Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:49 AM   #11

If build quality is not an issue, get a rebel xti or xti. they are so very light and you will appreciate its lightweight. Nikon, sony...they're all so heavy. But if you want versatility the olympus and lens kits are a great deal.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:13 PM   #12

cgl88 wrote:
Quote:
If build quality is not an issue, get a rebel xti or xti. they are so very light and you will appreciate its lightweight. Nikon, sony...they're all so heavy. But if you want versatility the olympus and lens kits are a great deal.
The Pentax K100 is much lighter than the K10D and also has Image Stabilisation. If the 6.1 MP doesn't put you off (and you are considering the D40 - same 6.1MP so this shouldn't be an issue) this seems like another excellent kit to consider. Rather more choices than maybe you first imagined

Some excellent write-ups - just check this site and then Google it !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:00 PM   #13

I'm sure someone will tell me if I can't post this (if so apologies in advance).

From PopPhoto.com (Popular Photography & Imaging):

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3814...tax-k100d.html

Nikon D40 - Pleasing, well saturated images but a tendency to slightly over expose
Pentax K100D - Pleasant and well saturated but a tendency to slightly underexpose, very low noise. Surprisingly sharp for a 6MP camera and much sharper than the *ist models.
Olympus E500 - Softer images than the Pentax and Nikon which are 6MP
Olympus E400 - No better than the Pentax so to me not worth the very high premium. Just shows that the number of megapixels is only part of the story.
Sony Alpha A-100- Very good but the difference to me isn't worth the extra money
Canon Rebel XTi- Very good but the difference to me isn't worth the extra money

This is a User review on the main site.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:09 PM   #14

frogfish-

My recommendation to Joyce concerning the Nikon D-40 was based on using the kit lens, which is quite good, and the inexpensive Nikkor 55-200mm lens which costs $(US)165.00 to 180.00.

Both have great image quality and produce very sharp images. So those are not what I would call costly lensesI am attaching a photo taken with the D-40 kit lens, the Nikkor 18-55mm.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 2:25 PM   #15

Thanks for all the advice guys!! You've been very helpfull :-).

Yes I think I am going to wait till after this PMA show. Want to get the best camera possible. I believe I will have it for many years as yes a student isn't the richest person in the world :-P. You're right Frogfish it would be a GREAT advantage if the body I buy will be compatible with MANY lenses including old ones so I have the opportunity to get some bargins :-). That's why I'm not too keen on the Nikon D40, it does look like a great camera though. Thanks for the pic Sarah :-).

This is slightly off topic but I've got quite a few old lenses from my Minolta...will they go with any dSLRs on the market? I believe the Sony Alpha will be compatible with them? But I'm not too keen on the Sony Alpha....

Also wondering...I think I am leaning towards purchasing a Canon or Nikon...see if anything interesting pops up after this show. Just want some advice on lenses. The kit lens for the canon at the moment apparently isn't that great. So I was wondering if someone has some reccomendations for walk about lenses for Nikon or Canon so I can just buy the body and a better seperate lens...not too expensive as I was hoping to keep the cost of body and lens below 1,000€.

Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks for all the advice again, I really appreciate it! :-)

Joyce

Sandytrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:05 PM   #16

Joyce-

A Nikon D-50 (which takes all Nikon lenses) could be nicely coupled with the Nikkor 18-135mm lens or the Sigma 17-70mm lens .

A Cannon XT or XTi, or even a Pentax K100Dcould be coupled with a Tokina 24-200mm lens (very available used) or a Sigma 18-125mm lens (also very available used)

Those "set-ups" would provide a a good walk around lens capability.

And, yes, all of the old Minolta mount lenses will work on the Sony A-100.

MT/Sarah

Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:48 PM   #17

Sandytrail,
You and I are in the same boat. I have a couple of minolta lenses so i am 'married to sony' by family in many ways: the a100 is the most cost-economic choice for me, ironically.

Both Nikon and Canon have a great set of available lenses.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:55 PM   #18

cgl-

Let's be honest, Yes, those old Minolta lens will fit the Sony A-100. However, the real question is this: how good a DSLR camera really is the Sony A-100? It is a K-M 5D make over. Why didn't Sony really spend some time and innovation on creating a totally new, or almost new DSLR camera that would send Canon and Nikon back to the drawing boards in a hurry.

Instead, we got presented to us a DSLR camera that was increased in megapixels, but actually was a whole lot less than the K-M 5D on which it is based in large part. What does that tell us about Sony's commitment to creating a really viable DSLR line of camera?

It is just my personal opinion, but when the pressure was on, I think that, for some reason, Sony backed off on their commitment to creating a new and really viable line of DSLR camera. Well, they still have a chance at PMS 2007. But I think their enthusiasm, for some reason, has decidedly waned. And I am still sitting here with a lot of great Minolta lenses! Ack!

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:30 PM   #19

Check out the Pentax K10D. Weather sealing is top notch. Good when your taking pix at the beach or outside and it gets a bit misty.

Apparently very rugged.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:58 PM   #20

Just a very polite question, lesmore. Have you read the preceding posts, prior to postingyour rather bombastic post. I was just wondering. perhaps you can elighten me. Thanks! But, quite honestly,I don't think that you did the logical/correct/polite thing to do when posting on forums. That is taking the time to read the preceding posts. The original poster is looking for a small, compact DSLR camera that does not cost too much due to her student status. The Pentax K-10 is a large and more expensive camera.

MT/Sarah