Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:42 PM   #1

Just out of curiosity...can some one tell me why one would consider an ultra expensive camera like the M8? It costs more than a Nikon D2Xs!! With less than 30 lens available. Is the photo quality so much better? It's certainly not as feature rich as the Nikon. And possibly not as durable (w/ weather sealing etc.). Do Leica digital cameras avoid the noise problems that plague Panasonic cameras (being as they sare technology such as OIS)? Or is it just a camera for people with too much money and little common sense?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:12 PM   #2

To quote an elitist advertising slogan . . .

"If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand."

Leicas, & the M series in particular, have a loyal following for their quality, exclusivity & beautiful design/ handling.

I haven't tried a M8 yet, but if it's anything like the previous M's - comparing it to a D2Xs is like comparing a LX470 Lexus to a Z8 BMW.

Personally, I've shot Nikon's for 30 years, so it's not like I've drank the cool-aid, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate the quality & heritage of a company like Leica.

Best.

imo

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3

fastglass wrote:
Quote:
To quote an elitist advertising slogan . . .

"If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand."

Leicas, & the M series in particular, have a loyal following for their quality, exclusivity & beautiful design/ handling.

I haven't tried a M8 yet, but if it's anything like the previous M's - comparing it to a D2Xs is like comparing a LX470 Lexus to a Z8 BMW.

Personally, I've shot Nikon's for 30 years, so it's not like I've drank the cool-aid, but that doesn't mean we can't appreciate the quality & heritage of a company like Leica.

Best.

imo
Thanks for the post!

Spoke to an owner/user of the M8. He had it for roughly two months. Said at the that point he's had to send it to Germany for what he called "the Big Fix program". Problems already?? Pfffft... But I suppose when it's working it can be rewarding. Here are some of his reasons for owning the M8...

"it's light, quiet and unobstrusive; M8 is very fsat when you get to know it; RF focus means I get to focus on what I want and not what the camera thinks I want; viewfinder is larger and brighter than a DSLR; and you get to see what's outside the shot and what is in the frame-great for anticipating things; descipite much publicized issues with IR etc...images and color are superb when you know how; BIG enlargements up to 40" wide are no contest-the M8 beats any DSLR regardless of pixel count (he has a Canon 5D too); lenses are fantastic (and fantastically expensive) with an edge to edge sharpness even at very wide apertures that most people can only dream of; it feels like a camera not a computer with a lens on it"

As far as sharpness and color I can vouch for that. As I've seen a lot of his work. I was impressed. But from what he said (see above) it sounds like the M8 is not a user-friendly camera. With more than a few operating quirks. More so than with DSLRs. But when you get it right...

Perhaps when I win the lottery and when my skill level is fitting of the M8 I might consider it. Or it's replacement.

For now I'm aiming at picking up a Nikon D200 or it's replacement the D200s. Or possibly the upcoming Canon 40D (or the 30D).

Would still love to hear from some M8 owners.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote