Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:32 PM   #11

At B&H photo, the Pentax K100d with 18-55mm kit lens can be had for $490 after a $50 mail-in rebate. A Pentax or Tamron 75-300mm lens can be had for $130, so that's $620. There are a few choices though for telephoto lenses around that range, from $30 less to $20 more, I haven't really shopped myself so don't know most of the differences between them.

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:09 AM   #12

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Can the Pentax do that, most probably they can, oh well. Won't you please set forward a comparable kit with a two lenes using the Pentax format. I will be very interested to see your exactly what your proposalmight be?

Mt/Sarah
The Pentax K100D with its also pretty good kit lens, plus the SIGMA 70-300mm would be about the same.

(And is the lens pair I use currently on my Pentax K10D)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:22 AM   #13

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, Sarah. What I was trying to say (my writing abilities aren't even as good as my limitedphoto capabilities, I guess) is that the Pentax would be a cheaper solution for someone like me, who wants/needs image stabilization.

B&H prices - Nikon D40 with kit lens $599.95 (then subtract a $14.00 rebate). You can an inexpensive 55-200 lens, but it's not stabilized. The least expensive VR zoomlens I saw glancing through the Nikon list was the 70-300 VR lens at $499. Add that together and its significantly more expensive than a K100 with kit and a Sigma or Tamron 70-300 lens.

As I have said before, if image stabilization isn't important to a buyer (and it won't/shouldn't be important to everyone) then ergonomics should be a big deciding factor. On that score everyone is an individual and the Nikon will definitely appeal to some where others will prefer the Pentax. Both cameras can take excellent pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:50 AM   #14

I would agree completely mtngal. As I mentioned in my post, the price point is very similiar or close (give or take $70 to $100)for both the Pentax and the Nikon. The Pentax does include SR in the camera body which for some folks will a big plus.

And it appears that the low cost end of the market is where the real growth is right now, for DSLR cameras. So Pentax is the lowest, with Canon and Nikon making their offerings in just about the same price range. I believe that the camera manufacturers are looking more at the possible "after market". Once a photo entusiast has, even a small collection of lenses, they are more likely to stay with that particular lens mount, rather than beginning a new lens collection, and selling off the old lenses.

Pentax has created a spot for themselves in the DSLR marketthat works well for them and they serve many photo enthusiasts with good equipment at an attractive price. I respect that, and hope that it helps create more longivity for Pentax as well.

The only company that seems to be ignoring that logic is Sony. There entry price point is considerably higher than Pentax, Canon , or Nikon. Plus they are only offering one model camera currently, the A-100 Alpha. So Sony's approach seems to run somewhat opposite to the logic employed by Canon, Nikon, and Pentax.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next few years.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:53 PM   #15

Per www.pricegrabber.com (lest I'm accused of too much bias)...

Looks like the Nikon D40 kit is going for $540. The K100D kit is going for $525. The K110D kit (which is really a better comparison to the D40 as it doesn't have shake reduction) is going for $445. The Pentax rebates are $50 off of those prices if you buy just the kit. If you buy the kit and the 50-200 zoom, the rebate is $150. If you add a couple of items (flash, lens) the rebate could be as much as $200. As the old adage goes, you've gotta spend to save! :-)

Depending on which package you put together, the Pentax is either a little cheaper or a lot cheaper.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:24 PM   #16

hmmm interesting stuff... I am just wondering where is the upgrade path with the Pentax? I mean if I want a better body then the Nikon has that, or if I want a wider range of new lenses then Nikon also has that...

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:31 PM   #17

The upgrade for the Pentax would be the K10D. That's a semi-pro or pro-sumer type of model that would go up against a D80 or Canon 30D, though it's build quality is maybe even a bit better. If you're thinking you might eventually want to upgrade to pro gear, usually meaning $2000+ camera and several thousand dollars for lenses, then you are better off sticking with Nikon or Canon.

Pentax has been rumoured to be possibly working on a pro body, but they really don't have even sufficient intermediate level zoom lenses right now to support the K10D. But there are a few on the way that will begin to address that shortly. And they do have a fine collection of prime lenses available.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:28 AM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I would agree completely mtngal. As I mentioned in my post, the price point is very similiar or close (give or take $70 to $100)for both the Pentax and the Nikon. The Pentax does include SR in the camera body which for some folks will a big plus.
And those who don't think it at all imprtant, have probably never experienced IS.

I have pretty steady hands (and have been told so) and could routinely get decent wide 1/4 sec shots in at least a couple of tries. on my old C Rebel.

But with the Pentax K10D IS (and on ANY lens) its now not even second thought about (though I am just as careful).

And I have gotten as decent 1/4 sec shots at 200mm vs 28mm...usually on FIRST try not fourth.

IS is amazing especially when in body (and only slightly inferior to buy it over and OVER again $$$ lens IS), and for any lens even if the most antique fully manual lens. (The Pentax K's can use ANY lens EVER made for Pentax's though the real old M42 screw mounts do require an adapter.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote