Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:36 PM   #11

Natalie,

I think Mom has a misconception regarding the battery life of digicams using the latest NiMH technology. Just as a comparison, the FZ7, which you mentioned, can take 320 pics (CIPA Std.) per charge with its proprietary Li-Ion battery (according to the Panasonic web site). The Fuji S5200 can take 500 pics (CIPA Std.) per charge with (4) 2500 mAh NiMH batteries (according to the Fuji site).

The S5200 might be a good one to look at with your Mom. I have the S5100, which is very simple to operate, and takes great pics. The S5200 improved on the S5100 with a better sensor with higher ISO capabilities, higher resolution, shorter startup and lag times, and a larger LCD. Take a look.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:00 PM   #12

I agree with the Hun. Top quality and capacity rechargeable AA's last a long time. I also second his recommendation of the Fuji S5200. Very easy to use. Good low light images. Pretty inexpensive nowadays, too.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:53 PM   #13

Since this is for your mother:

If she is not already set-up and experienced with rechargeable AA batteries and a charger, I think a camera with included charger might be a good choice, be it AA or something else.

I have the FZ7 and very happy with it, however, I think it's more suited for a person who's willing to tinker with settings. The already mentioned TZs from Panasonic are probably better suited for someone who just want to point'n'shoot with lots of zoom. My mom uses a Kodak and is very happy with it, if you don't want to stick with Panasonic. Easy too use and good enough results.

Regarding the often-mentioned noise problems of Panasonics, I think there's a great misconception, even on part of professional reviewers. The Pannies do not have more noise than other cameras with comparable optics and sensors. However, their built-in software does quite often produce results that let the noise appear stronger. Usually, the good quality of the Leica designed lenses can overcome this shortcoming, though. (There once was a comparison of the FZ7 with the Canon S3, Sony H5 and another camera that I found quite convincing, unfortunately I can't find it anymore.)
elgarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:15 PM   #14

elgarak wrote:
Quote:
(There once was a comparison of the FZ7 with the Canon S3, Sony H5 and another camera that I found quite convincing, unfortunately I can't find it anymore.)
Try this.
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ead-Review.htm

I have an FZ7 myself and like it. My prior digital camera was a Kodak that was not a long zoom and was only 3 MP, but it took very nice pictures.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:47 PM   #15

Thanks for the link, happy_peasant. That is the link that we were looking for. 'Appreciate the help.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:47 PM   #16

The Kodak Z612 has just had a price drop to $249 (Kodak refurb avail. $199) which has 36-432 (12x) lens, optical IS and Li rechargeable plus the option of using non-rechargeble LI batteries.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:04 PM   #17

"plus the option of using non-rechargeble LI batteries."

That's a new one to me. How's that work? I just looked it up and it says it can also use a CR-V3?

Would it actually take AA size LI? Or does it have to be a CR-V3? I would assume regular AA batteries wouldn't work only because the voltage isn't enough.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:58 PM   #18

Thanks for all of the info everyone!!!

That comparison site was a lot of help. We're between the Panasonic and the Kodak (I think...).

Thanks again for all the help!

Natalie
NHogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:23 PM   #19

Non-rechargeable Li = CR-V3. I'm not sure what the question is. The original requirement was no AAs. Z612 normally uses rechargeable Li s but you can alway carry a CR-V3 as backup which seems to meet the original spec.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:32 AM   #20

"Non-rechargeable Li = CR-V3. I'm not sure what the question is."

Well it's just that CR-V3s usually go in cameras that take AA batteries. It's the size of two AA batteries. I haven't heard of a manufacturer designing their own proprietery battery to fit the same size. It looks like that's what Kodak did though. I probably should have just checked Steve's review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../z612_pg5.html

"You can also use CRV3 (one-use) batteries or the NiMH battery pack that comes with the Kodak EasyShare Camera and Printer Docks. Although standard AA type cells may fit, they can not be used."

Now I'm wondering why only one use CR-V3s and not RCR-V3 rechargeables? It seems you could use either. It looks like the Kodak KLIC-8000 is actually 3.7 volts, so a bit more powerful than the CR-V3s, so it probably still wouldn't make sense to use RCR-V3s instead.

Anyway it's pretty much the best of both worlds, the benefit of a LI battery, but in what is really a standard format. So you don't have to worry that one day you won't be able to find replacements. Plus you can always pick up a disposable CR-V3 in a pinch at a local drugstore or Wall-Mart. So pretty much all of the benefits of AA, with the power of LI. Why isn't eveyone doing this?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote