Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:12 PM   #1

I've had my Fuji s7000 for about 2yrs now and after going on a biz trip with a co-worker I was exposed to a DLSR for teh 1st time and ever since then I have been wanting to get a new camera.

I'm torn between a few models & 2 brands. I'm looking at Canon 20D and 30D and from Nikon I'm looking at D70, D80 and now D200.

I think the D200 might be a bit heavy for my purposes, I'm just a hobbiest that wants a high quality DSLR as my next camera. Aside from the MP of the cameras is there any more input that you can provide to help me decide? I will be taking picture of stills, portraits, landscapes/scenery and sports.

My friends at work are a split camp Canon & Nikon.

Thanks

Rich

RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:43 PM   #2

Jejeje,

Have you considered the convenience of Anti-shake on body? :?

You can do handhelds at 1/8 seg. And all your lens become "stabilized", saving you a lot of money.

If youthink it is important (shooting at low ligth or interiors without flash) then you should consider Sony or Pentax D-SLRstoo.

Now, if you are narrowed to Nikon or Canon, both are excellent quality.It is a legendary battle between Nikonians and Canonists, and have never been an absolutewinner. Any brand you chosse is good enough.

You don't say which country are you located, but in Mexico it is easier to get accesories from Canon. Just a point to consider

Hope this helps.

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:21 PM   #3

You can't really go wrong with any DSLR, all have their own pro's and con's.

I moved from a S9500 (S9000) a month or so ago to a D80 and regret nothing.

In P&S terms the fuji is fast but I needed something faster to keep up with my 2 year old, so after wearing down her in doors I purchased a Nikon D80, for me

the D80 is Well built

Comfortable in my small hands

fast and responsive

has a large and Bright view finder (same as D200)

3 FPS up to a max of 100 jpegs

Large 2.5inch LCD with a 170 degree wide viewing angle which is better than my Dell laptop!

Loads of features which you can customize

On camera touch up

Better onboard flash than my Fuji.

Great Kit Lens

I could go on really but the most important thing is to go to a store and try as many cameras as you can. The reason for this is to make sure it's comfortable in your hands, as stated I have small hands but I still found the Canon D400's grip too small.

A mate of mine has a Sony Alpha and he's happy with that, everyone's different so go and try out a view.

In rip off UK the D80 isn't cheap but the better kit lens and viewfinder more than make up for this over the Canon D400 and Sony Alpha IMO, which are about £300 cheaper here!
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:06 PM   #4

Rich,

I think in the Nikon camp the D80 will provide the best bang-for-the-buck. Some pretty decent upgrades from the D70. It doesn't sound like you would benefit much by jumping up to the D200 - the money could be better spent on a good lens.

In the Canon camp it depends on whether or not you can still find a NEW 20D. Last I saw the 30D was selling for about $1130 from reputable on-line dealers for body onlly or $1160 or so with 18-55 kit lens.

Looks like Beach Camera has the 20d for $895 body only or $950 with kit lens. Really hard to say that the 30D is worth the extra $200 for a general hobbiest. The upgrades are fairly minimal. I can say I use a 20d for a side sports photography business and it will be more than capable for any hobbyist. But, if $200 is no big deal for you or you have to have the newer model then get the 30D.

Also, in about 3 weeks the anual PMA photo show will be taking place. The major camera manufacturers all will have new cameras announced at that time. No one can say for sure that Canon or nikon will announce anything. But, if you're not in a hurry it might be worth waiiting to see.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:24 PM   #5

I would suggest going into a store and handling each camera you are considering. The ergonomics are different for each brand and you may find one you love the feel of and another you cannot stand.

Also think about accessories and lenses. When you buy an SLR you are buying into a system. Once you buy accessories and especially lenses, you are then locked into that system (or brand). So look carefully at what each system offers and very closely at any special needs you may have.

As for which camera to get. All are excellent and you will not go wrong no matter which brand you ultimately choose.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:58 PM   #6

Thanks for all the honest opinions. I've read SOOOO many reviews my head is spinning. I'm located in California, SF Bay Area

I've always liked both Canon & Nikon. I do own a Canon AE-1 35mm and it's served me well. And I agree I am buying into a system, my concern is getting into a system that will soon go obsolete, like a computer system; $1000 today $5bux tomorrow.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I was doing fine until I started to set the cams side by side. I like the D30, I like the fact that its an alloy frame, 8.xMP etc etc. The Nikon I like the shutter, itseems very quite (compared to a D20. D30 was not available to test). Down side is that the shutter speed is not as fast and it uses SD cards (my fuji is CF/CFII).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Some questions for the Nikon D80 owners: what is the body made of?? is it plastic? or alloy with a coating? Do you find the slower shutter speed a problem from DPReview 1/4000 sec vs 1/8000sec?? A guy here at work uses his D70 for air races (it will stop the propeller and still be very clear), that was one of the things he pointed out right away; the slower shutter speed. I will be using this camera for RC Racing, 1/8 Nitro cars, they will drive close to 80+mph. This is grossly where my Fuji failed me. I got wonder pix of the track with some nice blurry streaks.

