Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2007, 6:21 AM   #1

I am really kinda in a dilema here as I can't make up my mind on which camera to purchase. I've seen good reviews on both. And I have used both of them. I guess the most important area for me is which camera will produce the best and largest prints. Thank you for any advice.
cdmo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:25 AM   #2

So you didn't get to really use them and print photos to compare? I just recently exhanged my S3 for the Fuji S6000, the S3 had good image quality, their both about the same resolution so both would produce really similar prints. I exchanged though for features and 'ease of use'.
sidenote: Comparing on the computer screen only so far, the I like the way the Fuji's pics look better, but that may just be individual taste.

Here is the thread to my first impressions.
Best wishes and happy hunting,
Ron

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:46 PM   #3

Hello,

I currently have a Casio Z850 & really like it because of its size. Now, I need another camera to shoot my son Karate Tournaments (fast action, indoors). Just wondering if the Fuji S6000 would be a good choice. I prefer to stay away from the Digital SLR's because of the extra $ for different lenses. Also, I just saw it at COSTCO On-Line for $299 add tax/shipping .

Thanks for your input!
RosaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:13 PM   #4

I've had both (returned the canon for the fuji). The only thing the Canon has, that the Fuji lacks, is image stabilization. But for me, the ability to shoot clean pics at iso800 with a faster shutter speed is well worth it. Plus the manual zoom is much easier for me anyway. If your shooting indoors and it's not REALLY bright in there, the higher sensitivity of the Fuji might be a better choice. With the Canon, I had a couple problems with indoor shots,
1) If the light was low, it mis-focused quite often
2) I kept it set to iso 100 so the pics would be free of noise but that forced it to use slow shutter speeds. Then even with image stabilization, I still ended up with blurred images.

Here are a couple other reviews that are good to read besides Steve's great ones. You can see the difference in iso performance between the two and it's quite large.

Canon http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S3IS/S3ISA5.HTM
Fuji http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S6000/S6000A5.HTM

RosaC wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I currently have a Casio Z850 & really like it because of its size. Now, I need another camera to shoot my son Karate Tournaments (fast action, indoors). Just wondering if the Fuji S6000 would be a good choice. I prefer to stay away from the Digital SLR's because of the extra $ for different lenses. Also, I just saw it at COSTCO On-Line for $299 add tax/shipping .

Thanks for your input!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:26 PM   #5

Hey Highway,

Thanks so much for your quick reply, I was hoping you would see my message. So, I've seen your previous messages & it looks like you really like your Fuji S6000, right? I haven't actually held this camera but I'm going to do that this weekend. More than likely I will purchase it from COSTCO, $299. Can you believe it? I hope I can get some good fast action shots, in poorly lit auditoriums.

By the way, can you recommend a good beginners book so I can understand ISO etc?

Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:07 PM   #6

Your welcome, I just happened to be online when your post popped in.
Yes I love my Fuji, I did really like the Canon a lot too but was very dispointed at the photos when taking shots in anything less than bright light without a flash.

299 is a great deal! I paid 340 for mine just 2 weeks ago, our Costco didn't have the Fuji's darn it. You should be able to get some nice shots with it, I think (from my use and the reviews) it's about the best thing next to a DSLR for it's iso and quality performance. The movies it takes look really great too!

To be honest, I haven't read much in books on digital, I have some old photography books from back when I used film cameras. There are a lot of really good free articles on the web that can teach a lot on this stuff.

In a nutshell, iso is the sensitivity of the chip or film to light. Digital cameras alter their sensitivity by changing voltages to the sensor chip to mimic the way different iso films would have different sensitivity. For example (using round numbers), let's say your set at iso 100 and the lighting is such that a 1/50th shutter speed would produce an accurate picture. If you change to iso 200, now you can use double the shutter speed of 1/100th of a second. Iso 400 you could use very fast shutter speed of 1/200th of a second. Or to look at it the opposite way, lets say you can hold your camera steady down with shutter speeds as slow as 1/25th of a second. With iso 100 it would have to be pretty light in the room, but with iso 800 at 1/25th, it could be 4 times as dark and you'd still get a good picture.

Try google for some good articles, here's a good page with some articles, read all 3 about understanding exposure,
http://www.mattbango.com/articles.php

Best wishes!
Ron

RosaC wrote:
Quote:
Hey Highway,

Thanks so much for your quick reply, I was hoping you would see my message. So, I've seen your previous messages & it looks like you really like your Fuji S6000, right? I haven't actually held this camera but I'm going to do that this weekend. More than likely I will purchase it from COSTCO, $299. Can you believe it? I hope I can get some good fast action shots, in poorly lit auditoriums.

By the way, can you recommend a good beginners book so I can understand ISO etc?

Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:06 PM   #7

Thanks again Highway !
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:24 PM   #8

Your welcome Best wishes and hope you get some good photos soon!

RosaC wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again Highway !
Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:03 PM   #9

Highway,

What a terrific link to get educated .... thanks. Say, can you tell me if you've been happy with the AA batteries that the Fuji SD6000 uses? Do you have to replace the batteries often?
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:59 PM   #10

Hi Rosa,

Your welcome, glad it helped

I use rechargable batteries and they last pretty long. , I bought 8 of them, then when I see the indicator is saying their running low, I get the other set charged up and ready.

RosaC wrote:
Quote:
Highway,

What a terrific link to get educated .... thanks. Say, can you tell me if you've been happy with the AA batteries that the Fuji SD6000 uses? Do you have to replace the batteries often?