Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2007, 3:44 AM   #1

I'm planning on buying my first DSLR this summer to replace or join my panasonic FZ30. The reason I want a DSLR is for the better iso settings to shoot indoor sports, and the smaller DOF.

Somehow I don't like canon and because of the prints (4 x 6) I don't want Olympus.

So now I'm considering two camara's. The Nikon D70 or the Pentax K100D. For now I choose the nikon because I can use a prime like the 50mm 1.8. I can't findthe sameprime lens for the Pentax and when I do, it only works with MF (maybe I'm misinformed).

Now I have a bit of a problem, I'm afraid that the Nikon D70 won't be sold anymore this summer and I only want to buy new. So that probally sets me back to the other choice the Pentax K100D. But I want to use a prime lens that works with auto focus.

Does anybody have a suggestion to go with an other camera or to buy a prime lens for the pentax....?

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:04 AM   #2

You've actually been mis-informed about the Pentax 50mm prime lenses. Pentax still makesthe nice, very popular FA50mm 1.4 (a faster lens than the 1.8, but not enough to make much difference), which is auto focus, auto exposure. At the moment demand is outpacing supply, so most people who want it order from B&H (listed priceat the moment $219.95, and Pentax is offering a $25.00 rebate)or Adorama and wait until the stores get a shipment in. That's a temporary situation and will ease up as time goes on.

Pentax has made in the past several versions of a fast prime 50mm lens, and they had varying capabilities. I happen to have two M lenses that are 50mm, a 1.7 and a 1.4. Both are something like 25 years old -my(then) boyfriend bought the 1.7 for mein 1980 and my father bought the 1.4 at some point around the same time. Those (along with A lenses)are the manual lenses people have told you about that will work on the K100, but have no ability to auto focus, and are easily available on ebay and at pawn shops. Since the FA 50mm1.4 is hard to find at the moment (something that has happened only in the last 6 months) many people will pick up these old lenses for significantly less than a new lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:08 AM   #3

Both the Nikon D-70s and the Pentax K100D are excellent DSLR cameras. Yes, there is some doubt if the D-70s will be in production by this summer. However, based on inventory there will most probably be some D-70smodels remaining on dealer's shelves. Both cameras can use the 50mm F 1.8 or F 1.4 lenses. I even use my Nikkor 50mm F1.4 lens with my D-50 with full AF & AE. The Pentax K100D can also use the Pentax 50mm lens with ease with full AF & AE providing the latest model is used.

I agree with you that the supply and variety (choice)of lenses in some focal lengths gets a bit thin with the Pentax system. That is the reason that I have focused on the Nikon system. While the Pentax K100D does offer in-camera IS, which Pentax calls Shake Reduction, the Nikon D-70s also has unique offerings as well such as the wireless Flash Commander Mode.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

For now I keep my hopes on the D70 because of the faster focus in (very) dim light, but if it's not available anymore at the time I can buy, then I know that there is a good alternative which fits my needs.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote