Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:49 AM   #21

Ken's right on the lenses. I have a Pentax K100D and a decent collection of old, used lenses. All of my primes work very well and tend to have pretty high quality even at wide apertures, even my old screw mount 50mm f/1.4.

However, my one zoom lens, a Sears multicoated 80-200mm f/4, is a giant pain. It's very bulky and has very low quality at wider apertures, so I think I'd be much better off with one of the newer, smaller 4-5.6 zooms. I also like manual focusing (all my lenses except the kit are manual), but manually focusing a long telephoto zoom lens is much more difficult than a smaller prime, not to mention the camera doesn't know what focal length I'm using and can't compensate it's shake reduction.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:05 PM   #22

My cousin, who is an avid amateur sports photographer, has the Nikon D80 and he LOVES IT. Any reason not to choose that one over the D50?
AngieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:17 PM   #23

AngieG wrote:
Quote:
My cousin, who is an avid amateur sports photographer, has the Nikon D80 and he LOVES IT. Any reason not to choose that one over the D50?
NO - no reason at all. The D80 will be a better camera than the D50. It performs just as well in low light and has better feature set and more resolution.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:42 PM   #24

cost would be a reason to consider the d50 over the d80, with what you save you could get some other kit for your cam. if just going on image quality alone, get the d80. post some pics whatever cam you get, thanks!
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:08 PM   #25

Okay...I got the camera; the Nikon D80. It is wonderful to be holding an SLR again!

I did try using the lens that came with the kit for low light. Total failure. I had to shoot at about 1600 ISO to get anything. I definitely need a fast prime lens!!!

So, now I am torn...whether to go with the Nikkor 50mm 1.4 or the 35mm 2.0. They are so close in price, I just want to get the best lens for low light (I'm sure either will do fine in normal lighting situations). I'm leaning toward the 35mm, just for the wider view.

Any suggestions?

-Angie
AngieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:14 PM   #26

The 50mm is a full f-stop faster than the 35mm. That means that it can take properly exposed photos with half the light.

The 50mm would be a short telephoto lens (like a portrait lens), while the 35mm would be like a normal lens.

Which do you think you'd get the most use out of?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:17 PM   #27

Seems like a pretty easy choice. Unless you find yourself only a few feet away from the stage and unable to backup, the 50mm is both brighter and will bring you closer.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:32 PM   #28

For low light environments I use a Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens on my Nikon D-50 and have had good results. Here is a sample photo. I used ISO 800 and had a nice high shutter speed. That same lens can also be used on the Nikon D-40, D-50, D-80, and D-200.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:23 PM   #29

Steve Martin: What the h*ll is that?!

Bill Murray: What the h*ll is that?

Steve Martin: I don't know what the h*ll that is!

Bill Murray: What in the h*ll is that?!

Steve Martin: Hey, you kids! Get away from there!

Bill Murray: I would not mess with that thing..

Steve Martin: Don't put your lips on it!

Bill Murray: [ ever curious] What the h*ll is this?

Steve Martin: Well.. get a photo of me with it, anyway!

Copyright 1979 Saturday Night Live

:-)

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:38 PM   #30

Well, TCav-

Your post has been there for MORE than 24 hours. Can you now explain or interpet the details of your post, so that the rest of us can really understand your message. Or, was there no message at all? That does not seem to be very clear to us other mortals that just take regular, ordinary photos with our digital cameras.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote