Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:25 AM   #1

could someone please help me.... i am trying to decide which will be the best camera for me. i am looking to spend around $250. i really would like a small camera. i will be taking pictures indoors and outdoors, mostly of my 9 year old, bowling skateboarding, riding bike, etc. it is important to me to have a quicker shutter. i hate when you take the pic and it takes seconds to take it and the smile is gone, lol.

i have been looking at the following cameras-

kodak v603

casio ex-s600

canon sd600

sony dscw-70

fuji finepix f-20

two more questions.... i know these all take different memory cards. is one better than the other. i have a kodak now that uses the sd card. is one kind of card better than the other? ex. the xd card or the pro dual? or are they all the same?

also does the image stabalization really help and is it important?

thanks for all your help!

michelle

mnm021497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2007, 7:44 AM   #2

also, i do not blow my pictures up larger than 5x7
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:20 AM   #3

Michelle-

You have listed a good selection of possible cameras. However, to really be more precise, we need to know two things.

(1) How much low level light shooting do you do where there is much less than normal daylight, without flash?

(2) Is there any requirement for more than 3X optical zoom?

Based solely on the information you have provided thus far, the CanonSD-700 IS (better than the SD 600 and still within your budget) is most probably the best bet followed by the Fuji F-20, only if you do a lot of low light level shooting without flash.

Yes, IS, or Image Stabilization is considered by most folks to be a very valuable addition to any camera. It will not stop any action within your photo, but it will stabilize the camera and prevent blurry photos when you are shooting at low shutter speeds.

I hope this data helps and we are happy to answer any questions for you.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4

i can not find the 700 IS anywhere. the only place i found it was compusa and their price was $370 and was sold out. where have you seen it. also one of the reasons i wanted to upgrade my camera is that when i zoom in and take a picture indoors w a flash it gets real dark and fuzzy. how do you feel about the kodak v603?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:33 PM   #5

Michelle-

Please keep in mind a simple fact: small to very small digital cameras with small or really small, slit type flashes are notorious for low (less light) output. You must keep in mind that flash range on most of these small cameras are effective no more than 6 to 7 feet between camera and subject. If you do not honor that "falsh range restriction" you will end up with dark and blurry photos.

What can you do? That is the logical question.

(1) Stay within the flash range for your camera

(2) If you must exceed that flash range, then the ISO setting must be increased to get an extended flash range.

(3) For example, on the Kodak V-603 you asked about, Michelle, the noise at an ISO setting above ISO 200 will begins to degrade your photos.

So yes, IS helps, stay within your flash range and use both hands when taking your photos. Those factors will help you get better photos. I sent you a PM on the Canon SD-700 IS.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 17, 2007, 12:59 PM   #6

Stay away from the SD600 if you can.

I have one, it's OK but really nothing to write home about. Flash pics are all awful, and the images are noisy.

mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:31 PM   #7

Michelle-

The Sony W-100 has received excellent reviews, is pleasantly small, but lacks IS, and is within your budget.Because it has a big imager than the Sony W-70 and costs onlyabout $40 to $50 more, as well as has 8mp, I think it is worth a look. Here is the review link:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/w100.html

You mentioned Red eye and Flash Photography as some of the challenges you face. Have you ever considered investing in a slave flash. It will extend your flash range without having to increase the ISO setting and it will also allow using bounce flash which is more pleasant looking.

Here is an example photo taken with bounce flash.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images