Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1

Up until now I have been using a point and shoot camera. I want to move to an slr, most likely a Nikon D40. I tested on at the store, put it up to my face, and shot some photos. I took the camera away from my face....and noticed nose smudges on the lcd, nose prints.

I shot the photo using my left eye. I have no choice. I am almost blind in my right eye. I will have to shoot lefty if I got to the Nikon D40.

Would I be the only one shooting with the left eye? Are nose or face prints common on this type of camera, with the lcd in back? Should I just live with the nose prints, or should I give up any hope of shooting photos with a slr and stay with a point and shoot? Again the right eye is out of the question.

Also I wear tri-focals...

Comments would be appreciated.

jeffh129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:39 PM   #2

There must be a lot of left eyed dominant people out there who shoot with DSLR's, and yes, smudges on the lcd occur from handling and shooting with either eye. While the D40 does not come with a protector, there is already an after-market one (attaches to the view finder eye cup area) or you could put a lcd screen protector over only that part. Some of the thin lcd protectors (available for phones and various hand held data devices) are almost neutral optically and some are made so that any trapped bubbles go away within a few hours.

You can adapt and the D40 is a bargain, in my opinion.

Another consideration might be one of the cameras with a swing out lcd screen. Check them out and determine what feels best to you. Let us know how it all works out and happy shopping.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:01 PM   #3

what happened to my post? I can't see it. Can anyone?
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:23 PM   #4

I can read your post if I highlight it - looks like the text is black on a black background.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:06 PM   #5

One more time... maybe this time my post will be readable.

Up until now I've been using a point and shoot camera. I want to move to an slr, most likelya Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D. I tested one at the store, put it up to my face and snapped several shots. I took the camera away from my face and noticed nose smudges in the lcd...nose prints.

I shot the pictures using my left eye. I am almost blind in my right eye, it's all but useless. If I do go to a slr I will have to shoot lefty.

Am I the only one who'd be shooting lefty? Anyone else have problems with face and nose prints on the lcd? Should I adjust to this, just learn to live with it, or am I forever going to be using a point and shoot camera?

Also, I wear tri-focals. Surprisingly I see better than you would think.

I plan on "test driving" a slr at my local camera shop. Still a brief test doesn't always tell the whole story.

Any comments or suggestions on my issues would be appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:27 PM   #6
Administrator

flippedgazelle wrote:
Quote:
I can read your post if I highlight it - looks like the text is black on a black background.
It's a feature of the WowBB software. lol

Unfortunately, if you change your preferences to another theme (you can select between Shades, Default and Default2), and use anything other than the default text color, it may not translate properly to another theme.

I can see the first post fine if my preferences are set to the "Default" board theme. But, if I use the "Shades" theme (which is the theme we usually default new members to since it matches the color scheme of the main site), it's black on black text.

So, it's not a good idea to change the text colors when you post. Hopefully, we'll figure out a way to solve it at some point. But, right this minute, it can present some problems since not all members have their preferences set the same way for Board Theme (the color scheme of the forums they see).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:40 PM   #7
Administrator

Personally, I'd just live with the nose prints. My nose is pressing into my camera and I'm shooting with my right eye. It's not a big deal. I'll try not to sneeze when I shoot. :-)

I would try out cameras you're interested in to make sure you're comfortable with ergonomics, viewfinder, etc. There can be a pretty significant difference in things like viewfinder quality and eye relief, which can be important if you wear glasses.

You could also get a Zigview (and http://www.bhphotovideo.com has them in the U.S.).

http://www.zigview.co.uk/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote