Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:34 PM   #1

Hello!

I need a camera that can take great wide angle shots because i take a lot of pictures of the insides of houses (rooms). My current camera used to work great. it is a Kodak DC4800 with a .6x lens on it which brings it down to a 16.8mm equivalent zoome which is absolutely perfect for my needs. The problem is that this camera is starting to not work properly and the image quality isn't that stellar in today's world.

So far here is what I have looked into:

Canon G7. This camera did work great but it has a 35mm equivalent lens. The only lens that I could find that worked was a 0.3x fisheye lens. I figured this would be ookay (not perfect) since I could zoom in just a bit to get the proper wide angel shots for my needs. However upon fitting this lens on the camera the camera wouldn't focus no matter what I tried and everything was blurry.

Sony H2. (I know it's a 'zoom' camera but I'm getting desperate!!!) With an adaptor ring and wide angle lens the image at the widest angle shot was like a black piece of paper with a hole cut out in the middle. Like looking down a tube with a lens on the end (yes, I know this is exactly what was going one!!!) :? This isn't acceptable.

Kodak P880. This looked stellar on paper. 24mm equivalent lens and with Kodak's adaptor tube and .7x lens it would work PERFECTLY. NOPE! The same darn 'looking down a tube' picture!!!! The adaptor 'tube' thatKodak sells is a couple of inches longand tapers down in size from a 57mm thread at the camera to a 55mm at the lens end.Even without a lens on the camera but with the adaptor tube in place you can see the adaptor tube through the lens/display. It's like watching an old episode of Magnum P.I.when they show the binocular viewwith two circles on the screen.

What camera/lens combo should I get? I've owned a few digital cameras in the past that I could just pop a wide angle lens on the front (such as a Sony DSC-s50) without any of the 'looking down a dark tube' effects but on the newer cameras (which I need for the greater picture clarity) there seems to be a distinct lack of choices or indeed any choices at all.

I know that a DSLR would work perfectly except for two things:

1. It would be very costly

2. Because of the angles that I hold the camera I CAN't use the optical viewfinder but rather must use an LCD screen to actively see what I'm taking a picture of.

The only other camera that I can find that MIGHT work would be the Sony R1. The only problem is that they aren't available new anymore so if I bought one and it had the same problems as mentioned above I couldn't return it.

Somebody please help! The more research I do into this the more and more frustrated, confused and generally stupid I feel!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:02 PM   #2

b****y-

I am very interested to know why the 24mm P-880 when coupled with the outstanding Kodak P-20 on a tripod will not work for you?? I have taken hundreds of photos for our local Realtors with that combination, and (thank Goodness!) they rave about my photos. Am I missing something?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:11 PM   #3

Sarah! Thanks for responding!

I'm a real estate agent (as I'm sure you guessed!!!).

The 24mm is great but I would really like to somehow get a camera (with a lens of course) that could shoot somewhere around 17mm. I've found that this is the best size for capturing just about all of the room from a corner with minimal distortion. The native 24mm lens on the Kodak P880 will work ok I was just hoping for something just a bit wider.

The problem is that I've gotten so used to the angles produced by my Kodak dc4800 with the .6x lens (16.8mm end result) that I'd like a new camera that can produce similar angles. My dc4800 is a fantastic little camera but there is quite a bit of 'purpling' to the pictures and the camera itself is starting to get a bit funky (freezing up and stuff) meaning that it is at the end of its life.

I snapped a picture from a tripod of a room using both my old DC4800 with the lens and the P880 without the lens and just the little bit of extra room shown on both sides of the picture can really make a difference.

I'm probably making too big a deal out of this though. I've been researching cameras for the last six months trying to figure out which one to buy and initially settled on the Sony R1 but by the time I made up my mind it was no longer available new (i'm slow to act on these things...... :? I was also hesitant because it appeared thatit was necessary to use a really funkyadaptorbracket thing to get an accessory lens onto this camera. Which is another thing that drives me nuts because you cannever tell if you'll need an adaptor or not as manufactures aren't that clear and lens re-sellers neither have a clue nor ever seem to have any in stock that you can try leaving it up to you tolay down some cash, order one and find out if it actually works...

:angry:

From all my research it appears that there are three different types of cameras on the market today:

1. point and clicks. These won't work because of the lack of lens and flash options.

2. zoom cameras. not the direction of lens for my needs.

3. Dslr. too expensive, complicated and don't have an active LCD.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:54 PM   #4

I find that the 24mm view created with the P-880 and Kodak P-20 Flash combo makes everyone happy, so I guess I will stay with that because I end up with straight vertical angles and no bending/distortion of the photos that you must/or most probablysee at 17mm. I am guessing, but 17mm is pretty extreme for realistic real estate photos.

Can you show me some photos that you have taken at 17mm, please. Thanks!

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:24 PM   #5

DSLR - There are actually a couple now that have a live view LCD that you can use as a viewfinder. But it does get very expensive. Especially since lenses that go that wide tend to be pricey. But you can get a live view DSLR with a very high quality lens which starts at 14mm equivalent...for about $2200 total. For about $1000-1400 you might get either 15mm equivalent in a camera without live view, or 21mm equivalent with it. Maybe there's a cheaper way to do it with an older manual focus lens.

Point and clicks - look into the Kodak V570 (5MP) and V705 (7MP) which both have a 23mm equivalent lens. Not sure if there are any add-ons that will work. Also check if there are any add-ons for Panasonic, as they have several models where the zoom starts at 28mm (FX01, FX07, LX1, LX2). But I'm not sure if any of these are as nice as the P-880. Or as likely to have add-ons available.

Super zooms - I know the Fuji S6000 also starts at 28mm. Again not sure about add ons for it.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote