Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:04 PM   #1

and Nikon D40 is just amazing how cheap you can get one from a reliable online store. A few months back I bought the D50 didnt like it and got the FZ50 and have been happy with it. And recentlytried outthe D40 from Nikon and found I like it. Itjusthandles so different from the D50. Also played with the Pentax K10 and really enjoyed playing with it also. After the D50 I swore off these slrcameras but I want to give them another try for these incredible prices. So my questionis I would like to hear opinions on which of these to cameras the D40 and thek100make an over all better picture in terms of color and sharpness. With uses like family inside and outside andto the theme parks or at the beach. I like to take random shots of things I see everyday around me.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:47 PM   #2

What was it about the D50 that you didn't like? If it was strictly ergonomics, then you should be able to find another camera that "fits". If it was that you don't like futzing with controls and such, or that the pictures weren't quite as nice out of the camera as the Panasonic, then I doubt you'll be happy with another dSLR.

The D40 seems to have the most in-camera processing, meaning it may come closer to apoint&shoot in that regard.

Russ

<edit> - meant to say "point & shoot" and instead originally said "dSLR" in the last line.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:47 PM   #3

To be honest it just didnt feel right in my hands. I didnt like the layout on it and just couldnt get a picture I was happy with in the three days I had it before returning it. Recently trying the other 2 I just loved the user friendly modes and it made me feel comfortable with the cameras right away. So I would just like some opinions as to which one takes a better overall picture in terms of sharpness and color.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:53 PM   #4

Serafin, I have access to both cameras on a daily basis. Here's the skivvy:

The d40 from nikon was an SLR designed for folks that love in-camera processing, punchy colours, and fairly good noise reduction without allot of post photo manipulation requirements. It is small, light, and, to my hand, ergonomical. However, in order to make an iddy-biddy SLR, Nikon has removed the lens drive motor, normally situated in the body of the SLR, to shrink the overall dimensions. Only the new and expensive AF-S (silent focus lenses using electrical connections that actuate a motor inside the lens) will work, which is crappy. No aftermarket company has any lenses that will work on the D40, which means lens options are through Nikon only,and thatmeans you don't have big selection OR low price points. Otherwise it is very user friendly and an ok SLR for beginners.

The k100d, on the other hand, has about a ba-jillion lens options, including old musty manual focus riff-raff from the 70's. All k-mount, auto and manual focus, will meter and work effectively. The Pentax has an 11 point auto focus, which is more accurate than the D40's 3 point. Again, the pentax, like the Nikon, is very user friendly. On top of that, the pentax has 'sensor float' image stabilization. All lenses, including old lenses, are image stabilized. This can render a better picture in low light situations, or when you are using big zoom lenses. However, I will say that 'auto' white balancing mode leaves much to be desired on the pentax. And noise can be an issue above 400 iso.

Overall I think that In the realm of automatic function The D40 would be the better. When you want expandability, and a camera that has a slightly larger performance envelope, the k100d should get the nod.
An-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. So which camera in your opinion makes a better over all picture.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:40 PM   #6

In all due respect to An-D:

Currently Nikon has 26 lenses in the AF-S and AF-I category that fit the Nikon D-40. In addition they are gearing up to add more by mid year. In addition to the Nikon lenses, there are, I believe, 11 Sigma HSM lenses that will also work fully AE/AF on the Nikon D-40. Well that is 37 lenses and the total is due to increase because Tamron and Tokina are also gearing up to provide lenses for the D-40 as well.

Nikon has sold a record number of the D-40's already. The D-40 has received excellent professional and user reviews. Just take a look at the http://www.dpreview.com Nikon Forum and you can see how enthusiastic even long term Nikon users are about the D-40. The D-40 is attracting many new folks who are crossing over from point and shoot cameras to DSLR cameras becauseNikon has taken the time to create a new camera that appeals to the transitioners with its: in camera processing, easy menus, good color, and the like. Yes, just looking at and handling the D-40 for a few minutes, you will realize it is sort of familiar, and it has an easy menu structure, that it handles a good deal like a Panasonic FZ-50, but is a lot smaller, and the like.

