Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:12 PM   #1

:?I love my E-100. It takes great pictures and I have the option of capturing quick pics of birds landing, etc. It wasn't until I bought a friend a Kodak EasyShare C-643, that I realized how far new digital cameras have progressed. At first I toyed with the Olympus E-500 Evolt; had two lenses and it had a lot of bells and whistles that would be nice. However, the dust issue with changing lenses seemed to be a problem. Also,something to fiddle with before capturing a shot. When I have a fox or deer in the yard, I want to grab my camera and capture the moment...one of the reasons I like my E100.I decided to go for a Super Zoom with RAW and histograms; the Panasonic was my first pick..the reviews seemed good and it had image stabilization. The Samsung was longer (12X) but had no image stabilization. Then, in this month's Outdoor Photographer, I saw the announcement for the Olympus SP-550UZ. I checked it out online and I was struck by how closely, in some aspects, it mirrored the E-100. I am anxious to read a review on this website. I wish it took more than one type of memory (xD) and also would be nice if an external flash shoe were incorporated. Shortly after I purchased the E-100, Olympus abandoned the design and move into different directions. I would like to know that if I purchase the SP-550 I can expect firmware and software upgrades. Any help in making a decision will be appreciated.
akey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:49 PM   #2

akey-

Yes, the Olympus Sp-550 seems to appeal to a lot of folks. However, as of today (02/16/07) there has not been one professional review written, and there is not yet any inventory on dealer's shelves. A few accessories, such as spare batteries have arrived, but no cameras as yet.

It will probably 30 to 60 days before we see a review and the cameras on the market. The only thing I have found is the SP-55 Homepage at:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1289

And a very good preview done by http://www.dcresource.com at:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml

So hang in there, akey, the good stuff will be headed your way soon. IMHO the SP-550 is your best bet. The Samsung Pro 815 is a HUGE camera, and the FZ-50 is hardly smaller.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3

You can see a full review, and also now a follow-up, of the SP550UZ (with sample pics) here :
http://scaredofthedark.typepad.com/b...sp550_r_4.html

The SP550 is already out here (Shanghai, China) selling for US$500 - feels good ! I actually bought it but then changed my mind before even getting it out of the box ! I still can't decide on the SP550UZ / Rebel XTi / Sony A100 (great review on here) or Oly Evolt E-500. All of them address the dust issue.

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4

frogfish-

Thanks for the post. It look to be a good user review. While it is available in Asia, the Olympus SP-550 is still not available in the USA.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the posts. The blog review definitely puts me on purchasing the 550. B&H says it expects the camera available for sale in March.The weight issue was a good point. The E-100 isn't a lightweight (1.3 lbs.) or small but if my point is to upgrade; might as well get less heft!
akey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:26 PM   #6

I'm basically in the same boat as you are. I've been using the Olympus C-750 and it just died the other day, without warning. I'm sure it's silly to even think about having it fixed, when new cameras are selling about what I figure the cost of repairs might be.

My first digital was the Olympus 2100 UZ with IS. I sure miss that IS. I was thrilled to know Olympus brought it back. I also have the b-300 teleconverter lens that I'm hoping to use with the next camera I purchase.

I was all set to order the Panasonic DMC FZ50 when I heard about the Olympus SP 550. I did preorder it from Amazon, and they tell me to expect it between March 27 or 28th. But....still not sure which I should really go with. I hate the thought of buying something without reviews. But...the thought of giving up an 18 X zoom, only to find it got great reviews after all....oh! don't even want to think of it. But....to pass up on a great camera like the Panasonic, to find that the Olympus wasn't all that I hoped. That's my dilemma.

I love takingpics of wildbirds and also of my beagles. Expecting to get another beagle puppy in early April. I certainly want a camera for that.

Joanne
hjbartling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:05 PM   #7

Joanne

I am also an old C-2100IS (I still have two in the drawer!), C-750, C765, C-8080user. So, I have also be following every bit ofthis saga of the Olympus SP-550. Thenews is good, but somewhat marginally. There is only one user review (which is fairly complete)and no professional reviews. What is an Olympus fan to do?

I hesitate to plunk down for an Olympus SP-550 at full list price, with not a bit more data than we have seen thus far. However, I am still thinking positively and hoping for an Olympus resurgence.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:35 AM   #8

Hi Joanne

I have for sometime been thinking of upgrading my C750 for a DSLR - my primary need is for wldlife photography which has been fun with the Oly but you always want that bit more reach and resolution - and in the SP550 I think I will get it.

My order in the UK was from ABC Cameras (after twice cancelling my Amazon order which was £30 more expensive) - it should be here tomorrow £297 including next business day delivery - we'll wait and see.

I may be too quick off the mark here as there are no professional reviews about but for my level of expertize (or lack thereof) I thought scared of the darks review was good enough. A professional review is a great resource and will pick up on most if not all pro's and cons but I believe in some respects a user review- especially as good IMO as the one referred to here is the dealbreaker - would I notice the difference at my level of knowledge of small and minor detail when I probably use my existing camera at about 30% of its capabilities.

When I have money to burn (if that day ever arrives) I will treat myself to a top of the range DSLR with huge focal lens - but until that day arrives I think the SP550 with Image stabilization, extended focal length and higher resolution is a good step up for wildlife photography.

Like I said - I may have jumped the gun a little - but so far the majority of reviews have been positive, I have a Raynox Teleconvertor which I already use with the C750, Spare XD Cards - Its light , portable and not too expensive but has room to develop my skills.From my point of view it was a no brainer.

Fingers crossed I hope I've made the right decision - best of luck with yours

Steve

Stevetynant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:23 AM   #9

Steve, I can't wait to hear what you think of it. I wasgoing to cancel my order and go with eitherthe panasonic or canon s3 IS but....the more I looked online and the more I read, I knew I wanted the Oly. I've kept my order as it stands and expect mine at the end of March. Joanne
hjbartling is offline   Reply With Quote