Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:53 PM   #21

I can't believe that I am already doing this, but what do you think of the Fuji A610? I'm going for best price and ease-of-use now. 6.3 MP is sufficient for my landscape project and I can get it at Amazon for $130. I could use my 1 GB xD card and return the Ritz/Lexar SD. Only problem is that Amazon won't have it until April 10.

Or, I could get the FujiA800 8 MP at Amazon for $177, but not until April 10. I could always go back to the F20 and get it at Amazon for $149 (I won't pay $220, which is what Kit's wants for it). The problem with either of these options is that in the interim, with either the A610 or A800, I'd be stuck with my 2.1 MP Nikon 775. Not the worst thing in the world but not ideal either.
alton krenslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:54 PM   #22

Yup, 2048x1536 is 3 megapixel.

I know DCResource hasn't reviewed the S850, but they have reviewed the NV7, and the review is certainly representative of recent Samsung cameras.

That said, the most important thing is that you are happy with it!

Edit: I just saw your post one minute before mine... I haven't used nor do I know anyone with any of the Fuji A-series cameras. What little I have read/heard about them has not been particularly complimentary. For a $150-ish camera, I'd probably prefer the Kodak C875 or an entry-level Canon or Sony.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:04 PM   #23

Another option would be the Canon SD630 from Staples for $219 after the $50 rebate.

If it sounds like I'm already racing back to the store to return the S850, that's not the case. I've been poking around the Samsung forums here and at DC Resource and at DP Review and they don't appear to be "highly populated". I'm wondering what the responses (and wait time, not to mention experience level)would be like for the Samsung S850 vs. almost any Fuji or Canon model. It's something to consider.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:10 PM   #24

Not sure why you have not considered any Panasonics as an option. If its to document your lanscaping project then surely most pics will be taken in sunlight, hence the noise issue is a moot point.
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:07 PM   #25

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
Not sure why you have not considered any Panasonics as an option.
Thank you for your comment. I'm not sure how much of this thread you have read (and it is getting awfully long) but in my very first post on Page 1 I asked about the Panasonic DMC-LZ7. For a short while I was (overly) concerned about the noise issue and Panasonic cameras but I have since taken an honest look at my current needs and long-term goals. What I need right now is a good 5-6+ MP camera that is easy to use and preferably takes AA batteries and an xD memory card (because I have the xD card fromthe F20 and Eneloops from the Canon A550). An SD card would be OK, too.

I don't want to spend more than $250 and my ideal goal is around $160 - $210. The Panasonic models that are in my price range are (prices are MSRP):
  • DMC-LZ3 - 5 MP, 6x Opt. Zoom, $180 [/*]
  • DMC-LZ5 - 6 MP, 6x Opt. Zoom, $230 [/*]
  • DMC-FX01 - 6 MP, 3.6 Opt. Zoom, $200 from Amazon.com merchant AbeBundles [/*]
  • DMC-FX3 - 6 MP, 3x Opt. Zoom, $230 [/*]
  • DMC-LZ7 - 7.2 MP, 6x Opt. Zoom, $200[/*]
The only thing that I don't like about the LZ7 is that the display's resolution is just 115,000 pixels.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:23 AM   #26

Alton, IMHO, you've already returned two of the better cameras in that price range. If you keep this up you're going to drive up prices for all of the rest of us. :!:

It sounded like you really wanted the A560. Which sounds like a pretty good deal for only about $30 more than the A550. So if you decide the Samsung isn't up to snuff, maybe your best bet would be to just wait the month until the Canon is available.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:33 AM   #27

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Alton, IMHO, you've already returned two of the better cameras in that price range. If you keep this up you're going to drive up prices for all of the rest of us. :!:

It sounded like you really wanted the A560. Which sounds like a pretty good deal for only about $30 more than the A550. So if you decide the Samsung isn't up to snuff, maybe your best bet would be to just wait the month until the Canon is available.
:GI think thatyou're right on some counts. My favorite of these trial cameras was probably the F20. I loved the non-glare 2.5" display. The U/I was relatively easy and the camera was nice. I liked that it came with an adjustable wrist lanyard (Canon & Samsung don't so I have to spend $6 to get one). Maybe the xD card is not the ideal (it seems that Fuji is in the minority camp) but I got a 1 GB Type "M" for $17. The proprietarylithium-ionbattery is also not ideal as I would rather use Sanyo Eneloop AA. The "problem" for me with the F20 is that I just don't like buying last year's model of anything. I keep looking at the F40fd but that's closer to $300.

As for the Canon A550, once I saw the A560 at their site there was no way that I was going to keep it, primarily b/c of the A560's 2.5" display. The Canon's display resolution is 115,000 pixels vs. the F20's 153,000 (the S850 has 'em both beat with 230K pixels). The A560 has an optical viewfinder and 4x optical zoom while the F20's optical zoom is 3x and lacks an optical viewfinder. The Canon has a nice hand grip while the Fuji does not. While the A550 aggravated me by not cooperating with Microsoft's Scanner & Camera Wizard and then refusing to install it's own s/w (insufficient screen resolution message) I discovered that I can just close the MS Wizard and go to My Computer and copy the images to a folder. The downside of this process is that I have to rename each image, a chore when working with 40+ pics.

Andnow the Samsung S850 enters the ring: 8.1 MP, 5x optical zoom, Advanced Shake Reduction, 20 MB onboard memory, hand grip, fairly easy to follow U/I. I had to buy an adjustable wrist lanyard but already had AA Eneloops. Also had to buy an SD card (Ritz "Big Print" by Lexar - could someone pls. comment on this thread?) - $30 for 1 GB. No optical viewfinder, which could be a pain in the future. I prefer silver to black so if I keep it I'll see if Kit's has a silver model. The price is "right" at $200. One of my concerns is the level of community support (like this forum) for Samsung cameras in general.

Flippedgazelle came along and scared me yesterday by telling me to look at DC Resource's review of the Samsung NV7. I just looked at it (damn you, dial-up!) and I can find some similar pros and cons:
  • Power-up & lens extension with the S850 is about 2 seconds (3 sec. with the NV7)[/*]
  • I haven't had any red-eye issues yet (haven't taken any people pics - next project!) so I'm not sure how it handles this - I hope it's not a "big problem" as with the NV7 [/*]
  • User interface is acceptable to me, but just that: acceptable (I preferred the F20's) [/*]
  • Low light LCD visibility could be better [/*]
  • No optical viewfinder
I have no experience yet with these aspects of the S850 (taken from the DC Resource NV7 review) - I don't know if I should just assume that these negative aspects of the NV7 will be duplicated in the S850:
[/*]
  • Images are noisy and plagued by noise reduction artifacts, even at low ISOs (what should I be looking for in a "noisy image"?) [/*]
  • Unimpressive continuous shooting modes [/*]
  • Using ASR (advanced shake reduction) feature slows down shot-to-shot speeds dramatically; not really necessary with OPS present
[/*]
The S850 does support SDHC cards (a "pro", I guess). I doubt that I'd ever use the "Effect" button. From Samsung's S850 page:

"The Samsung S850 has some intriguing special effect functions - including Colour Effect, Highlight, Photo Frame and Composite Shot - that give you unique, and sometimes amusing, shooting experiences beyond conventional picture-taking. You can access each of these special effects with just one touch of the "E" button."

Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:13 AM   #28

:|Surprise, I'm back! After some thoughtful contemplation I have come to the conclusion that the Samsung S850 is probably not the best camera value for the dollar. I was looking at Amazon and found the Canon A630 for $222.95 from Adorama (link is to Amazon's A630 page). Standard shipping (3-7 days)is *free* or Expedited (1-3 days) is $20.95, for a total of $243.90. It just doesn't make sense to wait a month for the A560 and get a lesser camera. The A630 looks quite daunting (I imagine a steep learning curve) but maybe I'll be prompted to get out and experiment with it once I am comfortable. The only other contender was the A710 IS, mostly for it's smaller size & lighter weight, but, at $260 (Amazon), the A630 wins.

Now onto memory cards: Can the A630 use SDHC cards? Or do I need to use the non-High Capacityflavor? Is the Lexar Professional 133x SD card significantly better than their "Standard" SD card? The price for a Lexar Pro 1 GB at Kit's is $50 while the "Big Print" Ritz by Lexar ("Standard") is $30? I have to go to Kit's to return the Samsung so I need to decide on which card to get. This Lexar comparison chart says that the Pro SD 133x has "WA Technology" but I can't tell what that means b/c when I click the "WA" link I am taken back to the memory card product page.

The Lexar Pro 133x SD cards include Lexar's Image Rescue 2.0 s/w and Corel's Paint Shop Pro 9 so the card & software bundle is a better value but I wonder how much better/faster (& more reliable)thePro 133x cardsactually are over Lexar's "Standard" (Ritz) SD cards.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 3:14 AM   #29

According to the Canon Canada website, the A630 will work with SDHC cards.

As for what SD card to use, I'm not an expert. But I don't think that P&S cameras can really take advantage of thespeed that a 133x cardoffers.If you're planning on getting a DSLR in the future, maybe it would be useful. But ina P&S like the A630 I think it's overkill.Lexar's Platinum60x card should be more than enough.

Stephanie

----------

My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:46 AM   #30

sjseto wrote:
Quote:
According to the Canon Canada website, the A630 will work with SDHC cards.
Hi Stephanie,

Shortly after posting my question about SDHC cards I re-read the DC Resource review and saw that the A630 can use the HC card. The Lexar Platinum II card shoud serve my point and shoot needs adequately, then? It's cool that Lexar bundles their higher end cards with extra software like Corel's Photo Album 6 (comes with Platinum II).
Thank you again for the valuable tip!