Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:08 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Frogfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 2,774
Default

Natalie - I'm sure you are considering this, but if your mother is mainly using the camera for landscape / people pics then you need a camera with 28mm. Lots of digicams out there with this feature, but I see some recommendations above for 35/36mm upwards (Z612 is 35mm - 420mm). Not so good for holiday snaps of landscapes and groups.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:20 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Anyway it's pretty much the best of both worlds, the benefit of a LI battery, but in what is really a standard format. So you don't have to worry that one day you won't be able to find replacements. Plus you can always pick up a disposable CR-V3 in a pinch at a local drugstore or Wall-Mart. So pretty much all of the benefits of AA, with the power of LI. Why isn't eveyone doing this?
My point exactly. My Z612 bag has two rechargeable KLC-8000s but also carries two CR-V3s "just in case." Being able to run to the local store in a pinch is a major advantage from my perspective. The shelf life on CR-V3s is on the order of ten years so they're not something were one has to worry a whole lot about on whether they're fresh or not.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:31 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

a.c.smith-

There is only one problem though, the KLIC-8000 is not a true CRV-3, it has only one contact. Yes, you can get excellent non-Kodak replacements from Hong Kong that do work very well indeed, but the KLIC-8000 has a different contact system.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:22 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

Frogfish wrote:
Quote:
Natalie - I'm sure you are considering this, but if your mother is mainly using the camera for landscape / people pics then you need a camera with 28mm. Lots of digicams out there with this feature, but I see some recommendations above for 35/36mm upwards (Z612 is 35mm - 420mm). Not so good for holiday snaps of landscapes and groups.
The use of wide-angle lenses in landscape photography is a matter of style. In general I use telephoto settings more frequently than wide settings when taking landscapes. In part this is to use natural framing elements. If I use a wide settings in landscape it is usually to create a "statement" shot, that is, a smaller object in foreground photographed large juxtaposed against the large background appearing relatively smaller. To my eye "statement" shots requires 28mm (equiv.) or shorter.Generally I can make either a 28mm (equiv.) or a 35mm work in family gathering pics.

The original requirements were for optical image stabilization and that's not on high ratio zooms, which was also one of the requirements.Optical ISis available (Canon SD800, Lumix FX07, DMC LX1 and LX2) on zooms that start at 28mm (equiv.) but these have much smaller zoom ratios.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:43 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
a.c.smith-

There is only one problem though, the KLIC-8000 is not a true CRV-3, it has only one contact. Yes, you can get excellent non-Kodak replacements from Hong Kong that do work very well indeed, but the KLIC-8000 has a different contact system.

MT/Sarah

Didn't say it was. The original requirement in this thread was no AAs (for whatever reason). The Z612 with its KLIC-8000 rechargeable Li and the usability of CR-V3s in an emergency meets that requirement.

Non-Kodak replacement rechargeables aren't one of my requirements. I'm not sure how many rechargeables one needs to have on hand but two seems to fit my needs right now (with CR-V3s as backup.) Should I need more or one of my current ones fail (ultimately it will) Kodak puts their's on sale frequently enough at a price that is low enough so that when I tell my wife I need one she'll say OK.

By way of gentle chain pulling there are no one contact batteries. In the KLIC it has one end contact and one side contact. The devil made me say this because your posts alway show uncommonly good common sense.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:10 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Frogfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 2,774
Default

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Frogfish wrote:
Quote:
Natalie - I'm sure you are considering this, but if your mother is mainly using the camera for landscape / people pics then you need a camera with 28mm. Lots of digicams out there with this feature, but I see some recommendations above for 35/36mm upwards (Z612 is 35mm - 420mm). Not so good for holiday snaps of landscapes and groups.
The use of wide-angle lenses in landscape photography is a matter of style. In general I use telephoto settings more frequently than wide settings when taking landscapes. In part this is to use natural framing elements. If I use a wide settings in landscape it is usually to create a "statement" shot, that is, a smaller object in foreground photographed large juxtaposed against the large background appearing relatively smaller. To my eye "statement" shots requires 28mm (equiv.) or shorter.Generally I can make either a 28mm (equiv.) or a 35mm work in family gathering pics.

The original requirements were for optical image stabilization and that's not on high ratio zooms, which was also one of the requirements.Optical ISis available (Canon SD800, Lumix FX07, DMC LX1 and LX2) on zooms that start at 28mm (equiv.) but these have much smaller zoom ratios.
Quite right AC. However to have the option of 28mm before composing can't but help.

Actually the LX2 was exactly the camera I had in mind, but it just doesn't have the long zoom factor Natalie mentioned, it's x4 I believe. Amongst all it's other goodies, the camera would however be perfect for holidays (being easily slipped into virtually any bag / purse/ zipped pocket) and it sports 10MP too.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:15 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

a.c.smith-

Of course, you are correct. I goofed and did notfinish the sentence. I should have said; "...onlyone contact on each end." Wheras the CRV-3 has two on contacts onone end.

You got me on that one, partner.

MT/Sarah


mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:54 AM   #28
Junior Member
 
NHogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
Default

Frogfish--

That's a great point and something I had totally overlooked. However, it seems like most cameras with 12x and 6x zoom don't go below 35mm. Can you reccomend a camera that has at least 6x zoom andcan dowide angle? (Maybe this is asking too much of these cameras....) Batteries and everything aside.

Is there an attachment to that could make any of these lenses wide angle?



Thanks!!



Natalie
NHogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:24 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Natalie-

The soon to be released Panasonic TZ-3 will have 28 to 280mm of focal length. That gives you a wide angle to 10X optical zoom. In addition it is a small compact camera that will easily slip into your purse, and sample photos made at high ISO settings really do look to be excellent and no longer filled with that typical Panasonic noise.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:32 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

NHogan wrote:
Quote:
Is there an attachment to that could make any of these lenses wide angle?



Thanks!!



Natalie
The Kodak P712, Canon PS S3, Sony DSC-H2 & H5 and probably the equivalent Lumix have a .7x wide angle converter which will convert36mm to 25mm. 25mm is a seriously wide-angle lens.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.