Any thoughts, before I narrow down my choices?
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:35 PM   #7
rey

RAP66 wrote:
Quote:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Some questions for the Nikon D80 owners: what is the body made of?? is it plastic? or alloy with a coating? Do you find the slower shutter speed a problem from DPReview 1/4000 sec vs 1/8000sec?? A guy here at work uses his D70 for air races (it will stop the propeller and still be very clear), that was one of the things he pointed out right away; the slower shutter speed. I will be using this camera for RC Racing, 1/8 Nitro cars, they will drive close to 80+mph. This is grossly where my Fuji failed me. I got wonder pix of the track with some nice blurry streaks.

Any thoughts, before I narrow down my choices?
The body will be obsolete, but not as fast as computers. The body will still take pictures in a few years, and that's all that matters. Lenses tend to keep their value, especially the good ones.

The 20D and 30D are comparable to the D200, while the D70, D80 are comparable to the Rebel XTi. The D70 and D80 are made of strong polycarbonate plastic, the stuff they use to make airplane windows, those bright color water bottles (lexan) you see in the gym, and if thick enough, bullet proof windows. They're no metal, but they're pretty tough. Even the metal alloy cameras have plastic parts that could and do break if you drop the camera in concrete. I have the D50, and honestly, I'm more worried about dropping my lenses, as they are more expensive than the body.

If you can afford it, you can't go wrong with the 30D or the D200. Make sure to shop for the lenses also before buying the camera. When I was shopping, one thing I liked about Nikon was their (hard to find!) 18-200VR. I liked it better than Canon's 17-85 IS USM as a walk around lens. Also, in the US, Nikon's lenses come with 5 yr warranty, compare to Canon's 1 yr. But Canon has more lens variety.

Where in the Bay Area are you from? If you can visit them, check out Keeble and Suchat in Palo Alto, they have a lot of lenses in stock, that you can try out.
http://www.kspphoto.com/

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:53 PM   #8

I'm in Santa Clara.

good info again. Plastic doesnt really get my confidence much, but nikons popularity/reputation seems to wipe that out.

The D200s weight might be a problem while I'm out on a hike, so looks like I'm back to my original choices: 20D, 30D, D70 and D80. And from what I'm hearing anyone of these models will be a great choice.

another thing I've been told is that the important things to remember with a camera is the lenses are very important... I've seen this message almost everywhere.

choices choices choices!! heheheh

-Rich

Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:29 AM   #9

RAP66 wrote:
Quote:
I'm in Santa Clara.

good info again. Plastic doesnt really get my confidence much, but nikons popularity/reputation seems to wipe that out.

The D200s weight might be a problem while I'm out on a hike, so looks like I'm back to my original choices: 20D, 30D, D70 and D80. And from what I'm hearing anyone of these models will be a great choice.

another thing I've been told is that the important things to remember with a camera is the lenses are very important... I've seen this message almost everywhere.

-Rich
Rich,

You seem to have quite a few interests. Do you need 1 camera to do it all?

I used to shoot semi-pro & now even as a returning to photography serious hobbiest, i have 4 digitals (1 slr), & a 1 medium format film. I'm seriously considering another digital slr body as I prefer 1 body per lens - that I use frequently.

Honestly, I recommend looking at the D40 kit. Not that that would be your - be all & end all, but at worst it could serve as a good second system for your wide interests once you get a feel for where your system is lacking. If you are interested in Macro while hiking, then instead a D50 w/ a 60mm macro. Or maybe a p&s for a lightweight "hiking" rig.

A D200 would be great for a quality - do it all - body. But it is somewhat of a committment to use it. The 18- 200 lens is a current "holy grail" for getting close to 1 lens for all seasons - but it doesn't suit my needs at all. Others love it.

Unfortunatly, 1 camera seldom serves many interests well. Best of luck in your journey.

Best.

ps. one of my favority photography quotes:
"The best camera is the one that you have with you."

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:13 AM   #10

Came from the same place.... but a couple of years sooner... so from Fuji 602 and then 7000.

First SLR a used original Canon Rebel (300D)

Recently got a Pentax K10Dand LOVE it.....

Speaking of buying into systems... the K10Dcan use ANY lens ever made for Pentax (though the really old screw mounts require and adaper) and because it is body IS, make any even the old screw monts image stabelized lenses)

And for where I am... very humid salt, and occasionally spray environment... the weather sealing/resistance is a big plus too.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote