Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:08 AM   #11

Thank you for the explanation, mtngal! This really gave me an idea about how it works.. I think I have burbed too much info into my head lately.. I need a break top process everything..

After all I am getting into the next level.. I dont want a game over..
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:41 AM   #12

DigitalGal wrote:
Quote:
I still don't understand the importance of megapixels in cameras.. 6 or 10? Mine current camera has 5.. How can ir be that 6 mpx camera can be somehow better of 10mpx cam?
First off - nice image - nice framing.

Now, on to this question. How important is megapixels? The answer is - not very. 6mp cameras are fine up to 11x14 prints. The problem is, advertising had to latch onto some metric by which to expound how great a camera is/was. The metric that was landed on was megapixels. So, for the last 5 years that has been the single biggest advertising point. The truth is - for 90% of the hobbyists out there, the practical difference between 6mp and 10 is fairly insignificant. The other 10% are printing larger than 11x14. And for the few pro level or semi pro level photographers where there is a real difference, they are using higher end cameras anyway - Canon xD series or Nikon D2x or similar.

Now, the second part of this question: how can a 6mpx camera be better than a 10mp camera? Two answers: First, when you keep the same sensor size and just cram more MP on to it, quality can degrade - you get more noise and interference. This is one of the problems by the public and advertising focusing so much on MP alone as the indicator of camera quality. Manufacturers have to rush to produce cameras with more MP and don't have time to advance the technology to correct for the problems this causes.

The second answer is: the other 99% of the camera features are important too. So, as a whole, an older 6 or 8mp camera can easily be better because of all it's other features. I'm a sports shooter, and the top sports camera on the market today - Canon 1d mk II-N is only 8 mp. But it's a better sports camera than every single camera on the market (with the Nikon D2x the possible equal). There are 13 and 16mp cameras out there but none of them are a better sports camera. The whole new crop of 10mp DSLRs from Canon, Nikon, Pentax all fall far short because there are other things more important than MP (focus accuracy and speed for sports, customization, usability, durability).

Now, it just might be that a 10mp camera has OTHER features that make it a better choice FOR YOU than a 6 or 8mp camera. But the MP alone is not enough reason to select one camera over another.

As already mentioned if lowlight photography is an interest - Sony and Olympus are at the bottom of the pecking order. Canon, Nikon and Pentax are all good candidates.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:54 AM   #13

as an example of quality vs. quantity (re: camera megapixel count)

taken with 3 meg fuji finepix 3800 handheld, photo quality printable 8x8 right out of camera
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:13 PM   #14

Thank you for the having a look on my pic!

JohnG

You really cleared out my worries about megapixels.. Now, I think, my task became much more easier.. I still have time enough to find the best camera for me.. so I am going on..

Today I discovered new things about my Sony camera,, so I can still play with it while researching..

Here is one more image of today..
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:31 PM   #15

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
DigitalGal wrote:
Quote:
I still don't understand the importance of megapixels in cameras.. 6 or 10? Mine current camera has 5.. How can ir be that 6 mpx camera can be somehow better of 10mpx cam?
First off - nice image - nice framing.

Now, on to this question. How important is megapixels? The answer is - not very. 6mp cameras are fine up to 11x14 prints. The problem is, advertising had to latch onto some metric by which to expound how great a camera is/was. The metric that was landed on was megapixels.
I wanted both to reiterate what John G said (the "MP race" is largely only important to marketers and the naive buying public; there are so many OTHER relevant attributes that MP-madness does a real disservice to the customer) and disagree (more MP does have other uses than large prints).

===

In praise of Megapixels -- the core advantage of more MP is there's more *there* there. More image, more sharpness, more data.

Often -- VERY often, in fact -- huge MP's are pointless. No printer in the world can make a 5x7 print ANY sharper from a 10MP (or 12MP, or 20MP...) jpg than from a 6MP (or 5MP) jpg, and the eye wouldn't see the difference even if it could! They interpolate the extra data away. I've heard some people say they can -- barely -- see a 6MP-vs-10MP difference at 8x10 prints; I've not been able to do a really accurate *personal* comparison, so I'm not sure. JohnG's 11x14 (sometimes 11x17) are the numbers I most-often see cited for "when the difference becomes visible."

HOWEVER, sometimes -- maybe fairly often, depending on what/how you shoot -- you may find yourself cropping a pic. Sure, skilled photoshop'ing can clone out a distraction, etc... but sometimes, you just need different/tighter framing, or a large cut that's not suitable for "skilled photoshop'ing." That's the other time (besides large prints) that MP's really come into their own -- when you trim away HALF your image... and you've *still* got a 5MP image to play with (say, to print at 8x10...? You're not going to print large after cropping off half of a 6MP image...)

FWIW & all that.

OTOH, it cannot be denied that shrinking the individual photon-wells of the 10MP cameras *did* make them more susceptible to noise, than their 6MP brethren.

Me, I'm a sharpness-fiend and it's worth it to me; I'd buy the D80 over the D40/D50/D70 without a second thought. Were I a low-light-fiend, however... it'd be the other way around.

I *know* people who've moved from their 6MP cameras to the 10MP sibs, and LOVE the move; I know others who tried it for a month or two, and went back to the lower-resolution, lower-noise camera as their primary tool. I've got a 10MP, and it's my main camera; I *might* pick up a 6MP sib in the line, for a low-light/backup (or, I might not...)

- Steve S.

Steve-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:54 AM   #16

Steve-S,

Nice post. I agree with pretty much all you said.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:00 PM   #17

Thank you, guys.. I agree completely about the use of megapixels.. although I need my images cropped quite rarely.. I like to do the framing on site.. but sometimes happens.. it's tru that with 3 megapixels cam you ll need to use all the pixels to get a print.. no cropping..

I have been exploring a bit and so far I am for a Nikon camera.. it was very comfy also in my hand.. 40D/50D.. but I am still on my way..

Thanks again! And have a great day!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:42 PM   #18

I'm impressed. When seeing the pictures you've taken of yourself (which are very good, by the way), I thought that you must have one of those digicams with the articulating viewfinder so that you can compose the picture while you're in the frame. I was going to warn you that most dSLRs don't have that feature.

But when I read that you have a Sony DSC-V1, and I saw that it doesn't have an articulating viewfinder, I realized that you were taking all those photos blind! That's quite an acomplishment!

BTW, you will find that dSLRs are heavier than the DSC-V1, so you may not be able to take many shots like that anymore.

Our loss.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:23 AM   #19

TCav

you made me smile.. as I say I am a pro user of my camera.. a daily training - and this is a result.. ok..ok.. i am kidding.. Finally I have started to learn.. ie.. I am ready to learn..

By the way.. I have mentioned already before that my new camera MUST be a lightwight.. I have no muscles adapted for a big and heavy one.. well.. another joke.. but true..

Have a great day!

Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:46 PM   #20

Then, I don't think you need or want a dSLR.

I think what you need is a lightweight digicam with a fast lens and maybe an articulating viewfinder.

From Steve's pick for best cameras, I checked and didn't see any that are about as heavy as your DSC-V1 but with a brighter lens.

For something that light, you won't find anything with much better than an f/2.8 maximum aperature, and to get any brighter you'll have to go with a dSLR which (with lens) will weighmore than twice as much as your DCS-V1.

So unless anyonehas any otherideas, I think you've already got as good a camera as you're likely to find.

But don't stop looking. Or shooting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote