Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:19 AM   #1

Hi !, i wanted to buy a cheap digital SLR camera and i need it to, among other things, take pictures inside theatres where i have low levels of light and the artists are moving. I thought the Pentax K100d was a good option becouse of it`s low price and high ISO sensitivity. What do you think ? any other recomendations ?

Thank you !
arykotlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:37 AM   #2

The k100 should definitely fit the bill, but the camera is only half the equation - you need a good lens to go with it. And that could be a budget issue. How far will you be from the stage? Can you guarantee that same distance every time? The challenge is to get a lens that's bright enough and the right focal length - and that can be tricky. Even with good high ISO performance you probably still want a 2.8 lens. While you don't need really fast shutter speeds you still want 1/125 or so - so you don't have to wait for a complete stop of motion to take your shot.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:10 PM   #3

I agree with John.

Buy the k100D, find a high speed lens, and use a monopod.

If you have the money I'd consider the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 XR DI lens.

Heres a link to details: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/2875mm.asp

This lens is widely considered one of the best high speed aftermarket lenses out there. I've shot the Tamron piece on my k100d and the edge clarity is outstanding. It blows the kit lens away, and the kit lens is pretty good. The price of this lens can range from $350-$400, and through local dealers it has a 6 year U.S. warrenty.

If you need more range you may want to consider a manual focus prime lens of sufficient length. Perhaps a vivitar/takumar/Jcpenny 135mm f2.8 manual focus would work? I'd suggest ebay for used pentax gear of the manual focus high speed nature.

Here is a link to one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Takumar-Pentax-1...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and here's a 200mm F4 that, although not as fast as 2.8, might work: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-67-SMC-TA...QQcmdZViewItem

You may also want to check into a monopod for that added bit of stability (trust me, even with Shake reduction built into the camera, a monopod can give you asteadyshooting platform).

If you're on a budget, here's an inexpensive one: http://porters.com/Merchant2/merchan...oduct_Count=12

Try ISO 800 first, then switch to 1600 if that is not enough. Ideally, the lower the iso the less grain/noise you get in the picture.

Good luck!

-An-D
An-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:46 PM   #4

I agree with Ann up until the point about manual focus. Sorry, but I left manual focus lenses 15 years ago. It's great for fine control when doing macro or even portrait - so manual override is a very nice feature to have. But autofocus and it's precision in today's dslrs is a huge bonus. So I think any solution that backs you into a corner of HAVING to manual focus isn't for everyone. Especially for people that don't have a background in manual focus SLRs.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So think hard about whether you want to back into HAVING to use manual focus. If autofocus is important to you either find a lens within Pentax system BEFORE buying the camera that meets your needs or go with another system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:51 PM   #5

arykotlik wrote:
Quote:
Hi !, i wanted to buy a cheap digital SLR camera and i need it to, among other things, take pictures inside theatres where i have low levels of light and the artists are moving. I thought the Pentax K100d was a good option becouse of it`s low price and high ISO sensitivity. What do you think ? any other recomendations ?

Thank you !
Keep in mind that even the best equipment will be limitedto the actual light available. In some casesit will be fine, but there may be times when it is just too dark to get greatresults. I've taken shots at 1600 and 3200 ISO with a 2.8 28mm-75mm lens and gotten favorable results, but I was close up and the event had great stage lighting. Some shots were a bit grainy at ISO 3200 but at least I was able to get the shot. I carry a few fixed focal lenght lenses (primes), which are brighter, but that limits shot composure unless you can move around.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:51 PM   #6

duplicate post
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7

Thank you all !, it`s been a great help !

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I`ll definitivelly go for the pentax then, and later i`ll buy a good lens
arykotlik is offline   Reply With Quote