Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:49 PM   #1

gonna bite the bullet today. I have been reading all of the posts and Steve's recommendations and have narrowed it down to these two. I have about $1000 to spend.

I can get the Canon XTI for $775 and an extra lens (Canon EF 75-300mm) for another $190. OR. I can get the Olympus Evolt E-500 2 lens kit (14-45mm & 40-150mm) for $655.

We will use it for pictures of the kids, kid's baseball games, and beach vacation.

What do all of you photo experts think?

edited to add: new to the SLR world. we have had many point & shoot digitals, but it is time to step up.
autigers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:10 PM   #2

Well,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I will say I think the Canon system offers much more flexibility than the olympus system (sorry folks - just my opinion) and I have yet to see any credible review that would put the E500 OVER the XTi as a camera body. The focus system in the XTi and it's high iso performance are top notch - which will help with the baseball and any 'indoor' kid shots. I just personally believe the 2/3 sensor of the olympus and the resulting noise from it and the limited lens selection are big strikes against it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"BUT - the 2 kit lens for olympus is going to be much better than the lenses for the Canon camera - especially the 75-300 which is a rather poor lens. I would suggest the Sigma 70-300 is a much better lens for the same price - still not great, but better than the Canon 75-300. Also, while olympus has a limited selection to choose from the lenses they do offer are of very high quality. But you don't have as many options and there aren't many 3rd party lenses that will work on the 2/3 sensor of the olympus DSLR.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Others will disagree, but I think the Olympus is a great bargain given the low price point but if you can swing the extra money the xti is the better camera and canon has the more versatile system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:20 PM   #3

thank you for your help!!!!

I am leaning toward the XTI. Should I hold off on the extra lens? where can I find a Sigma lens at that price?

autigers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:25 PM   #4

B&H has the kit for $744 and the sigma lens for $209. I'm a big fan though of just getting a single lens at first. So unless you have a real need for the reach of the 70-300 I would advise waiting before buying it or any other second lens. If your kids are starting baseball in 2 weeks and you want pictures then buy the lens.

But be advised - while a good bargain, in a lot of ways I equate the sigma to the canon kit lens - a real nice bargain and a great place to start and learn but probably not a long term solution. But the next step up the quality ladder is a big jump in price - up to the $500 range. So it's a big step to get better quality lenses.

Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:30 PM   #5

I'll agree with John that the XTi is a better body feature wise but as you know, some what more $.

The E500 (the camera I own) is a tremendous value, but it is at the extreme end of its product cycle. It brought the 4/3 standard (NOT 2/3) to the masses and that standard is what I believe is the best format for outdoor photography. The 4/3 standard is the ONLY digital specific standard and applies not only to the camera and sensor, but to freshly designed lenses also. Because Olympus chose this route, rather than other manufacturers such as Canon and Nikon using 35mm film lenses, I feel the image quality is better with Olympus than the others up through ISO400. After that point the noise gives the edge to Canon. Where the 4/3 standard shines when you need to carry the camera and long effective focal length lenses in the field. In that situation the Oly will be brighter, or longer, or lighter, or all the above.That's why I feel its the best camera system for outdoor photography.

The E500 offers great kit lenses in comparison to the Canon, andit will produce better images because of the lenses. The other factor that MAY play a factor is how each of the cameras feel to you. To me the Canon is a bit small for my comfort, but you may feel exactly the opposite. The E500's replacement is due to be announced March 5th. Rumors are that it will have in body stabilization, but also rumors are that it will no longer be the entry level camera. If that's true I doubt you would even touch it for the kind of money your talking about.

The Canon has better autofocus, better low light performance, more resolution, more sequential shooting performance and the list goes on. Its a product at the beginning of its product cycle and may very well be the best value right now. If so, I'd follow Johns recommendation on lenses.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:35 PM   #6

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
The other factor that MAY play a factor is how each of the cameras feel to you. To me the Canon is a bit small for my comfort, but you may feel exactly the opposite.
Great point - if you haven't already - go to a store and hold the cameras. I'm with fldspringer in that I don't like the feel of the 400d - I like a bigger camera. But it is important that you're comfortable with the ergonomics of the camera. You may find after you hand-hold them you are inclined towards a different camera (or you may find another camera on display that just feels great to you and you'll have another camera to choose from).