Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:56 AM   #1

I picked up the Fuji F20 at Kit's last weekend for $200. I initially went in looking for the Canon A550 but the Fuji's lithium battery kind of swayed me (plus, I have always read good things about Fujifilm cameras and wanted to try one). I also like the Anti-Blur picture stabilisation on the F20. So, off I went and I must say that I am fairly happy with the F20 but I would really like to havethe prominent right-side hand hold (my first camera, a Nikon 775 has that and I love it). Here are some of the notable differences between the A550 and F20:

[*]A550 is 7.4 megapixel vs. 6.3 MP on the F20 [/*][*]A550 has a 4x optical zoom vs. 3x on the F20 [/*][*]A550's digital zoom is 4x vs. 6.2x on the F20 [/*][*]A550's focus range is 18 in. vs 24 in. on the F20 [/*][*]A550's macro focus range is 15 - 24 in. (w) / 13.2 - 18 in. (t) vs. 2 - 31.2 (w) / 12 - 31.2 in. (t) on the F20 [/*][*]A550's 35mm zoom lens is 35 - 140mm vs. 36 - 108mm on the F20 [/*][*]A550's focal length is 5.8 - 23.2mm vs. 8 - 24mm on the F20 [/*][*]F20's flash ISO speeds go to 1600 while the A550 appears to top out at 800 (see this page [/*][*]F20's display is a nice 2.5 in. non-glare while the A550's is 2 in [/*][*]F20 has a built-in microphone (A550 does not) [/*]

I can live without the lithium batteries (I can use Eneloops) but I do like the F20's larger display and I think that I prefer scene mode selections being in the menu over the A550's dial (I can never remember what all those little picturesmean). The price is the same so please give me some opinions or recommend another camera in the $200 - 250 range. Thanks!

alton krenslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:44 AM   #2

I bought the F20 for my wife and liked carrying it around so much (fits, caseless, in a shirt pocket) that I got another for myself.

For low light it's great. I've shot at ISO 1600, printed 8x11 and could not see any pixelization or fuzziness. I recomend it, though I use the S5200 for theatre shots.

Pegleg
Pegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:20 AM   #3

Well, I've decided to return the F20 and try the A550.If the Fuji F40d was out I might give it a try. There was nothing really wrong with the F20 but I feel that the A550 will give me room to grow a bit more.

Interestingly, I would not agree that the F20 performs well in low light. A few pics in Landscape mode are very dark (but I haven'treally had enough time to fully experiment with the F20).
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:21 AM   #4

Well, the F20 performs well in low-light relative to other cameras in its class.

Without seeing a landscape photo you have referenced, I can't really tell if the the problem is a limitation of the camera or technique/settings need to be adjusted.

I agree, the Canon A series are great cameras to grow with. I also feel they do better outdoors than the Fuji F-series cameras.

I think we would all be very interested to see photos you take with the A550, as it is a new camera.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:36 AM   #5

I think that the couple photos that I took in Landscape mode look very dark b/c the ambient lighting was dark and I didn't use the flash. I hadn't had time to read the instructions fully so I should probably have been in Auto mode or maybe I could've "forced" the flash to work in Landscape, I don't know. Attached is one of my "dark" photos.

As I said, the F20 is a fine camera but when I compared features the A550 seemed to give more bang for the buck. I also like that the A550 displays (briefly) the name of the mode selected with the rotary dial. I will try and post some photos taken with the A550 over time. Thanks for the replies.
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:30 PM   #6

It looks like the camera simply tried to find the best balance between the bright sky and the dark trees. Scenes with a lot of contrast can be tricky and sometimes you'll need to make manual adjustments. In this case, the best thing to do would have been to use positive exposure compensation; +1/3 or +2/3 EV should do it. It isn't something you necessarily would have known to do before taking the picture the first time. But that's what's so great about digital. You take one picture, and you can see right away how it turned out. If you don't like it, change settings, and take it again.

Flash would have been useless for a photo like this. It wouldn't have the coverage to properly expose the trees.

Stephanie

--------------------

My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:31 AM   #7
rey

sjseto wrote:
Quote:
It looks like the camera simply tried to find the best balance between the bright sky and the dark trees. Scenes with a lot of contrast can be tricky and sometimes you'll need to make manual adjustments. In this case, the best thing to do would have been to use positive exposure compensation; +1/3 or +2/3 EV should do it. It isn't something you necessarily would have known to do before taking the picture the first time. But that's what's so great about digital. You take one picture, and you can see right away how it turned out. If you don't like it, change settings, and take it again.

Flash would have been useless for a photo like this. It wouldn't have the coverage to properly expose the trees.

Stephanie

--------------------

Great pics, Stephanie. The F30 clearly produces pics that are usable at ISO1600, and probably ISO3200 for small prints as well. I'm sure the F20 is relatively the same.

I agree regarding the composition of that foliage shot. Shooting a backlighted landscape with a huge part of the bright cloud included in the scene probably what threw-off the metering.

I'm also shopping for a P&S to complement my D50 and I'm leaning towards the F20. The only thing I really don't like about it is that it doesn't use SD card. My old 2MP Fuji 2800 Zoom used a memory card (SmartMedia) that became extinct during the "format wars" of a few years ago.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:29 PM   #8

rey wrote:
Quote:
Great pics, Stephanie. The F30 clearly produces pics that are usable at ISO1600, and probably ISO3200 for small prints as well. I'm sure the F20 is relatively the same.

I agree regarding the composition of that foliage shot. Shooting a backlighted landscape with a huge part of the bright cloud included in the scene probably what threw-off the metering.

I'm also shopping for a P&S to complement my D50 and I'm leaning towards the F20. The only thing I really don't like about it is that it doesn't use SD card. My old 2MP Fuji 2800 Zoom used a memory card (SmartMedia) that became extinct during the "format wars" of a few years ago.
Thanks for the compliment, Rey.

If you want a camera that uses SD cards, just wait for the F40fd to come out. It's the upgrade to the F20, and it will take both xD and SD cards.

Stephanie

--------------------

sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote