Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:19 PM   #21

The lightest weight DSLR, the Olympus E-400, with battery and the standard kit zoom, will still weigh 610 grams, or about twice the weight of the V1 (298g w/battery). The Nikon D-40 would weigh 727 grams, the Canon EOS 400D 746 grams, and the Pentax K100D 885 grams with battery(ies) and kit lens.

The E-400 might be an option here, but it isn't quite as good as the others for low light without flash, which you are interested in. This is because it is noisier (grainy images) at ISO 800 and above. I would recommend the Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens (also recommended for the D40 for this purpose), if you decide to go in that direction. It would make a big difference over the kit lenses when you need to shoot in indoor light without flash.

Also, the E-400 is right now only available in Europe. But, a succesor which will be available worldwide is expected to be announced in another week. So you might watch and see if prices fall. It sounds like this model might suit you, but I wouldn't want to pay a price premium for it over the Canon 400D. I'm not sure what prices are in Europe.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:46 PM   #22

It seems to me what she need is a P&S With an f/2.0 lens, but I don't know of any.

The Canon Powershot A550 has an f/2.6 lens, but that's not enough to make any realdifference.

A brighter lens means more glass, and glass is heavy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:30 PM   #23

Funny - just talking about this in another thread. Not necessarily, I mentioned I have an old Oly 3040 (3.3MP) in the cupboard that sports an f1.8. Just can't work out why manaufacturers don't seem to make them that bright any more (the 3040 was a x3 zoom).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:52 PM   #24

Frogfish wrote:
Quote:
Funny - just talking about this in another thread. Not necessarily, I mentioned I have an old Oly 3040 (3.3MP) in the cupboard that sports an f1.8. Just can't work out why manaufacturers don't seem to make them that bright any more (the 3040 was a x3 zoom).
It's probably because of the size of the sensor relative to the size of the lens. For a full frame sensor an f/1.8 lens might be huge, but if the sensor is 1/10th the width, the diamater of the lens only needs to be 1/10th as wide, and you'd get the same field of view with 1/10th the focal length.

When the 3MP is improved to go up to 6MP, if they don't want to increase noise levels they need to increase the sensor size. Then, if they want the same field of view, the focal length needs to be increased, but if they don't want to use a larger, more expensive lens, then they have to make do with a smaller aperture relative to the focal length (the f value being a ratio of the aperture to the focal length, so a 50mm aperture on a 100mm lens is a 1:2 lens.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:02 AM   #25

deleted as double.. hanged while sending the 1st time..

DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:06 AM   #26

Well.. I have read all the considerations made about what I need..

I ll say one more time.. I have turned into a pro user of my Sony (but still finding new things to try).. but the worse thing about my Sony is that I feel limited by it's ability as a compact digicam.. It's lacking RAW, image stabilizing system could be a favour also.. But the most important thing is zoom, which I find very limited.. A photography is making a big part of my daily activities, I can't imagine my life without it anymore..

Considering the weight and size of camera.. I can explain my consideration.. I still want it always with me.. so it cannot be very big and heavy.. Nikon D40 I have held in hand (also Canon EOS400D).. they are OK in all aspects.. Pentaz K100 is heavier because of kind of batteries it is using..

About the battery.. There are two things I am afraid - the weight and the working time.

Another question:

How long does it last in normal shooting session for Pentax and Nikon, and Canon cameras considered by me?
Olympus E-400 that has been mentioned here I still have to see..
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:19 AM   #27

On the Canon you should expect over 500 shots on a single battery charge. So quite a bit improvement over most digicams.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:15 AM   #28

If weight is no longer a consideration, then you've got all kinds of choices, and a wealth of information has been posted earlier in theis topic.

But the Sony DSC-V1 has a 7-28mm zoom (34-135 equivalent), which you say you find limiting. A standard kit lens for a dSLR will give you about the same wide-angle, but less telephoto, so a zoom lens that would extend beyond what you already have (say an 18-200) will, all by itself, weigh at least twice what your current camera weighs, and that's not counting the dSLR body. And if instead of selecting a single lens for more zoom than you already have, you elect to go with multiple lenses, that will be even more weight.

You may end up growning some muscles.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:30 AM   #29

Another option might be the Olympus SP-510 Ultra Zoom or the KODAK EasyShare P712 (from Steve's list of best cameras.) They have a longer zoom than you're used to, and can create RAW image files. The Kodak even has Image Stabilization.

But the lenses on these aren't any brighter than your DSC-V1.

But neither will zoom lenses on a dSLR.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:48 AM   #30

"When the 3MP is improved to go up to 6MP, if they don't want to increase noise levels they need to increase the sensor size."

The thing is they didn't increase the sensor size on those digicams, if anything they are making them smaller. There are still some 1/1.8" sensors. You really don't see the 2/3" sensor size anymore either. But I think it comes down to cost.

These were generally the top of the line "pro-sumer" type models I guess. Today, if they put that much into a pro-sumer type digicam, they have trouble selling it because it costs as much or more than a dSLR. People will pay for the big superzooms, because it adds some convenience over changing lenses for that zoom on a dSLR. But, I think there would be more of a market for a smallish advanced digicam with real pro-sumer specs.

If DigitalGal wants to consider more advanced digicams to weigh against the dSLRs, some options might be:

Fuji S9100/9600 - Heavier than the smallest dSLRs (750g). 9MP, 28-300mm f2.8-4.9, hot shoe, manual zoom ring, manual focus ring, RAW, ISO 80-1600. It was basically an improvement of the S9000, with better image processing, shaper jpegs, faster focus, and a better LCD:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s9000.html

Fuji S6000 - Similar, but only 6MP, with no hot shoe for external flashes and no support for adding conversion lenses. 28-300mm f2.8-4.9, manual zoom ring, manual focus ring, RAW, ISO 100-3200. A bit lighter at 700g with batteries.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...i_s6000fd.html

Kodack P712 - 7MP, 36-432mm f2.8-3.7, optical image stabilization, hot shoe, manual zoom lever, manual focus joystick, conversion lens support, RAW and TIFF, ISO 64-800, . Also quite a bit lighter, at 440g.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/p712.html

Panasonic FZ30 - 8MP, 35-420mm f2.8-3.7, optical image stabilization, hot shoe, manual zoom ring, manual focus ring, conversion lens support, RAW and TIFF, ISO 80-400, flip out LCD, weighs 740g.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz30.html

Canon S3IS - 6MP, 36-432mm, f2.7-3.5, optical image stabilization, manual zoom lever, manual focus via buttons, conversion lens support, ISO 80-800, flip out LCD, weighs 510g.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html

Panasonic FZ8 - 7MP 36-432mm, f2.8-3.1, optical image stabilization, manual zoom lever, manual focus joystick, conversion lens support, RAW, ISO 100-1250. Weighs only 340g with battery (about the size of the old V1).
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/

IMHO these would be the models to weigh against the smaller dSLRs, the Olympus E-400, Canon Eos 400D, and Nikon D40.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote