Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1

I will be making a once in a life time trip to Baltimore MD in July. Combination of going to a fire rescue convention (with the ultimate fire rescue parade) sightseeing and a family reunion over 6 days. I plan to take 1000s of pictures. I currently own a Fuji S-5100 digital camera (xD cards, 10x optical zoom 5MP also runs on AAs).

I would like to get a small backup camera to have just in case my Fuji were to go back durning the week. Nothing fancy just a backup camera somethinf I may never use....... I don't want to loose any photo ops with a week like this planned. I was think one of those smaller pocket size camera with 3 or 4x zoom. Soemthing I could just slide into my existing camera bag with my larger Fuji

I also own a wolverine hard disc device that I will take with me with a 20GB internal drive. It can handle xD, Smart Media, CF, SD and Memory Stick cards. However I only own xD cards. I am pretty sure that 20GB should last me week plus my 3 1GB cards can be full when I get home as well for a total of 23GB.

I am willing to buy a 512MB card of another kind if needed.... would just mean I would have to upload to the wolverine several times a day instead of in one round each night with my Fuji and xD cards.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:46 AM   #2

Why not go with another Fuji? The A500 comes to mind. Uses xd cards, AA batteries, 3X optical zoom and costs less than $100.00.
ronsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:53 AM   #3

Thanks I had looked at that camera but wanted to know what others thought was a good backup camera.

dave
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:56 PM   #4

The Fuji F30 or F20 are the ones that I would consider first (or the F31fd/F40fd if you want the most up-to-date versions with face detection), unless you're on a tight budget or want to stick with a camera that uses AA's like your S5100. They are two of the best compact cameras around.

Stephanie

--------------------

My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:29 AM   #5

I agree on the F20. Just over $150. More easily pocketable and probably a bit nicer than the A series. Lacks the manual controls of the higher end F30 or F31, but will do the job nicely as a point and shoot backup camera.

For a bit more, the Z5 is even a bit more compact, if you want something smaller than the F20. Bu I think the F20 photo quality will be a bit better.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:37 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the F20 next week.

dave