?
1) First I'd heard that, and I figured as much. I wonder why Canon doesn't make more of that fact in their adsrather than trying to counter the in-body shake resistance?

2) That may be true, or it may be that the smaller APS-C sensor in the digital SLRs uses thecenter portion, or "sweet spot" of the lens, sometimes making a run of the mill film lens even better as a digital lens. I've seen it argued each way. I've alsoseen it first hand with my 135mm which got bad reviews for edge softness. I naturally don't see that on my K100D and instead get nice shots on a bargain lens.

3) Well, since you get shake resistance in the body of a Pentax for the same price (or less) than a Canon or Nikon body, to me it was an easy choice. However, you are correct when you talk about keeping lenses for a long time. Some of the IS/VR lenses are exhorbitantly priced, IMHO, but I've also seen some that were more reasonable. Of course, my definition of "exhorbitant" seems toexpand nearly every week. :-)

JohnG's comments about comfort levels buying used equipment is correct. Some people don't want the trouble/hassle of buying used. Personally, I don't mind it, but that's a personal decision. And I do wish that Pentax had a full lineup of AF lenses, especially long lenses. They're getting better but not quite there yet.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:39 PM   #14

All thanks very much for the constructive input!!! After reading a few more reviews and inputs from here I placed an order for a Nikon D80. 30D was a bit too much for my budget, D200 would likely be so far beyond me the learning curve is too great.

Nikon D80 will fit my needs and give me room to grow (eventhough it's a plastic body). :shock:
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:46 PM   #15

rap66-

Congratulations! You have made a good chaice. The Nikon D-80 is a great DSLR camera and you will really enjoy it.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:12 PM   #16

RAP66 wrote:
Quote:
All thanks very much for the constructive input!!! After reading a few more reviews and inputs from here I placed an order for a Nikon D80. 30D was a bit too much for my budget, D200 would likely be so far beyond me the learning curve is too great.

Nikon D80 will fit my needs and give me room to grow (eventhough it's a plastic body). :shock:
Sweet! You'll have a blast with that camera. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Be sure to post some pictures!
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:28 PM   #17

good choice!
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:23 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Good choice!
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote