Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:26 AM   #1

Hi everyone, new here and would love some input.

Quick background: I, like seems everyone does, read read and read more, suffered and thought till my brain was dead, trying to decide on which superzoom to get. I finally on impulse thought 'enough!' and bought the Canon S3 IS. I was battling in my mind between it and the Fuji 9100. Now that I have the Canon I'm not quite satisfied..... I've noticed, quite few times the 'focus problem' it has, so had to throw out quite a few shots. Also, am noticing the limits with only 6mp when cropping.

I've read a ton of reviews, one thing I've noticed is if you filter out the tone and comments of the review and just read the data, almost all the superzooms have problems with higher isos and that seemed to be the only concern with the Fuji.
I know the Canon has IS, but I've lived without it this long and am used to using a tripod for long or low light shots anyway....

Anyone out there have any 'in hands' experience with the Fuji that could help me decide? (I have a few days to decide as I can return the Canon on a satisfaction guarantee)

Thanks!
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2

I have the Fuji S9100. It's decent at low light. It also has a 28mm wide angle setting.

Which camera is better for you? I think it depends what you are taking pictures of and when. The S9100 is not great at sports shots in low light. The maximum aperture is f4.9 at full zoom (300 mm). I think my S5200, with its maximum aperture of f3.2, is slightly better at full zoom. However, for family portraits or daytime photography, the S9100 is quite good.

Tell us more about your typical photo settings (what you are photographing) and people can make more useful suggestions to you. I imagine some will be advising you to consider DSLR's.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I would say I have 3 main areas,
Macro (insects and such, flowers,etc.)
Indoor (both flash and without if possible)
and landscape (scenic, mountains, streams, etc.)

I've looked at quite a few pics on line and I know it's harder to judge that way, but am really impressed with the quality of the Fuji pics. What is making me lean so hard towards it are these things,
*super macro and macro
*Manual zoom (i'm hating that zoom lever!!! woops too far, oops too far back..)
*Manual focus ring (also hating the button push manual, takes forever!)
*No mention from anyone about auto focus problems but lots of them with Canon
*The 9 mpx sounds good as I like to crop if I snag a bird shot from a distance

I see a lot of people debating between the 6000 and 9100, they both sound really good but the higher mpx with the 9100 do appeal to me for cropping.

I would love a DSLR BUT... the Fuji is about my maximum max on price right now and I must admit, I do like the movie functions in the superzooms.

thanks folks!

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I have the Fuji S9100. It's decent at low light. It also has a 28mm wide angle setting.

Which camera is better for you? I think it depends what you are taking pictures of and when. The S9100 is not great at sports shots in low light. The maximum aperture is f4.9 at full zoom (300 mm). I think my S5200, with its maximum aperture of f3.2, is slightly better at full zoom. However, for family portraits or daytime photography, the S9100 is quite good.

Tell us more about your typical photo settings (what you are photographing) and people can make more useful suggestions to you. I imagine some will be advising you to consider DSLR's.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 6:40 PM   #4

The S9100 has dropped in price a lot since I got mine in November. So has the S6000fd. If you didn't care about the extrra megapixel, hotshoe, and articulating LCD screen, I would recommend the S6000fd, as it seems to have better low light performance and you don't appear to be that interested in taking pictures at night time sports games.

DLSR's have dropped a lot in price. You can get one (Pentax K110D) for less than $450 online. That camera has ISO 3200 settings available. It's good at ISO 800 and not that bad at ISO 1600. There are a lot of other entry level cameras for less than $750. I like my Fuji, but don't talk yourself out of a DSLR because of the price.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:20 AM   #5

Hey good to read this info. last night I noticed no one else had given advice so after reading many reviews, I ordered the 6000. I ended up getting a double sale on it. 340 in the end.

I was very tempted to try and push my budget to a dslr, but to really have it the way I wanted, I'd need to have bought a couple lenses also. 'ouch'. So I guess it's my wallet that talked me out of that idea LOL

Thanks for the help! I'll post some pics and 1st impressions when the 6000 arrives.

robbo wrote:
Quote:
The S9100 has dropped in price a lot since I got mine in November. So has the S6000fd. If you didn't care about the extrra megapixel, hotshoe, and articulating LCD screen, I would recommend the S6000fd, as it seems to have better low light performance and you don't appear to be that interested in taking pictures at night time sports games.

DLSR's have dropped a lot in price. You can get one (Pentax K110D) for less than $450 online. That camera has ISO 3200 settings available. It's good at ISO 800 and not that bad at ISO 1600. There are a lot of other entry level cameras for less than $750. I like my Fuji, but don't talk yourself out of a DSLR because of the price.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:23 AM   #6

Congratulations on your purchase. I think you will like it. I came close to getting the S6000fd myself.

We are awaiting the posting of your first pictures in a week or so. Enjoy!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:28 AM   #7

Hey thanks, much appreciated! I'm excited for it to arrive. It's supposed to be at my house tomorrow or the next day at the latest.

I noticed your in Seattle, I'm in N. Idaho. We've been to Seattle many times, I love the zoo there, do you take a lot of photo's there? (The Tacoma zoo is cool too, but love the Gorillas at the Seattle zoo)

Ron

robbo wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations on your purchase. I think you will like it. I came close to getting the S6000fd myself.

We are awaiting the posting of your first pictures in a week or so. Enjoy!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:58 AM   #8

Ron,

Being a tightwad, I prefer to take pictures of the Space Needle, where there is no entrance fee (outside, I mean). I took some pictures of the zoo here about 1 1/2 years ago, when I had the Fuji S5100. I think the animals there are waiting for your arrival with the new camera. Don't disappoint them!

Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:26 AM   #9

The spaceneedle is sure a worthy subject! I have never been up there though.. I HATE heights!! :O

I hope someday to get back to the Seattle zoo. I would love to have a nice camera to take pics there. Last time I was there was about 20 years ago.

Have you been to the underground city? I always wanted to see that but never had the chance.

Cheers for the Old Spagetti Factory though, I could go for some of that right now!

robbo wrote:
Quote:
Ron,

Being a tightwad, I prefer to take pictures of the Space Needle, where there is no entrance fee (outside, I mean). I took some pictures of the zoo here about 1 1/2 years ago, when I had the Fuji S5100. I think the animals there are waiting for your arrival with the new camera. Don't disappoint them!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:04 PM   #10

Less than 24 hours till the new cam arrives, I'm actually quite excited. I haven't really been excited for something in a long time!