So Serafin, you observations and feelings about the D-40 are right on target. Nikon has made a DSLR camera, the D-40, that feels like the cameras you are used to handling and using.

Among my students, I have four that own the D-40. In addition, I also own one too. I think it is a great DSLR camera, and i have really enjoyed using the D-40. The D-40 is sold only as a kit in the USA. It comes with the Nikkor 18-55mm lens, which is a very good quality kit lens. I think an ideal lens for the D-40 is either the Nikkor 18-135mm lens or the 18-200mmVR lens. I have also included a sample D-40 photo for you.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:12 PM   #7

Sarah, do you work for nikon? :blahjust kidding)

From my perspective, being involved with a dealer of camera merchandise, the sale of D40's in this area is fairly laughable. Not that I don't love my Nikons: the D80 and the D200 are, in my opinion, top of the line. One of my best friends shot my wedding with his D70s and it turned out wonderful. So I have faith in the quality of their equipment.

The MSRP of the 26 lenses you mentioned is at or above $400.00 each (save the 18-55mm kit lens).Nearly half of these lenses are AI-S, which are manual focus only. There are precious few primeor super wide angle lenses available.If you want anything fast with VR you pay twice as much (at least from a local dealer or reputable e-tailer). However, I will conceed that selling price is a compromise between cost and suggested retail price, so you can knock off maybe $50-$100 on select lenses.

Serafin, I believe that picture quality is heavily influenced by the lens on the camera. Some bodies do this or that, but the lens is the first thing that the image comes through. If you have the moo-lah you can get the trick nikkor glass and shoot mega sharp pictures. My point is that I can grab my 50mm f1.7 that I bought for $25.00 and, in conjunction with the in-camera image stabilization, get a hellava sharp image.

An-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:18 PM   #8

An-D-

I hate to let you down. However, I am not a Nikon salesperson at all. I am an olderDigital Camera Instructor, who thinks that the Nikon D-40, coupled with the 18-55mm kit lens (which is quite good, BTW) and the Nikon 55-200mm lens (also a very good lens) can give the beginning DSLR users a BIG BANG FOR A SMALL INVESTMENT!

I just want to encourage those who are making the transition to DSLR cameras. Now won't you consider/admit that ismy suggested "package" is indeed avery small and nice admission ticket to the DSLR world, An-D? In fact, those two lenses, might be all some of these folks will want, and/or need for their photos. While at the sametime, those beginners get access to the Nikon System.

MT/Sarah
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:16 PM   #9

Both these cameras will take great pictures.

Image stabilization will mean more to some people than to others. I'm one of those people on a small budget, but who isn't the steadiest in the world, so the in-camera SR with the Pentax was the way I wanted to go (I have a K100 and love it). Other people who have better photographic stances won't care one way or the other.

The Nikon's lens limitation might or might not mean much to you - best thing is to look at what lenses are available and if they will meet both your needs and your budget. Since I'm on a limited budget and don't mind manual lenses, I'm happily using two lenses that were originally bought in 1980, and trying to decide whether another manual lens is worth getting fixed. However, not everyone would like that, and not everyone is saving up for Pentax's new not-yet-released top quality lenses.

If you are happy with the lens selection of the Nikon and SR doesn't make a difference, then buy the one that feels more comfortable to you to use. As you found out, that's a HUGE factor inyour enjoyment.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:47 PM   #10

Mtngal-

I really do apologize. However, what is it you were attempting to say? Did I get it mixed up, or miss something? But when you take a NIkon D-40 and add a $165.00 for the additional/or second lens, the total cost is just $707.00, a rather low cost for a two lens kit or set-up, don't you think? What is wrong with that? Can the Pentax do that, most probably they can, oh well. Won't you please set forward a comparable kit with a two lenes using the Pentax format. I will be very interested to see your exactly what your proposalmight be?

Thanks!

Mt/Sarah