Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:44 AM   #11

John-

Oh, come on! John you are great photographer and a good friend. I am not being testy at all! I was attemping to be helpful. If you will just look up a bit higher in that very same post, I very clearly acknowledged that any of the consumer level DSLR cameras could accomplish the safari assignment.

However, a safari trip is a veryexpensive undertaking, my friend's biggest personal issue was that he wanted a proven camera set-up that would work for him with his low photographic experience. That one actually did the jobfor him. I will say it again least my statement gets lost in the many words:

Any consumer level DSLR camera is capable of handling the typical daytime African Safari situation. It is all a matter of personal choice.

Please remember, John, I shoot with Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and K-M DSLR cameras. Yes, I like the Nikon D-40, but these photos could have also been taken with: the Canon XT, XTi, 30D, 5D,the Nikon D-50, D-80, D-70s, or D-200, the Pentax K-100 or the K-10, the KM 5D or 7D, or the Sony A-100. Take your choice. The fun of photography is trying and experimenting with different equipment. I really am much more open minded than you sometimes give me credit for at times, John.

Have a great weekend, I am off to do 30 days worth of DSLR workshops.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:49 PM   #12

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The fun of photography is trying and experimenting with different equipment. I really am much more open minded than you sometimes give me credit for at times, John.

Have a great weekend, I am off to do 30 days worth of DSLR workshops.

MT/Sarah
Sarah - most people don't have the luxury of buying multiple cameras. That's why it's very important to get a good match right off the bat. Most people asking for advice are looking for a camera that will serve them for at least several years. So, while it may be fun to play and experiment - that experimentation can be very costly for someone who can only afford to buy one camera and incomplete advice coming from this forum leads them to buy a camera that might not serve them for multiple years. I don't consider $900 as play money and I'm sure the OP doesn't either.

So I don't question whether you're open minded I only tried to point out that the advice given wasn't the whole picture. And that while I agreed the 70-300 is a great lens - it might be worth considering a different body in the same system so you can use 100% of the lenses available in the Nikon system and not just a handful.

Enjoy your workshops!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:32 PM   #13

When doing nature shooting, I usually find that I need as much zoom as I can get, and that means using either a tripod or some kind of stabilization. Since you're on a budget, I'd suggest one of the cameras with built-in stabilization.

The number 1 camera on my list would be the Pentax K10D. It has stabilization, a high resolution sensor, good quality at ISO 1200, weather sealing, dust reduction, and about the same overall performance as any other mid-range camera.

After that, I'd look at either the Pentax K100D or the Sony A100. The Sony is a more feature rich and higher performing camera in most ways, except that it has pretty poor high ISO performance. The K100D has excellent high ISO performance, looking very good up to ISO 1600 making it great for turning up the shutter speed or shooting under a dense forest canopy, but it's a bit light on features and performance compared to the other two, and while I think 6 megapixels is about as high as most people need, if think you might be printing posters the extra megapixels of the other two wouldn't be a waste.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote