Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:28 PM   #1

Good afternoon.

I am looking for a few websites with this camera for sale at a good price. We are needing like 6 to 10 of them. We need to stay with this model since we need date stamp and are not worried about megapixels.

Thanks

scottnj1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:48 PM   #2
Administrator

That's an older discontinued model, and I'm not sure I'd trust any dealers that claim they still have it in stock, unless it was a "brick and mortar" dealer where I could see the cameras.

The DSC-S40 was announced in February 2005 (two years ago, which is a very long time in consumer electronics). It's been discontined for a while.

Anyway, the date time stamp is is embedded in an image file in a header known as the EXIF.

This EXIF information is found in JPEG files produced by Digital Cameras from every major camera manufacturer (along with other information like aperture, shutter speed, focal length and more). Almost any good image editor can see this information.

For cameras that don't have a date/time stamp feature, you can use software to grab it from the EXIF and stamp it on the image.

Some cameras have a date stamp feature, and some cameras don't.

One example of a free utility isExifer for Windows (it's watermark feature can read the date/time information from the EXIF, and place it on the photos in batch mode).

Using this technique (instead of a camera's date stamp feature), insures that you always have originals without the date stamp (since it can be unsightly). Simplywork with copies of your originals so you'll have versions with and without a date stamp.

Some printing software can also place the date on a photo when printing (reading it from the header in the image file). Even the free EasyPrint software Canon includes with some of it's newer Pixma printers has this feature (and some third party printing software like QImage Pro can also do this, with nodate stampfeature in the camera needed).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:52 PM   #3

No we need a model that will actually put that date on teh face of the picture.

the only camera we have found this feature on it is the HP brand, but those cameras break too easily. The sony has done well in the field. We also were using the dsc-p72 and 73 and those are about 75% of them are still going strong with the treatment they get. 5 days a week taking 15 to 100 pictures a day.

I wanted to try to go with the last sony model that had the actual date stamp. So far the 40 was the one I could find.

Thanks

Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:39 PM   #4
Administrator

Most of the Kodak and Canon models have a date stamp feature (although it only works in 3:2 "postcard" mode with most Canon models). Of course, if you're printing 4x6" prints, using the 3:2 setting is the best way to setup the camera anyway (so that you're not cropping the image to print it).

Check the reviews here and look at the record and setup menu sections for models you're interested in, and if a camera has a date stamp feature, you'll find an option for it somewhere in the menus. Our Best Cameras List is a good place to start your search:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Or, start a new thread that includes any other requirements you have and let users suggest some models that best fit your requirements and budget (making sure to note that the date stamp feature is a must). With a subject of "DSC-S40 Sony needed", nobody is going to suggest alternatives. ;-)

Do you have to print directly from the camera or take the memory card straight to somewhere for printing before you can get to a PC?

Again, you can use software to get it from the EXIF and place it on a photo.

It's really not that much trouble and some free utilities available even let you select things like position, color, font and more. You could probably get it to look exactly like the stamp your existing cameras put on the images. lol

Then, after you batch process the images to date stamp them (and some of them will do it for a batch of photos at a time, letting you select the ones you want to stamp), print them using whatever software you normally use (or send them out to be printed).

The only difference is that you're doing it versus the camera doing it.

Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:57 PM   #5
Administrator

It looks like all you're looking for is an entry level model. A Quick Glance at the entry level models on our Best Cameras List shows a Kodak Easyshare C533 that has it (I checked the review). It's a date stamp only and this Kodak lets you select from 3 different date stamp formats:

Date Stamp - Off, YYYY MM DD, MM DD YYYY, DD MM YYYY (overlay date stamp in lower right hand corner of picture)

The best price I see from a reputable dealer that I'd trust is from Buydig.com (a.k.a., Beach Camera). They usually have the best prices on the camera bodies. But, you have to watch out for their accessories prices and I'd personally avoid the package deals with no name brand junk you may not want.

Kodak Easyshare C533 for $97.95 at buydig.com

The Canon A460 in the Entry Level section of our Best Cameras List also has this feature if you're in 3:2 Postcard mode. Cameras in this list are deemed to be a good value within their market niche.

Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. Will take a look at them.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:17 PM   #7
Administrator

There are many more. I think just about all of the Kodak models have it. That's probably the case for most Canon models, too (just check the menu options we show in our reviews to see what options you have for any given model).

Make sure to read the review conclusion sections for any cameras you consider. That's where you'll find the best info on how they compare (startup times, AF speed/reliability, etc.).

I personally wouldn't use it (since it can be unsightly and even mess up a portion of an image you may want to keep).

I'd suggest using software to put the stamp on the images. It's a simple process.

Here is a thread that I even put some screen prints in showing how to do it (and you can do a lot of images at one time with it's batch mode), and once it's setup, you don't have to repeat that part (it can save your desired settings for watermarks).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

Irfanview (also free) can process images in batch mode and date stamp them based on the date in the image's EXIF.