Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:02 PM   #1

Hi

Im deciding between either of these 2 cameras, which would you choose and why ???

I have an optio s5i at the moment and im not to pleased with the photos taken in dark surroundings.
magic-sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:52 PM   #2

magic-sid-

The Casio Z-1000 has an impressive 10mp, however those added mp cause some visible noise when the ISO is increased above ISO 200. There is no optical viewfinder and all of your photos must be framed by using the Z-1000's LCD screen. That LCD screen also easily picks up finger, nose and cheek prints. The Z-1000 review is found at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../ex-z1000.html

The Pentax A-20 has not yet been professionally reviewed. It is the 10mp version of the Pentax A-10. Like the Casio Z-1000 these is no optical viewfinder and the LCD screen must be used to frame your photo. The selling price is less than the Casio Z-1000, but the photo quality is also a bit less as well. Noise will also be a factor with the Pentax A-20, and lower ISO settings will have to be used to eliminate noise in your photos. The Pentax A-10 profession review can be found at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...optio_a10.html

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:18 PM   #3

So it sounds like the casio is my best bet...

Also why would people use the veiwfinder to take a photo on a camera that has a big screen on the back? what is the need for a vewifinder ?
magic-sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:50 PM   #4

magic-sid-

There are folks who still prefer an optical viewfinder.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:12 AM   #5

If I were looking for a skinny point and shoot camera without an optical viewfinder, I would prefer the Casio S770 to either of the cameras you have chosen. Once you try the past movie mode you won't want to be without it, and only Casio cameras with MPEG4 have that mode. You can also fit over twice the movies on a given memory card. The S770 is also slimmer and lighter with the same LCD.

You might get a slightly better very large print like a 16 X 20 from a 10Mp camera compared to 7Mp. But 7Mp is more than enough resolution for most people.

I would also consider the Sony T10 in that price range even though it doesn't have MPEG4. It is only 6Mp, but has good noise through ISO400 and true optical image stabilization.

Most LCDs are hard to see in bright sunlight. The Sony cameras with transflective screens might be an exception, but I haven't used one to know for sure. It is also a lot easier to locate and follow a moving target with an optical viewfinder. That is especially true when zoomed.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote