Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:50 PM   #31

That's not a nice sports camera. Its a 10 MP movie!

They doubled the shutter life (300k) & they are going to NEED it.

How they process that magnitude of incoming data is mind blowing.

Really, the price isn't that bad considering.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:10 PM   #32

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Why do I think that JohnG might have eye on this one (since he likes to shoot sports)? Sorry John, I couldn't resist. lol

:G:G

Ah, yes, it's rare anymore that a CAMERA can make such a big impact on photography, but you're right Jim - if this one lives up to it's billing it will be a worthwhile investment. I've been saving my pennies for the last year and since I started selling work last year, I don't even have to worry about justifying it to my wife - I've reached the nice equilibrium of my hobby being self-funding

By the time it's readily available and proven out a bit (hey a lot of things look great on paper but with all thesechanges I'm guessing there will be some bumps early on - hopefull just firmware, but you never know)in early summer I should have enough to buy it.

And, I'm guessing others will benefit from some mk II-N cameras going up on the used market.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:48 AM   #33

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It's not cheap. But, Olympus also has a super nice 35-100mm f/2 zoom available, which is the brightest zoom lens made for a DSLR.
Maybe somebody can explain this to me as I have a real problem understanding why zoom lenses for DSLR's today are not brighter than they are.

I have an 3.3 MP Oly 3040 in the cupboard that has an AF Zoom 7.1 - 21.3mm 1.8 - 2.6 lens on it. Now this is obviously not the highest quality lens out there but it did a sterling job as my underwater camera due to the brighness of the lens, giving me great 8 x 10's.

Sample of a striated Frogfish attached. Guess you know where my moniker comes from now :-)
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:16 AM   #34
Administrator

Frogfish wrote:
Quote:
Maybe somebody can explain this to me as I have a real problem understanding why zoom lenses for DSLR's today are not brighter than they are.

I have an 3.3 MP Oly 3040 in the cupboard that has an AF Zoom 7.1 - 21.3mm 1.8 - 2.6 lens on it. Now this is obviously not the highest quality lens out there but it did a sterling job as my underwater camera due to the brighness of the lens, giving me great 8 x 10's.
Size, weight and cost. ;-)

Your Oly C-3040 Zoom has a very tiny sensor compared to the sensors used in a DSLR. As a result, you can use a much shorter focal length lens to get the same angle of view that you'd need a much longer lens for on a 35mm camera. That's why your 7.1-21.3mm lens gives you the same angle of view you'd get using a 35-105mm lens on a 35mm camera.

The reason that Olympus can make an f/2 zoom for it's 4/3's series camera is because the sensor in their DSLR models is smaller than the sensors used in competing DSLR models from Pentax, Nikon, Canon, KM, Sony, etc.

Despite it's smaller sensor compared to competing DSLR models, it's still *much* larger than the sensor used in your Olympus non-DSLR model.

Note the size/weight of that lens:

Specifications for Zuiko 35-105mm f/2 at B&H

It would need to be even larger and heavier for a model with a larger sensor in order to project a large enough image circle and gather enough light to maintain f/2.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:40 AM   #35

Thanks Jim. I was aware of the sensor size differences of course but hadn't realised their importance in relation to lens size / weight. I learn more every time I visit this site !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 3:30 PM   #36

The mystery though is why some small sensor cameras today don't have brighter lenses. I don't know if there's even a current model digicam available that does f2. And the only real reason would be if there aren't as many consumers are willing to pay for that as there are willing to pay for more megapixels or 18x zoom.

Reviewers today will fawn over an extra stop of ISO on a digicam. Would an extra stop from the lens be any less useful?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote